Speculation Risto to Tampa??

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Which is why you can't *just* look at the numbers.  You also can't *just* look at the TV.  Gotta step out to a game once in a while and see what he's doing off-camera.

Fair enough.  But any argument that he’s better than his demonstrated performance hinges upon the premise that he’s been misused in Buffalo, as a top-pair guy.

Who in the world is trading for what he is?  More frightening: oh my dear sweet lord he’ll be in our top pairing for years because he sometimes produces... 

14 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Which is why you can't *just* look at the numbers.  You also can't *just* look at the TV.  Gotta step out to a game once in a while and see what he's doing off-camera.

Which is what exactly? (not trying to be snarky, just wondering if you can expand on what you see that I haven't through the broadcast)

1 hour ago, Samson's Flow said:

Which is what exactly? (not trying to be snarky, just wondering if you can expand on what you see that I haven't through the broadcast)

A lot of times, he's cutting off wide swaths of ice, forcing the opposition into certain areas.  He's physical away from the puck, too.  Just a couple of examples.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I think Risto for JT Miller straight up is a bad trade for us.  Sure, Miller would be top 6 on our team for awhile but I always think of him as a real good 3rd liner.    Toss in Foote and it’s a good deal.   Toss in a pick and I’m very happy. 

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

We need to stop this. He hasn't been replaced, he isn't going to magically figure it out. He isn't a young guy. He's a 409 game veteran that is inconsistent and can't be relied upon to consistently make good plays. The player we have seen this year is the player he is. 

If we all “stop this” you will be the only person on the message board.   So please be polite and feel free to make your point just st as others do.  

I contend Ristolainen was a top flight defenseman from October to December. He was creating on offense, he was clearing the slot, he was physical, he was making good breakout passes, his mistakes were way down, he was even on the positive side of +/- for the first time ever on this team.  

Then it ended. The same inconsistency we have been accustomed to came back.  409 games but still just 24.  Defenseman develop slower and tend to have longer careers than forwards.  To think he will not, and could not, improve is shortsighted.  

So so if we do trade him I want a very big haul.  The fact that an organization as good as Tampa is interested says there is something compelling about Risto.  Seller beware. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.