Sabres Trade Deadline Predictions

GASabresIUFAN

Just now, Weave said:

Tampa fans on twitter are making that very point.  Ouch.

I don't dislike Risto nearly as much as most stats-oriented observers, but I definitely think he's heartily overrated by most of the Sabres fanbase. Ultimately I think he's a 3/4 who needs to be sheltered at evens and get 2nd unit PP time. Through that lens, it hurts a lot less to move him. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I don't dislike Risto nearly as much as most stats-oriented observers, but I definitely think he's heartily overrated by most of the Sabres fanbase. Ultimately I think he's a 3/4 who needs to be sheltered at evens and get 2nd unit PP time. Through that lens, it hurts a lot less to move him. 

I hate moving him with nothing ready for that role in the farm though. 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

So without Risto, that leaves us with:

Dahlin - future all-star

McCabe - another 3/4 IMHO

BOGO - will be a UFA after next season?

Scandella - should be a 5/6

Beaulieu - 5/6 if he is even here after Monday

Hunwick - 5/6 and not getting any younger

Nelson - can't crack the current lineup

Pilut - too small

Guhle - still waiting for him to stick with the big boys

Borgen - interesting but not sure when we'll see him

Laksonan (?) - who knows

Samuelsson (?) - who knows

Risto maybe more a 3/4 to your point, problem is that we can't expect to contend with the list above unless another name appears not currently in the system.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Dahlin - future all-star

Pilut - too small

Laksonan (?) - who knows

Risto maybe more a 3/4 to your point, problem is that we can't expect to contend with the list above unless another name appears not currently in the system.

You can do this same exercise with top-6 forwards. I don't think it's a good argument not to make a trade. 

51 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Dahlin - future all-star

Pilut - too small

Laksonan (?) - who knows

Pilut is not "too small" 

Terrible analysis of his game. 

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Pilut is not "too small" 

Yep, we need Defenseman like him who excel at taking possession of the puck in the defensive zone and make a zone exit to turn it into an offensive possession. 

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think this Risto trade talks with Tampa is more laying the groundwork for that trade come july 1st.

I agree with this wholeheartedly 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Tampa fans on twitter are making that very point.  Ouch.

Which makes it even more Paramount they move him. I love Risto but the analytics are frightening.  Risto is just a notch above Sobotka, who may be the worst player in the NHL. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Pilut is not "too small" 

Yes he is too small,  in the defensive zone.  If he can put some pounds on to take care of business in front of his own net, then I'll change my tune.  He would be better suited playing forward on this team until he fills out some more.

Didn't see anybody having "trade for Montour" in here. JBott is very tight lipped before trades go down

On 2/22/2019 at 4:43 PM, Scottysabres said:

I expect any Sabres deal will come after the Capitals/Sabres Saturday matinee game, if any at all occur.

While I am in the group that is disappointed in the Sabres collapse since the streak in November, and I have openly said I am now for moving on from Housley, I am not one of those who want to move one of the 1st rd picks for a rental or 1 yr remaining contract.

If one of the 1st's is moved, it has to be for either term or control. What happens at this deadline is secondary, to myself in any event, to what happens this draft and off season.Would I like to make the playoffs? You betch'ya I would. I am also on record stating it is of the up most importance to get these young'uns to play high impact, high pressure hockey. But not for a single season while at the expense of the future.

This was is the ballpark while not mentioning Montour or Guhle specifically

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/22/2019 at 10:12 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Like with the Skinner trade and the Sheats trades, I think something is brewing.  I’m not sure what, but some team is going to have to move a player for cap space to make a bigger deal and Jbot will take advantage.  

On 2/22/2019 at 10:30 PM, dudacek said:

I agree. I think the plan is to nurture the kids, dump the big ticket players he didn't believe in and use his cap space (and possibly his draft and prospect capital) to invest in players he does like when the opportunities present themselves. Skinner was one, and there will be more.

Montour deal?  A perfect Jbot pick-up.  A 24 year old former USHL/NCAA player (from nearby by Branford Ont), a proven NHL player with more upside with control (1 year left at 3.3875 and then RFA).  Also then proven RHD we were desperate for to play alongside Dahlin.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

The next 14 hours or so are going to be rather interesting for Sabres fans. Let's see if Botterill can pull a 2C out of that top hat of his.

As of now, if the Strickland post has any substance behind the scenes at all, I have to believe it's JT Miller. We've also been told to keep an eye on Wennberg out of Columbus by Jeremy White's SuperSaucySabresSomething or other. Then there was the report of AGM Greeley at the Boston/LA with a Buffalo scout, what here is a ? to me in any event.

One thing is certain, the Sabres and Lightning have been scouting each other heavily the past 3 weeks. Is it Risto? Don't know, but there is definitely something there imo.