Cap Picture for 2019-20 after the Deadline and what’s next.

GASabresIUFAN

This first post is post the Montour trade. Status at end of 2019-20 in ( ), except unsigned players ( ) shows current status.

Forwards signed (7) - Jack, Wilson (UFA), Samson (RFA), Sheary (UFA), Sobotka (UFA), Mitts (RFA), and Thompson (RFA) - $23,050,000

If KO plays that's 8 forwards for $29,050,000.

When Skinner re-signs (I'm thinking 8 for $68 mill) - That's 9 forwards for 37,550,000.

Unsigned players other then Skinner - ERod (RFA), Z (RFA), Larry (RFA), Smith (RFA)

Other internal players of note - Olofsson (RFA), Nylander (1 year left)

Defense signed (8) - Ristolainen, Bogo (UFA), Montour (RFA), Scandella (UFA), Hunwick (UFA), Dahlin, Pilut (RFA) and Nelson (UFA) - $21,917,857

Unsigned - Baloo (RFA) and McCabe (RFA)

Others - Borgen  (1 year left)

Goalies signed (1) - Hutton - 2.75

Unsigned - Ullmark (RFA)

I'm going to assume KO is done and he and his cap hit go to LTIR.  That puts us at 8 forwards (with Skinner ) for $31,550,000, 8 D for $21,917857 and 1 G for 2,750,000 which totals $59,372,857 for 17 players - with 6 "key" RFAs to re-sign.  However if Baloo and McCabe are re-signed, that means two currently signed D have to go.  No team is carrying 10 D.  

This points to someone like Baloo, Scandella or McCabe being traded at this deadline because of the 10 D, 6 are LHD which is 2 to many.

The cap also has plenty of room to add a quality forward/center and still re-sign guys like Samson and Montour at the end of the season.

Also it should be noted that for 2020-2021 we only currently have 4 players (without KO) under contract; Jack, Dahlin, Hutton and Ristolainen.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

17 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This first post is post the Montour trade. Status at end of 2019-20 in ( ), except unsigned players ( ) shows current status.

Forwards signed (7) - Jack, Wilson (UFA), Samson (RFA), Sheary (UFA), Sobotka (UFA), Mitts (RFA), and Thompson (RFA) - $23,050,000

If KO plays that's 8 forwards for $29,050,000.

When Skinner re-signs (I'm thinking 8 for $68 mill) - That's 9 forwards for 37,550,000.

Unsigned players other then Skinner - ERod (RFA), Z (RFA), Larry (RFA), Smith (RFA)

Other internal players of note - Olofsson (RFA), Nylander (1 year left)

Defense signed (8) - Ristolainen, Bogo (UFA), Montour (RFA), Scandella (UFA), Hunwick (UFA), Dahlin, Pilut (RFA) and Nelson (UFA) - $21,917,857

Unsigned - Baloo (RFA) and McCabe (RFA)

Others - Borgen  (1 year left)

Goalies signed (1) - Hutton - 2.75

Unsigned - Ullmark (RFA)

I'm going to assume KO is done and he and his cap hit go to LTIR.  That puts us at 8 forwards (with Skinner ) for $31,550,000, 8 D for $21,917857 and 1 G for 2,750,000 which totals $59,372,857 for 17 players - with 6 "key" RFAs to re-sign.  However if Baloo and McCabe are re-signed, that means two currently signed D have to go.  No team is carrying 10 D.  

This points to someone like Baloo, Scandella or McCabe being traded at this deadline because of the 10 D, 6 are LHD which is 2 to many.

The cap also has plenty of room to add a quality forward/center and still re-sign guys like Samson and Montour at the end of the season.

Also it should be noted that for 2020-2021 we only currently have 4 players (without KO) under contract; Jack, Dahlin, Hutton and Ristolainen.

Skinner isn't signing for anything below $9M per year...especially after Stone just got $9.5M on an 8-year deal.

30 minutes ago, Dank Dangleson said:

Skinner isn't signing for anything below $9M per year...especially after Stone just got $9.5M on an 8-year deal.

People keep saying that, but the Sabres are the ONLY team that can offer him an 8th year.  8 years for $68 total will be better than 7 years at $63 total.

He can ask for $72, doesn't mean he'll get it.

Buffalo has also shown a willingness to work with players on setting up signing bonuses for '20-'21 which helps minimize the wallet hit come lockout time.  Really can't see where he ends up with a better situation than staying here.  Sabres have the cap space, a team where he gets a starring role, is close to his childhood home & family, and has a lot of young talent, AND they don't have an internal cap.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

People keep saying that, but the Sabres are the ONLY team that can offer him an 8th year.  8 years for $68 total will be better than 7 years at $63 total.

He can ask for $72, doesn't mean he'll get it.

Buffalo has also shown a willingness to work with players on setting up signing bonuses for '20-'21 which helps minimize the wallet hit come lockout time.  Really can't see where he ends up with a better situation than staying here.  Sabres have the cap space, a team where he gets a starring role, is close to his childhood home & family, and has a lot of young talent, AND they don't have an internal cap.

I agree completely.  He is re-signing here.  I think he knows we are getting close to becoming a legit team and loves playing with Eichel.  (who wouldn't). 

There are some big difference between Stone and Skinner.  Stone has been remarkably consistent in his 5 year career and is a more complete player. He has 20 or more goal every season, 30-40+ assists each year and 60+ points all but one.  He also plays on both special teams.

Skinner is not nearly as good a defensive player nor does he play on the PK.  He also has been wildly inconsistent in his career ranging from 18 to 37 goals and has never been much of a playmaker. To put it simply Skinner is a one trick pony and that is as a goal scorer.  This isn't a bad thing and is something we desperately need but his defensive short comings will have a negative effect on his paycheck.  

So while Stone's new 8 year deal with the Knights is a comparable, I stick to my original $8.5 estimate.

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I agree completely.  He is re-signing here.  I think he knows we are getting close to becoming a legit team and loves playing with Eichel.  (who wouldn't). 

There are some big difference between Stone and Skinner.  Stone has been remarkably consistent in his 5 year career and is a more complete player. He has 20 or more goal every season, 30-40+ assists each year and 60+ points all but one.  He also plays on both special teams.

Skinner is not nearly as good a defensive player nor does he play on the PK.  He also has been wildly inconsistent in his career ranging from 18 to 37 goals and has never been much of a playmaker. To put it simply Skinner is a one trick pony and that is as a goal scorer.  This isn't a bad thing and is something we desperately need but his defensive short comings will have a negative effect on his paycheck.  

So while Stone's new 8 year deal with the Knights is a comparable, I stick to my original $8.5 estimate.

Yep, on the same page on this one.

Stone is at least a 10% more complete player, all things considered.  His "only" getting $9.5/yr is a good thing from that perspective.

So with the deadline behind us and Montour in, Guhle and Baloo out, some decisions for next season got easier.  KO's return to the lineup tonight was a huge surprise.  While things could change over the summer, I think we have to assume KO returns next season.

So where are we?  Using just internal candidates this is where I think we are.  Obviously this is unlikely to be the opening night roster, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's 85% + correct.

Forwards signed (8) - Jack, Wilson (UFA), Samson (RFA), Sheary (UFA), Sobotka (UFA), Mitts (RFA), KO and Thompson (RFA) - $29,050,000

Jbot will certainly qualify all the forward RFAs:  I see Erod, Girgensons and Larry all returning.  Erod re-signs for 2 years at least, but how much is tricky.  He had 25 pts last year in 48 games and followed it up this near with a 30 pt pace.  He has no leverage but is a good utility player that plays all positions and both special teams.  I suspect Jbot will reward him with 2 years at 1.75 or 3 years at 2.0.  Larry and Z get renewed for an additional season at their current levels (1.475 and 1.6).  Smith gets the minimum and heads back to Roch as he loses his job to Olofsson.  With Erod, Z, Larry and Olofsson. that brings us to 13 forwards for 43.393.  

I also think Nylander gets traded this summer.  

The biggest change here needs to be Sobotka replaced by a superior player to play 2nd/3rd line center.  I think Jbot is happy with a 4th line of Z, Larry and KO, but needs more production from the 2nd and 3rd lines.  Sobotka just doesn't cut it.  I suggest waiving him and sending him to Roch to save about $1 of his 3.5 cap hit.

Defense signed (8) - Ristolainen, Bogo (UFA), Montour (RFA), Scandella (UFA), Hunwick (UFA), Dahlin, Pilut (RFA) and Nelson (UFA) - $21,917,857

McCabe will be re-signed. He looks like a better version of Joel Edmundson.  Joel got $3 mill on a one year deal last season.  I think if we get Jake locked up for 4 years at 3.5 we'll have done well.

Once signed that leaves us with 9 D for 25.418.  I doubt we keep 9.  Someone has to go down or get traded.  The addition of Montour will lead to Risto speculation all summer, but the guys I think might be gone are Bogo, Hunwick and Scandella.  Hunwick can be traded without condition after the 2019 draft.  Given his age and salary, my guess is we are stuck with him one more season as the 8th D.  I'd like to see both Scandella and Bogo traded.  I'd like Jbot to find a defensively responsible RHD to play with Pilut on the 3rd pair.  One can hope right? Still odds favor just Scandella being traded.  If that happens that brings us to 8 D for $21,417,857

Goalies signed (1) - Hutton - 2.75.  Re-sign Ullmark for 3 years at 2.5 per season.  

With only Scandella traded, Skinner re-signed and the RFAs re-signed as well we sit with a complete team of 23 players for 70 mill plus 800K for Coho's buyout.  This gives Jbot a huge amount of cap room to get his 2nd line center and waive/buyout Sobatka. Duchene, Hayes, Nelson, and Johansson are the top choices.  After that there isn't much on the UFA market.  

Skinner Eichel Olofsson

Sheary Mitts Reinhart

Wilson Erod Thompson

Girgensons Larry Okposo

Sobotka

Dahlin Montour

McCabe Ristolainen

Pilut Bogo

Hunwick Nelson

Ullmark Hutton

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Stone is a significantly better player than Skinner because he excels at more things.

That contract is actually a good thing IMO, because it will cement Skinner in the $8.5 million range  more than he deserves probably, but acceptable considering the circumstances.

• Like (+1) 2

Tonight’s game really depressed me.  This team is burnt toast at this point.  

The question is what can Jbot really do to get these guys moving forward?

Intellectually I know most of this team is coming back next season because of their contract status.  But who in heck is going to teach these guys how to win?  Who is going to get that locker room pulling in the right direction?  

Where does he start?  One place is finding some D who can actually play defense.  IMHO we have one player who fits that description and that is McCabe. 

We have at least 10 mill in cap to start.  Where do we begin?

10 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I think they begin with trading Risto. They desperately need a top 6 forward and he is the only one who could fetch that.  Im not anti Risto at all but don’t see anyone else worth anything 

It’s funny but I don’t think that is the plan.  I’m not saying it’s not possible, but maybe the goal is to swap out Scandella and Bogo and replace with good skating but stay at home type D.  This way you have a solid puck mover on all 3 lines Dahlin, Risto and Montour, and Hank Tallinder/McCabe types who can allow those 3 to free lance.

This is also likely a more cap friendly approach then dumping Risto.

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s funny but I don’t think that is the plan.  I’m not saying it’s not possible, but maybe the goal is to swap out Scandella and Bogo and replace with good skating but stay at home type D.  This way you have a solid puck mover on all 3 lines Dahlin, Risto and Montour, and Hank Tallinder/McCabe types who can allow those 3 to free lance.

This is also likely a more cap friendly approach then dumping Risto.

While the D clearly isn't at Nashville's level, it has the makings of being good enough next season.  Though I'd still expect it to struggle against other teams' top lines.  So, it's real important to figure who needs to be the RW with Larsson & Girgensons (both of whom I expect to be re-signed).

Kind of expecting to see Dahlin & Bogosian, McCabe & Montour, & Pilut & Ristolainen with Scandella moved & Hunwick (does he ever play on his strong side?) & Nelson as the spares with Borgen getting callups when there's an injury.

Could really see them leaving the D more or less pat (minus moving 1 guy out to clear the logjam & improve the F's) this coming season & then making moves the next off-season ('20) to be prepared for Seattle stealing their 4th (or 5th depending on how contracts are structured) best D in '21.

As it stands, if those are the D they keep, I'd say they have 2 - 3's (Dahlin & Ristolainen), a 4 (McCabe), a couple of 4/5's (Bogosian & Montour), a 6 (Pilut), a 6-8 (Hunwick) & a 7 (Nelson) with Borgen & whatever cheap Ra-cha-cha bound FA's they bring in rounding out the depth.  Dahlin & Pilut would both be expected to improve over the course of the season.

Fixing the 2nd line should be a bigger priority than upgrading the D this off-season, IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It is indeed hard to see how this team is going to make significant upgrades this summer.  They need both talent and leadership.  

Big test for JB.  

Get a 2C via trade or FA & get a 2RW via promotion, trade, or FA, and figure out who plays 4RW & then 2LW becomes the weak spot but Sheary is decent enough that it isn't a huge hole.

Having a true 2C makes a lot of deficiencies go away.

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It is indeed hard to see how this team is going to make significant upgrades this summer.  They need both talent and leadership.  

Big test for JB.  

I agree.  

When I started this thread I wanted to see how much control had over the roster for next season and he has total control once he signs Skinner yet a ton of flexibility.  The control comes from having 17 (18 with Olofsson) under contract for next season plus 5 RFAs before re-signing Skinner.  The flexibility comes from having the 5 RFAs plus 11 players with only 1 year remaining on their deals.   Many of the guys with one year left can easily be demoted erasing their cap hit completely (Nelson and Wilson), have reasonable trade value (Sheary, Scandella, Bogosian) or high trade value (Reinhart and Montour).  The only 2 “bad” contracts are Hunwick and Sobotka but they are only 7% of next years cap and then both will be gone. 

Jbot has made huge roster changes two years in a row, while he has the flexibility to do it again this summer, I just don’t see it. I actually don’t think this team is that far away from being good.  Mitts and Dahlin will be better next year.  Thompson should be as well.  I think Olofsson will be a big plus upfront next year (15-20 goals).  I like Sheary and ERod.  I continue to want a good center who can play 2nd line minutes as Mitts matures and who can win a faceoffs.  

I also like the defense.  I like McCabe, Dahlin, Risto and Montour.  I’m not sure they are the correct pieces in our end, but I think with 2 smart additions we could be very good.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

@Taro T-- I hope you're right, and I'm OK with Jack and Skinner on the top line and Reino and ERod on the 2nd line, but I don't see anything for the other 2 slots in the top 6 or any of the 3 slots on the 3rd line that gives me any optimism.  Mitts and TT both have a ton of upside, but I'm not confident they will be consistent contributors next year, even in 3rd line roles. 

Perhaps more disturbingly, the heart and mental toughness they showed in the first half of the season has completely evaporated.  They've lost I think 16 out of 19 on the road, they give up "loser goals" by being completely unprepared to start games and periods and they just seem like the fragile little children of days gone by.

It doesn't seem like the kind of malaise that can be remedied by one solid #2 center.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

@Taro T-- I hope you're right, and I'm OK with Jack and Skinner on the top line and Reino and ERod on the 2nd line, but I don't see anything for the other 2 slots in the top 6 or any of the 3 slots on the 3rd line that gives me any optimism.  Mitts and TT both have a ton of upside, but I'm not confident they will be consistent contributors next year, even in 3rd line roles. 

Perhaps more disturbingly, the heart and mental toughness they showed in the first half of the season has completely evaporated.  They've lost I think 16 out of 19 on the road, they give up "loser goals" by being completely unprepared to start games and periods and they just seem like the fragile little children of days gone by.

It doesn't seem like the kind of malaise that can be remedied by one solid #2 center.

Yup. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I agree.  

When I started this thread I wanted to see how much control had over the roster for next season and he has total control once he signs Skinner yet a ton of flexibility.  The control comes from having 17 (18 with Olofsson) under contract for next season plus 5 RFAs before re-signing Skinner.  The flexibility comes from having the 5 RFAs plus 11 players with only 1 year remaining on their deals.   Many of the guys with one year left can easily be demoted erasing their cap hit completely (Nelson and Wilson), have reasonable trade value (Sheary, Scandella, Bogosian) or high trade value (Reinhart and Montour).  The only 2 “bad” contracts are Hunwick and Sobotka but they are only 7% of next years cap and then both will be gone. 

Jbot has made huge roster changes two years in a row, while he has the flexibility to do it again this summer, I just don’t see it. I actually don’t think this team is that far away from being good.  Mitts and Dahlin will be better next year.  Thompson should be as well.  I think Olofsson will be a big plus upfront next year (15-20 goals).  I like Sheary and ERod.  I continue to want a good center who can play 2nd line minutes as Mitts matures and who can win a faceoffs.  

I also like the defense.  I like McCabe, Dahlin, Risto and Montour.  I’m not sure they are the correct pieces in our end, but I think with 2 smart additions we could be very good.

I can not in any way agree that Sheary is good.  I think relying on Mitts and Tage to be better next season is a gamble.  I don't think Bogo is movable, right?  Per his contract.

I've been a staunch defender of Risto for quite some time but the past few weeks I've been watching him differently.  He and Bogo are really, really bad at maintaining possession on exits and he's a major source of give-aways.  We can't have that any more in the D zone.  We already have Dahlin doing that, who, obviously, we should expect to improve (greatly) in this area. If Bogo can not be rid of, then we have to get rid of his doppelganger.

If the offensive lines were more productive, I would be okay with on-boarding Olofsson during the season, but, like Mitts and Tage, I don't want to rely on his potential contributions.

So, Jbots must get rid of at least two of Sheary, Girgensons, KO, and Sobotka if he plans on succeeding at improving the foward lines.

2 minutes ago, ... said:

I can not in any way agree that Sheary is good.  I think relying on Mitts and Tage to be better next season is a gamble.  I don't think Bogo is movable, right?  Per his contract.

I've been a staunch defender of Risto for quite some time but the past few weeks I've been watching him differently.  He and Bogo are really, really bad at maintaining possession on exits and he's a major source of give-aways.  We can't have that any more in the D zone.  We already have Dahlin doing that, who, obviously, we should expect to improve (greatly) in this area. If Bogo can not be rid of, then we have to get rid of his doppelganger.

If the offensive lines were more productive, I would be okay with on-boarding Olofsson during the season, but, like Mitts and Tage, I don't want to rely on his potential contributions.

So, Jbots must get rid of at least two of Sheary, Girgensons, KO, and Sobotka if he plans on succeeding at improving the foward lines.

At some point you have to give kids a chance and let them improve. Jack and Sam have improved each year in the NHL without ever playing in the minors.  Mitts has shown great improvement as a player over the course of this season even if the pt production isn’t yet where we hoped it would be. Also playing him in a 3rd line role where he has a talent advantage over his opponents should help.  Look what Vanek and Roy did as a 3rd line.

As to Sheary what did you expect?  An all-star? The guy is on a $3 mill deal.  He has 26 pts in 59 games which makes him tied for 4th most productive forward.  He is on a pace for 35 pts which is a 5 pt improvement over last year and as Vogl pointed out in the Athletic he is giving us good value for his contract.  

Compare:

KO has 22 points and is being paid 6 mill

Pommers 26 points and is being paid 5.6

Erod has 23 and is cheap at 650K.

Sheary isn’t the problem.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

At some point you have to give kids a chance and let them improve. Jack and Sam have improved each year in the NHL without ever playing in the minors.  Mitts has shown great improvement as a player over the course of this season even if the pt production isn’t yet where we hoped it would be. Also playing him in a 3rd line role where he has a talent advantage over his opponents should help.  Look what Vanek and Roy did as a 3rd line.

As to Sheary what did you expect?  An all-star? The guy is on a $3 mill deal.  He has 26 pts in 59 games which makes him tied for 4th most productive forward.  He is on a pace for 35 pts which is a 5 pt improvement over last year and as Vogl pointed out in the Athletic he is giving us good value for his contract.  

Compare:

You can't absolve Sheary.

Okposo was brought in and paid to be a first line winger. Sheary was brought in and paid to be a second line winger. Each is producing like a 3rd-liner and not bringing the added elements you need from third-liners. Neither is carrying his weight.

Pominville is what they expected and Erod is better than what they expected.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Compare:

On your Sheary comparisons, you forgot to mention Samson at $3.65 mil per.

I expected from Sheary someone who could score goals if not fulfill the other duties of a second line winger.  I didn't expect the amount of turnovers and failures to maintain possession.  I would hope for some sort of net-front presence and ability to battle on the boards.  I won't even bother looking for guys across the NHL who make around $3 mil per or less and provide all of these things because you know they're out there.

On "the kids" we're seeing these kids being given a chance and it's not working so well this season.  Therefore it's reasonable to conclude that doing so next season is a gamble.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

IF you have a actual legit 2C, then Sheary is more effective.  He's the sort of player that is substantially better when playing with good players.  But his limitations can't raise the level of play of those around him.  He's kind of like a Pominville with youth & speed but presumably enough stamina to play well for more than 12 games per year.

Having a legit 2C also slots Mittelstadt where he should be - 3C.  That one move improves 2 lines.  (Note, I didn't say that completely fixes them, but it makes both substantially better.)  And even just having "decent" 2 & 3 lines makes this team FAR better than with the current bad lines.

I would also preferrentially keep Rodrigues on that 3rd line as he seems to have a knack for getting Mittelstadt the puck.  Mitts will be better next year, and I'd expect he'll be fine at 3C.

Bringin a reasonable 2RW in, whether it be Olofsson, Thompson, Nylander, or (more likely than options 2 or 3) via trade / FA gives them the flexibilty to put Reinhart on line 2 while trying to goose that without making Eichel's line a 2 man line or put him on Eichel's line to exploit matchups.

Thompson may (very likely will) still be at best a work in progress, but how much can he set E-Rod & Mitts back getting the least ice time of any forward?

Truthfully, believe that 4RW will be far more important next year than 3RW.

2C doesn't fix the team alone, but that and the goaltending even close to what they got the 1st 2 months puts them in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You can't absolve Sheary.

Okposo was brought in and paid to be a first line winger. Sheary was brought in and paid to be a second line winger. Each is producing like a 3rd-liner and not bringing the added elements you need from third-liners. Neither is carrying his weight.

Pominville is what they expected and Erod is better than what they expected.

Absolve Sheary of what?  He is 49th in scoring amongst NHL LWs.  Last I looked that would be a top 6 LW, maybe not on a top team, but across the NHL.  What other elements was he supposed to bring? Schwartz, Roussel, Rakell, Hyman and Nick Foligno have produced similar results this season.  

The biggest issue is that he hasn’t scored as many goals as hoped but that seems more of a function of a lack of a good center.  Think Skinner light.  What has Skinner done now that he plays with a real center?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I would like to be wrong, but Mitts will only be marginally better next year.  Skilled?  Yes, but way out of his depth playing against men right now.  I think he's 2 to 3 years out, which means may mean his next contract should not be the budget buster.   A legit 2C for next year is not on the roster today and so this will mean GMJB has to make a deal.

Moving Sheary along with prospects is something I wonder about.  Sheary may not be the worst of the Sabres problems, but he is not helping much either and may still fetch something in return. 

Erod has been a decent "tweener" for the price and deserves a few more bones on his next deal, but not worth overpaying for.

If there was only some way to shed ourselves of the true dead weight (KO, Sobotka, Scandella, Hunwick, etc.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.