Official:Trade Brandon Montour to Buffalo for 1st and Guhle

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Hey Brandon, welcome to hockey hell.

Poor coverage on his part on the 3rd & 4th goals.  Other than that, his game wasn't bad.  (Not positive he was the D that was caught high & covering nobody on the 4th goal.  Not going back to rewatch to confirm who it was.)

Others have had worse introductions to their 1st game in blue & gold.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Poor coverage on his part on the 3rd & 4th goals.  Other than that, his game wasn't bad.  (Not positive he was the D that was caught high & covering nobody on the 4th goal.  Not going back to rewatch to confirm who it was.)

Others have had worse introductions to their 1st game in blue & gold.

I thought his game was very lackluster; he's a defensive liability and his game showed that tonight; on ice for 2 goals against and caught deep in the O zone on several occasions leading to odd man rushes coming the other way, one of which led directly to a goal against.  

He is an entirely offensive oriented D Man, and I don't like D men who fit that mold.  

6 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Wow, the posters on this site get super sensitive during a losing streak. 

It was his first game with new teammates, a new system, a whole new city. I’d like to know how a lot of you did on your first day on a new job. 

Yeeeesh. 

Not to mention he hasn't even had a practice with these guys yet. 

47 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

He is an entirely offensive oriented D Man, and I don't like D men who fit that mold.  

But that's what Phil wants

12 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Wow, the posters on this site get super sensitive during a losing streak. 

It was his first game with new teammates, a new system, a whole new city. I’d like to know how a lot of you did on your first day on a new job. 

Yeeeesh. 

Right. He didn't look good. Instead of ya know providing a glimmer of hope that this franchise hasn't see in over a decade. 

Edited by inkman

33 minutes ago, inkman said:

Right. He didn't look good. Instead of ya know providing a glimmer of hope that this franchise hasn't see in over a decade. 

Two headed beast....if he didn't whiff on the one-timer and instead scored, you all would be praising him for jumping up into the play.

At one time I saw a guy clearing the front of the net cross checking and pushing a player.  I looked and said "who was that?". It was Montour.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Two headed beast....if he didn't whiff on the one-timer and instead scored, you all would be praising him for jumping up into the play.

At one time I saw a guy clearing the front of the net cross checking and pushing a player.  I looked and said "who was that?". It was Montour.

He could have had a hat trick and banged Scarlett Johansson at center ice and I'd still find something to bitch about.

33 minutes ago, inkman said:

He could have had a hat trick and banged Scarlett Johansson at center ice and I'd still find something to bitch about.

Exactly. That's why I've come to the conclusion that there isn't a management problem, nor is there a problem with the players......the problem lies solely on the so called fans.

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

The guy who was deep in the O zone and busted his butt to get back in and help break up a 3 on 1 and prevent a shot.  The guy, but for a small puck wobble made a really nice move and couldn't quite get the shot off.  He was there too.  You are exactly right. But...

1 hour ago, inkman said:

This sums up everything I think about this current situation.  There are people on here who are going to complain just because they want to complain.  I didn't expect you to say it though, inky.

50 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Exactly. That's why I've come to the conclusion that there isn't a management problem, nor is there a problem with the players......the problem lies solely on the so called fans.

And I agree 100%.

People bitch about the talent on this team and then bitch when the team doesn't play well.  They blame the coach for not getting the players better prepared while simultaneously complaining that the players don't care and have no talent.  

The frog doesn't have wings and the queen doesn't have balls... the Sabres are not the team people think they are.  That's not on them, that's on the people who thought wrong.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I thought his game was very lackluster; he's a defensive liability and his game showed that tonight; on ice for 2 goals against and caught deep in the O zone on several occasions leading to odd man rushes coming the other way, one of which led directly to a goal against.  

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, trying to do too much, learning the system, etc. but yeah - not an impressive first start at all. 

I don't understand giving up on Guhle (only 21) and also trading a #1 for this guy.   Guhle has the size and skating ability to surpass Montour and play all facets of the position.   Seemed like desperation to do something at the deadline.

Three numbers 1 picks - odds are one of them will hit. 

GMTM purged all of our picks with trades and here we go again. 

Yes, I am frustrated buy last nights game and the overall direction the season has gone. 

• SDS unpinned this topic
21 hours ago, Derrico said:

Ya I think he was there in time to easily play.  Facing the leafs, I selfishly wanted to see him in there.  Can't blame botts though.  Have him watch a game from up top and try to give him the best opportunity to succeed may have been the right play.  Then again, we need every point in the standings as we can and maybe the Sabres get out of last night with atleast one if he's in there instead of one of the bottom pairing guys.

I’ve perused other teams’ message boards and am very engaged on social media with other fan bases. I can promise you “watching a game from up top” and “sheltered minutes” is extremely rare. I don’t know why this franchise and fans are so obsessed with those concepts. I’m not saying they can’t be a thing but Montour has been in this league for almost 200 games. He doesn’t need to watch from up top or have sheltered minutes to succeed.

Well that honeymoon didn't last long.

Eh.  I'm okay with that.  I'd rather see someone lower expectations in their first game, then slowly raise them again, than to have him look like an all-star his first game, then settle into mediocrity.  Monty's legacy will not be made in one game.

He had some issues in the d zone but overall I thought he was pretty decent. I seem to be in the minority on thinking that.  He didnt get an assist but he made a great pass to start what led to the mitts goal.  Thought he had some nice breakout passes as well.  Looks to be very good skater which is how the NHL has trended.  I was fine with his first game.  

Missed some shifts due to the penalties early and never really got in sync.

His skill and style were obvious — in addition to his skating, he moved the puck very crisply and with purpose — and you could see he wants to make a difference.

He clearly was not on the same page as his teammates yet and it remains to be seen if his risks will outweigh his rewards.

But we need talent and he has it.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Missed some shifts due to the penalties early and never really got in sync.

His skill and style were obvious — in addition to his skating, he moved the puck very crisply and with purpose — and you could see he wants to make a difference.

He clearly was not on the same page as his teammates yet and it remains to be seen if his risks will outweigh his rewards.

But we need talent and he has it.

The bolded is the Crux of the argument.   I'm sure Phil told him to play his game.  What scares me is the great peril he puts his team with questionable decisions. Flubbing the one timer leading to an odd man rush goal was all to reminiscent of what we have in droves with Dahlin and Pilut. Now we got another guy handing the puck over all in the name of creating offense. 

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

The bolded is the Crux of the argument.   I'm sure Phil told him to play his game.  What scares me is the great peril he puts his team with questionable decisions. Flubbing the one timer leading to an odd man rush goal was all to reminiscent of what we have in droves with Dahlin and Pilut. Now we got another guy handing the puck over all in the name of creating offense. 

That's the entire season in a nutshell, isn't it?

We are committed to the high-risk, high-reward game, but don't have the talent (certainly the finishers, probably the passers, and maybe not the goaltending) to execute it.

Montour tells me JBot's solution is add more talent. Not sure where he plans on getting enough of it.

There is a ton riding on the development of Dahlin, Ullmark and Mittelstadt and the development plan working magic on the 2ndary prospects.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.