Speculation Risto to Tampa??

Brawndo

And this from Sabres insider this morning

"Based on @andystrickland report, I’ve heard rumblings the #Sabres are offering Ristolainen, Mittlestadt, and 2 first round picks(this year) for Point and Callahan. Tampa is deciding if it’s worth to get rid of a star in Point"

This would be worth considering. Callahan and Risto have similar contracts so financially , Tampa can handle it.  Is all that worth it for Point? Maybe.

1 minute ago, klos1963 said:

"Based on @andystrickland report, I’ve heard rumblings the #Sabres are offering Ristolainen, Mittlestadt, and 2 first round picks(this year) for Point and Callahan. Tampa is deciding if it’s worth to get rid of a star in Point"

This would be worth considering. Callahan and Risto have similar contracts so financially , Tampa can handle it.  Is all that worth it for Point? Maybe.

Ecklund isn't an insider though 

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

That sounds like a real lot to give up 

2 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

That sounds like a real lot to give up 

That is my gu feeling as well.

What is the value in getting a known very good 2C  vs. a potential good to very good 2C?  Is it that potential 2C and 2 late 1sts?  Phew.

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Tampa Bay is not moving Point for anyone other than Eichel or Dahlin. Plain and simple 

Moving Point would be a very risky move for TB.  I don't see it happening realistically.

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Sure, but they're not centerpieces. Also, Tampa almost certainly wants to shed some salary to make their offseason more manageable. 

If this trade happens, hopefully Botterill channels his inner Skinner trade and not his inner O'Reilly trade. 

It's the deadline, they wont be sending over a roster player in a deal, they are loading up for the playoffs. Prospects Nd picks would be the return so it's more likely a ROR return then a Skinner return......

3 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

wow, just wow. Tampa loading the hell up if they get Risto.

I dunno...there is tons of data from advanced metrics that show the Sabres are notably worse when he is on the ice versus when he isn't...Schopp on WGR brings this up a lot and I looked to verify and its true...

The issue is since he is never hurt we don't have any sample size to see what happens when he is out of the lineup for an extended period of time versus when he isn't. At least this would show if the problem is him playing against the top guys on the other team so much or if its something other than that.

Edited by matter2003

Just now, matter2003 said:

I dunno...there is tons of data from advanced metrics that shoe the Sabres are notably worse when he is on the ice versus when he isn't...Schopp on WGR brings this up a lot and I looked to verify and its true...

The issue is since he is never hurt we don't have any sample size to see what happens when he is out of the lineup for an extended period of time versus when he isn't. At least this would show if the problem is him playing against the top guys on the other team so much or if its something other than that.

I can't speak to the number crunching, since I don't really follow it closely. I use the eye test, and it tells me Risto can be one of the top two #3 defensemen in the league under the right circumstances. Those circumstances include fully playing to his strengths, an offensive defenseman combined with a very strong forward ranks roster, i.e. puck possession primarily in the oppositions zone as opposed to your own. Under those conditions I can fully see Risto being stellar. Something we don't have here and most likely won't for another couple of years at least.

5 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

The Sabres are worse when Risto is on the ice in large part because he’s always playing against the other team’s top line. Who would replace his over 20 minutes a game and playing against top lines if he left?

This is the same kind of logic teams used to keep Phaneuf around. None of those teams missed him. Simply, getting caved in against top competition is not valuable because anyone can get caved in with those minutes. 

39 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Not a fan of this at all. Giving up way too much imho. Also now I have concerns about Casey. Did  this organization screw up another top prospects development? 

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

This is the same kind of logic teams used to keep Phaneuf around. None of those teams missed him. Simply, getting caved in against top competition is not valuable because anyone can get caved in with those minutes. 

If Dahlin was getting Ristos matchups, he would likely be getting even more “caved in.” The issue is him playing in a role he shouldn’t be playing in. Yes, you can throw anyone out there to get smoked by top competition, but ideally you play the people who are going to limit that damage most effectively. Once Dahlin is capable of getting top matchups and Risto slides down the depth chart, do you really believe his numbers stay the same? The issue is we don’t have a top pairing that can match up.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Not a fan of this at all. Giving up way too much imho. Also now I have concerns about Casey. Did  this organization screw up another top prospects development? 

So you now have concerns about Mitts because of a completely bs Twitter account that literally knows nothing? 

That Twitter account is trash and is a step below even hockey buzz for being completely out to lunch. Sabres Insider is not even worth following. 

Edited by LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, IrwinNelson said:

If Dahlin was getting Ristos matchups, he would likely be getting even more “caved in.” The issue is him playing in a role he shouldn’t be playing in. Yes, you can throw anyone out there to get smoked by top competition, but ideally you play the people who are going to limit that damage most effectively. Once Dahlin is capable of getting top matchups and Risto slides down the depth chart, do you really believe his numbers stay the same? The issue is we don’t have a top pairing that can match up.

The same? No. But I don't think they'll improve the way most seem to be expecting. His biggest problem is he has the hockey sense of a doorknob, and playing against lesser competition isn't going to change that. I doubt he's ever consistently someone who drives possession. He just makes way too many poor decisions when it's on his stick. 

5 minutes ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Thought Strickland was well thought of?

That's not the source. The source is @insideSabres which is basically a joke. Go read what your responded to again. It's a garbage Twitter account taking what Strickland rumored and creating a total trash trade on it. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Glad this is dispelled. I'm disappointed in Risto overall this season; this was his year to be an even-rated player 5 on 5 and be solidified as a future 2/3 D stalwart and 2nd PP point D-man.

From TB's perspective, Risto would be great. More sandpaper, plays better against Ovechkin, Crosby, and the like (probably eyeing a Toronto or Boston matchup already). But.... Adam Larsson got Taylor Hall. If you're TB, you're not giving up Point for for Risto straight-up, are you? I'm not. I need Point to win the Stanley Cup. And if you're BUF, you're not giving up Risto without a top-6 forward and an NHL-ready D coming back. It is a nice idea for an offseason, but it doesn't fit now when TB is cruising toward the President's Cup and another Stanley Cup push.

And... there's no way I give up Mittelstadt after one season. Even Risto is pretty young to trade. He's cost-controlled and if he ever (ever, ever...big if) is able to duplicate his first 30 games of a season for an entire season and playoffs --- and may be able to do this as Dahlin takes a bunch of his minutes --- he's a valuable part of a roster as a second-pairing guy.

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The same? No. But I don't think they'll improve the way most seem to be expecting. His biggest problem is he has the hockey sense of a doorknob, and playing against lesser competition isn't going to change that. I doubt he's ever consistently someone who drives possession. He just makes way too many poor decisions when it's on his stick. 

It’s a mistake to blame it all on Risto. There’s 5 guys out there, and the forwards often don’t get the puck out of the zone or cover players coming down the slot. 

2 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

It’s a mistake to blame it all on Risto. There’s 5 guys out there, and the forwards often don’t get the puck out of the zone or cover players coming down the slot. 

Where did I blame it all on Risto? But just as it's not all his fault, he's also not blameless for his own performance. He's a dumb hockey player. 

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

More or less likely Risto is moved after Montour trade?

More. Has to be. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.