Jeff Skinner leaves the game with nasty-looking ankle injury

Hoss

Ankles are funny. When I broke mine, I honestly wasn’t sure it was broken until 5-10 minutes later when the swelling and pain really set in. I got up and walked on it, trying to convince myself it was just sprained. 

Then after I had recovered, I rolled that same ankle playing basketball. In the first few moments, it felt about the same as when I broke it. But I took the next game off, tightened up my shoe, and played three more games that day. It really wasn’t bad at all. Just an initial shock. 

1 minute ago, EichSnipe said:

Ankles are funny. When I broke mine, I honestly wasn’t sure it was broken until 5-10 minutes later when the swelling and pain really set in. I got up and walked on it, trying to convince myself it was just sprained. 

Then after I had recovered, I rolled that same ankle playing basketball. In the first few moments, it felt about the same as when I broke it. But I took the next game off, tightened up my shoe, and played three more games that day. It really wasn’t bad at all. Just an initial shock. 

You’re harder than woodpecker lips.

• Haha (+1) 3

No, he's right.  Ankles are odd joints.  Mine are "loose" in that they roll easily.  I used to sprain them frequently.  After tearing ligaments in each, I never had a sprained ankle again.  I still frequently roll them but between the scar tissue and my reaction (I simple take all weight off that foot and awkwardly stumble to the other), I haven't sprained one since.

• Like (+1) 1

It did seem like a lot of pain (so maybe he has a low pain threshold?) but the foot has a LOT of bones in it and hockey players and figure skaters wreck their feet over the years and if one of those loose bones moves in an odd way and it hits the right nerve it can hurt like hell. My guess is it was a searing nerve pain that a therapist or doctor massaged and roatated and then taped back into place. 

11 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

You’re harder than woodpecker lips.

Lol, I’ve actually never heard that one before. I’ll use that! Obviously not what I was going for. In fact, ask my wife and she’ll tell you I’m a baby about any injury ?

Just pointing out that ankles are oddly finicky. What you feel at first might not be indicative of the true injury. The way Skinner winced and tried to push himself off the ice, it sure looked like he thought it was broken. I think we’re all glad it’s not!  

You guys must have been shocked to see him playing again later in the same game!  

It did look bad at the time though.  

The part where he was sort of pushing himself along the ice with his one good leg was weird, like he was trying to slide his way back to the bench.  I interpreted that to mean he was kind of in shock and thought he had broken his leg or ankle. 

Then the kid comes back and is playing the same game!  Weird response from him given the fact that he wasn't seriously hurt.

48 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Weird response from him given the fact that he wasn't seriously hurt.

Twisted ankles can hurt like hell, even with no major injury.   Add that to the torque that was applied to his knee, his leg probably felt like something was majorly wrong.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.