GDT: Capitals at Sabres 2/23/19 1:00 PM

spndnchz

3 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Can anyone explain why Sobotka was on the ice with 2+ minutes to go in the game?  He didn’t make any horrific mistakes....but wasn’t it more probable than not he would?  I can see a path to his buyout in June.  

I was sitting next to @LTS and he explained it plainly and perfectly:  win faceoffs and play D.  

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

That was the best SabreSpace meetup ever.  Well, except for the MODO one.  So it was the second best? Out of three?  @MODO Hockey you need to get here more often.

Well we clearly know what was different between this one and the other two in previous years.

Glad to hear you all had a good time.

6 hours ago, Eleven said:

That was the best SabreSpace meetup ever.  Well, except for the MODO one.  So it was the second best? Out of three?  @MODO Hockey you need to get here more often.

Agreed this was a great meetup. Hoping to see more people there next year, always great to see everyone

4 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Happy to hear you got to attend fully this time! and obviously sabres keep winning, we actually won with 5-2 vs toronto to ?

Hoping to see you again Modo. I steel need to try those pancakes!

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Oh come on.  She's just a girl.  What do you think she's thinking?

52588057_2051474354901444_46119918158038

Oh yeah, right... ?

Umm, that girl is about seven years old.  I know this because I was sitting right behind the kid in the caps jersey who is behind her.

13 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Leafs had an emotional and physical game tonight against MTL, down 3-0 in the first coming back to win 6-3.  But much closer than the score indicates.   They are due to have a let down.  Continue the momentum in Toronto. 

I don't get that logic. Are the Sabres due for a letdown after a big win against the defending champs?

16 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

I don't get that logic. Are the Sabres due for a letdown after a big win against the defending champs?

Toronto has established a comfortable lead over MTL in third place, and will be a heavy favorite at home.   A loss to Buffalo would not have the same effect as Buffalo losing to Toronto.  Buffalo is expected to lose.   Just saying that this dynamic could (not will) affect the Leafs mindset coming into the game.  If anything, based on recent history and the Sabres inability to string back to back regulation wins I would expect them to follow that trend.   But if the team has any mettle, this game (divisional opponent, road game, superior talent) could serve as a decisive rallying point.   Before you can win 10, or 5 in a row, you need to win two.   If they want to change the narrative, this situation sets up nicely....imho.

2 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Toronto has established a comfortable lead over MTL in third place, and will be a heavy favorite at home.   A loss to Buffalo would not have the same effect as Buffalo losing to Toronto.  Buffalo is expected to lose.   Just saying that this dynamic could (not will) affect the Leafs mindset coming into the game.  If anything, based on recent history and the Sabres inability to string back to back regulation wins I would expect them to follow that trend.   But if the team has any mettle, this game (divisional opponent, road game, superior talent) could serve as a decisive rallying point.   Before you can win 10, or 5 in a row, you need to win two.   If they want to change the narrative, this situation sets up nicely....imho.

For what it’s worth, these notions of trap games, let downs, momentum, etc... has proven to be not real. 

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Umm, that girl is about seven years old.  I know this because I was sitting right behind the kid in the caps jersey who is behind her.

Ummm, it was just a response to PA's comment, incorporating an ongoing Sabrespace trope.

In other words, a joke.

10 minutes ago, SDS said:

For what it’s worth, these notions of trap games, let downs, momentum, etc... has proven to be not real. 

What’s your source?  Hopefully not  the Harvard sports analysis that’s almost 10 years old and reviews only NFL, as does Football outsiders or Aaron Schotz.

14 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Oh come on.  She's just a girl.  What do you think she's thinking?

52588057_2051474354901444_46119918158038

Oh yeah, right... ?

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Beat me to it.  I know because I was sitting next to @Eleven.  ?

What a fun game and meetup.. I was not able to respond to anything until now.  

Watching Dahlin skate in person is a real treat.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.