Danny O Regan and Scott Wilson Called Up

Brawndo

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I like Wilson, he plays an honest game at both ends of the rink.  Anyway he can take minutes away from Sobotka?  

Pilut is a compelling prospect but he needs to get stronger to play in the NHL.  

They desperately need to lose Sobotka. He's garbage. 

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I know O’Regan has been playing well down there but he should be. Hes 25. His upside is, well, Wilson

That said, they are Botterills guys and among the reasons why I think Larry and Z are not long for Buffalo

Ideally, they should replace SOB and Pominville.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

???  PK is one thing the team has done consistently well regardless of their record.

And I don't recall Pominville getting a PK shift all year.

EDIT: 29 seconds total, dead last among forwards.

Edited by dudacek

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Unless Smith is going back down I think this means they are close to moving some bodies out at the deadline. Doesn't mean it'll happen, but it means they are close to a possible trade or two. 

I would be keeping Smith up. Another example of not using a player effectively. Would give him a shot in the top 6

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Unless Smith is going back down I think this means they are close to moving some bodies out at the deadline. Doesn't mean it'll happen, but it means they are close to a possible trade or two. 

Or they moved out two players (Pilut & KO) for O'Regan and Wilson 

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

I know O’Regan has been playing well down there but he should be. Hes 25. His upside is, well, Wilson

That said, they are Botterills guys and among the reasons why I think Larry and Z are not long for Buffalo

You want to replace Z and Larsson.  Here are two candidates.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You want to replace Z and Larsson.  Here are two candidates.

I don't understand the need to get rid of 22 & 28. They are good NHL 4th liners who are playing to role to a T. But because they aren't top 6 players, we should move them. 

The problem with this roster isn't the first line or the 4th line. It's all the much in between. Mitts, Tage should have been on the farm since day 1 of the season. Sobotka should be shot into the sun. Poms should be jettisoned to either Rochester or another AHL team. Okposo may have just took care of himself. That's 5 forwards I'd glad see gone over Larry and Girgs. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

I don't understand the need to get rid of 22 & 28. They are good NHL 4th liners who are playing to role to a T. But because they aren't top 6 players, we should move them. 

The problem with this roster isn't the first line or the 4th line. It's all the much in between. Mitts, Tage should have been on the farm since day 1 of the season. Sobotka should be shot into the sun. Poms should be jettisoned to either Rochester or another AHL team. Okposo may have just took care of himself. That's 5 forwards I'd glad see gone over Larry and Girgs. 

I tend to agree although I think Mitts and Tage are part of the solution for the mushy middle.  I think our forward group next year, assuming we keep our RFAs, takes a huge step forward with the addition of a real 2nd line center, Olofsson and maybe one more top 9 winger.

16 hours ago, Taro T said:

NHL doesn't do "injury settlements."  If he retires due toinjury, he gets all the money he's due and the Sabres essentially put him on BF-LTIR for the duration of the contract & pretty much avoid any Salary Cap repercussions.  Haven't looked closely enough at the CBA but believe he'd count against the 50 man roster limit for the duration of the contract but not positive about that.

Thanks for the clarification. The big issue for the Sabes is obviously salary cap, not the cash.  Again, I hope he is alright, but at this point he should seriously consider retiring. 

19 hours ago, Ho-Chi-Sock said:

I got it from the same dope sheet that said Okposo is heading to Rochester. I trust this guy. He knows some people. ?

So you're serious?

I thought it was sarcasm or a joke.

I'd love to see it happen.

Edit..

Never mind, I continued to read on.

I'm gullible for anything positive.?

Edited by woods-racer

9 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I do if they intend to bring someone up and it's a choice between a couple guys that near the deadline they chose someone that they want to showcase for a potential trade

O'Regan maybe but the book is out on Wilson, he's got plenty of NHL games under his belt for the brass to know what they are getting. 

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:45 AM, inkman said:

This times 1000. Girgensons and Larsson are not the problem. They are relatively young and effective 4th line players earning 4th line salaries. It's the guys earning big bucks who aren't producing squat that need to be weeded out. Pominville will be done within 2 months, but we've still got 14 months for Sobotka, and half a decade for Okposo.

15 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

This times 1000. Girgensons and Larsson are not the problem. They are relatively young and effective 4th line players earning 4th line salaries. It's the guys earning big bucks who aren't producing squat that need to be weeded out. Pominville will be done within 2 months, but we've still got 14 months for Sobotka, and half a decade for Okposo.

Girgensons and Larsson are both RFAs after the season, which does at least bring some uncertainty into the equation.  They'd get slight raises, but there is at least the chance that they could want to leave.  It would be good if someone like O'Regan would show the ability to play that role though since the depth would obviously not be a bad thing.

The biggest drama this off-season, after re-signing Skinner, is going to be how Jbot structures the 2nd and 3rd lines.  Mitts, Thompson, Erod, Sheary are going to be in that mix.  So might Olofsson, Reinhart, Okposo, and probably an outsider or 2.  

The other big question is how Jbot shaves off a D or 2.  

As to the 4th line, I expect Larry and Z to be back and in those roles. Our P.K. is 5th best in the NHL. Why change something is working when the player who make it go can return for next to nothing cap wise?

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

Girgensons and Larsson are both RFAs after the season, which does at least bring some uncertainty into the equation.  They'd get slight raises, but there is at least the chance that they could want to leave.  It would be good if someone like O'Regan would show the ability to play that role though since the depth would obviously not be a bad thing.

That is fine by me. I'd offer both of them (Girgensons and Larsson) small raises on 2 or 3 year deals and keep them around for bottom 6 duties. If they want more they can pound sand though. If they can convince/sucker some other GM to give them a big raise and a spot in their top 6 good for them. I'd thank my lucky stars, take the compensatory picks, and move on. I hope O'Regan and Wilson both play well with the chance they are getting. Not to replace 28 and 22 but to replace guys like Pominville and Sobotka with cheaper alternatives. That would be a step in the right direction and provide cap flexibility.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.