Sabres Trade Deadline Predictions

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, Sabre fan said:

Botterill is on a mission to get rid of everybody who is not "his" guy but moving Risto would make the already weak d even worse...

Risto Dahlin Bogo McCabe Montaur (spelling). Not sure weak d is something we can use to excuse the team. Maybe a couple wrong guys for the type of system or misuse of talents in the system, but these guys are not weak players. Looking at those names there is a couple who can play physical and a couple who can contribute offensively. 

More about how you use the assets, less about who they are. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Risto Dahlin Bogo McCabe Montaur (spelling). Not sure weak d is something we can use to excuse the team. Maybe a couple wrong guys for the type of system or misuse of talents in the system, but these guys are not weak players. Looking at those names there is a couple who can play physical and a couple who can contribute offensively. 

More about how you use the assets, less about who they are. 

Yes, the top 5 now looking maybe the strongest it's been in years.  I tend to think they also match-up fairly well with HCPH's approach of having offensive capable D-men who can jump up into the play for offense.  I don't see any pure "stay at home" types above IMHO. 

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We could get Thomas Vanek back from Detroit for a bag of pucks. I say do it. The salmon needs to come back to its spawning grounds to drop its load.

If we can trade one of Sheary, Scandella or Sobotka straight up for Vanek that would be great.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Now if can just find a defensemen who can actually play defense we may be on to something.

A 2nd line center would also be nice.

Exactly...well said...anybody who is fooling themselves by saying the D is not weak is kidding themselves...Bogo is a disaster and Scandella I thought would be okay but he's been pretty bad too.Risto is our best defender and people want to trade him??????

29 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

Exactly...well said...anybody who is fooling themselves by saying the D is not weak is kidding themselves...Bogo is a disaster and Scandella I thought would be okay but he's been pretty bad too.Risto is our best defender and people want to trade him??????

I would argue strongly that this year Bogo has been either our best or second best defender. The "Bogo is bad" narrative is leftover from past years.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

I'm good with trading Beaulieu. He wants to be playing and we're not playing him. What do we think we could get for him though? A prospect? More picks? Probably nothing that would help us this season, right?

He's not going for anything other than picks... if there's a player involved it will be for Rochester I would think.

I think we have likely had our big deal of the deadline.  It needed to happen before tonight to have the player here for tonight’s game against Toronto.  Also the Montour deal was in keeping with Jbot’s philosophy on acquisition, youngish vets with control that no one knew was available.  Seriously was there any buzz before the Skinner, Sheary or Montour trades?  

Any other deals probably are tinkering for the Amerks, or getting something for depth roster players that we aren’t going to keep like Baloo or even Z and Larry.  I’d still like to see a defensive D man and a 2nd line center, but those will likely have to wait til the summer. I wonder if Botts May try to swap disappointing prospect like Nylander for someone like Erickson-Ek or similar?

One other note: depending on how this trade and 1st rd pick condition works out the Kane or O’Reilly trades may look better.

1) Kane and Guhle for Montour, O’Regan and a 3rd/4th rd pick (4th in 2019 or 3rd in 2020)

or 

2) ROR and Guhle for Montour, Thompson, Sobotka, and a 2nd in 2021.

I’d have traded ROR for Montour, Thompson and a 2nd.  Also Kane and Guhle for Montour doesn’t look as good except we weren’t going to re-sign Kane and Guhle was looking like a depth D at best at this point. Just a thought.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I'm thinking about the Risto to Tampa rumor.

hope not, I think we can do better making this trade in July.   Tampa is not going to jeopardize their roster by giving up an impact forward at this point. 

Scandy is safe because of IR ...  so I think Bealieu goes for a draft pick and a bag of pucks. 

8 hours ago, Sabre fan said:

Botterill is on a mission to get rid of everybody who is not "his" guy but moving Risto would make the already weak d even worse...

While that seems like the case that isn’t true.

McCabe, Girgensons, Larry, Ullmark and Ristolainen are DR guys

Reinhart, Eichel, Bogo, KO, Nelson and ERod plus prospects Nylander, Olofsson, Asplund and a Borgen are TM guys.

So about 50% of the roster aren’t his guys.  

Admittedly he sent the TM core packing and rightly so.  Kane wasn’t re-signing. Gorges, Gionta and Moulson we’re done.  Lehner needed rehab.  The only questionable move was ROR, but even that move may have been necessary.