Official:Trade Brandon Montour to Buffalo for 1st and Guhle

Brawndo

24 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Is Risto actually creating more offense at 5v5 or is he still just feasting on PP points? Montour has a good 5v5 primary assist rate. 

I can't look it up right now but I don't think Risto gets nearly as much pp time as he used to

22 minutes ago, ct fab said:

Montour = Less offense than Risto, more offense than McCabe.  Much better defensively/muh better hockey IQ than either of them.  Solid solid trade.  Guhle was never a JB guy and those late 1st are a bit hit or miss and the 2019 draft is supposed to have a sever dropoff after the high teens anyway

First round NHL draft picks in the 20's are very overrated among fans. If you were to tell me that we were going to draft a 24-year old Montour with 3 years of pro experience already with that SJ pick, I would have jumped on that. And Guhle is a career 3rd-liner d-man at best. This was a very solid trade on its own (not factoring in a potential Risto trade to come, which I am going to be against under most circumstances).

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

There are holes on this team that need to be fixed, obviously. They're still a ways away from being serious contenders. Ristolainen isn't one of the problems.  I'm not liking where this is going. 

It is a little troubling. Dahlin isn't ready for Risto's all-the-time minutes. And Ristolainen is our only defenseman who consistently agitates the opposition's top guys. Bogo is physical, but I never get the sense that he just gets Crosby and Ovechkin angry (and possibly off their game a tidy bit). But I like having Montour more than having Guhle. The first? Well...  that's the gamble.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

First round NHL draft picks in the 20's are very overrated among fans. If you were to tell me that we were going to draft a 24-year old Montour with 3 years of pro experience already with that SJ pick, I would have jumped on that. And Guhle is a career 3rd-liner d-man at best. This was a very solid trade on its own (not factoring in a potential Risto trade to come, which I am going to be against under most circumstances).

I think this is a great use of that pick. Makes the future look a little less far away.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

If that's what it means, shouldn't we wait to see what the return is first? 

Nope, like many fans their minds are made up

4 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

It is a little troubling. Dahlin isn't ready for Risto's all-the-time minutes. And Ristolainen is our only defenseman who consistently agitates the opposition's top guys. Bogo is physical, but I never get the sense that he just gets Crosby and Ovechkin angry (and possibly off their game a tidy bit). But I like having Montour more than having Guhle. The first? Well...  that's the gamble.

Opponents literally laugh at him on the ice 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

Bogo and Risto have, and this is without looking it up, nearly the same sense in passing/clearing the zone.  Of the two, I'd much rather Bogo be on his way out.  I like Risto for his intangibles as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ... said:

I think this is a great use of that pick. Makes the future look a little less far away.

Always in motion the future is. We could now turn Risto around for picks and prospects and be right back into the past. (But if Risto moves --- I'm not taking anything less than a top 6 F and a top D prospect... if I'm Lobot GM JBot.)

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

Always in motion the future is. We could now turn Risto around for picks and prospects and be right back into the past. (But if Risto moves --- I'm not taking anything less than a top 6 F and a top D prospect... if I'm Lobot GM JBot.)

If Risto moves, we get a 1st at the same level and some other decent piece, at least. I think all it does, at worst, is put us back where we were before the Montour trade, future-looking-wise.

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Opponents literally laugh at him on the ice 

Sure -- he's not going to fight. And he's useless in a fight from the one or two times I've seen. But he does play physical. And Ovie took the worse of taking a run at him last game early on. Ovechkin crushes Dahlin with that hit (and also probably doesn't take that run at Dahlin unless it's playoff time). That is the allure of Ristolainen to a team like TB. Laughter is all well and good, but Ristolainen is a sturdy beast out there as well.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, ... said:

Bogo and Risto have, and this is without looking it up, nearly the same sense in passing/clearing the zone.  Of the two, I'd much rather Bogo be on his way out.  I like Risto for his intangibles as well.

I'm not sure Risto was ever commended for having intangibles.  I know its never crossed my mind.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Sure -- he's not going to fight. And he's useless in a fight from the one or two times I've seen. But he does play physical. And Ovie took the worse of taking a run at him last game early on. Ovechkin crushes Dahlin with that hit (and also probably doesn't take that run at Dahlin unless it's playoff time). That is the allure of Ristolainen to a team like TB. Laughter is all well and good, but Ristolainen is a sturdy beast out there as well.

Agreed.  I don't think Kucherov was laughing after Risto pancaked him the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwwD2kZMh3o

• Thanks (+1) 1

From the completely useless department... what I will term the "Battle Droid Factory"...  as it stands right now:

Stafford (UFA) + Myers + Armia + Lemieux + STL 2015 1st + Guhle + SJS 2019 ===> Bogosian + O’Regan + Sheary + Hunwick + Montour (with some contributions from Kane in the interim, and Kasdorf as a throw-in)

Edit: with the understanding that dropping Staff and Myers for an injured Kane that season was going to help significantly in finishing last and guaranteeing McEichel.

Edited by DarthEbriate

Idk why, but I think Montour is gonna thrive here, I think this trade is going to be very helpful in the long term scheme, it's a touch too late for this season, but a couple more savvy moves like this between now and next season Puck drop, and I think we're on a good road. 

Where's Jame, I wanna see what he hates about this trade

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.