Sabres Trade Deadline Predictions

GASabresIUFAN

15 hours ago, Taro T said:

Hopefully they aren't going that way.  Can't see him being worth what the Otters would demand to trade him in division.

I think Ottawa is really somewhat restricted in what they can get in return.  They're going to take the fair deal whether it comes in division or out of division. 

15 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That would be very interesting.  What would it cost?  Ott needs a first.  He’s have to sign immediately. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Ottawa isn't letting teams also talk to Duchene.  Curious just how much Botterill would feel pressured to over pay just to try and get a player of that level in the mix to try and speed up the timeline so more people feel good about the progress he spoke about.

1 minute ago, LTS said:

I think Ottawa is really somewhat restricted in what they can get in return.  They're going to take the fair deal whether it comes in division or out of division. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Ottawa isn't letting teams also talk to Duchene.  Curious just how much Botterill would feel pressured to over pay just to try and get a player of that level in the mix to try and speed up the timeline so more people feel good about the progress he spoke about.

That is not his style and all that he has said leads me to think that he would not do that.

If there is a reasonalbe price to pay for Duchene, or any other player for that matter, a deal will be made.  Again, I expect JBOT will be looking to make those Skinner and ROR type deals in the offseason.

4 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

That is not his style and all that he has said leads me to think that he would not do that.

If there is a reasonalbe price to pay for Duchene, or any other player for that matter, a deal will be made.  Again, I expect JBOT will be looking to make those Skinner and ROR type deals in the offseason.

I agree with you.  I am hoping he has the support to stick to his style.  I have faith.  

• Like (+1) 1

Sabres will do a minor deal or two at the deadline, but nothing significant. They are keeping their powder dry.

Look at their looming cap space and draft/prospect capital. Botterill has set himself up to replace O'Reilly.

The big-ticket contract-related moves happened in late June or early July.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

Doing this again... 

You only get an 8-year deal if you were on the roster of your current team prior to the previous trade deadline.  Ergo, the Sabres can't give him 8 yet since he was in Carolina at the last deadline. 

David Byrne and co. are the only Talking Heads worth listening to, on this and pretty much any other matter.

Does this mean that the Sabres can give him 8 after the turn of the NHL year because he will have been with them through this trade deadline, assuming he does stay ?

12 minutes ago, mphs mike said:

Does this mean that the Sabres can give him 8 after the turn of the NHL year because he will have been with them through this trade deadline, assuming he does stay ?

That's my take.

The day after the trade dead line the Sabres can offer JS an 8 year deal. No one else can even if they trade him.

So it's assumed by me that there is a hand shake deal between the parties right know that includes price and term.

If I have assumed wrong and they have talked and JBot is pretty sure he won't sign JS, then he has a very good chance to go as a rental before the dead line.

2 hours ago, Marchand'sNose said:

I'm expecting absolutely nothing to be done to better the team in any appreciable way. Why the negativity, you ask? Because our dear GM believes that championship NHL teams are built on geological time scales. Those 3 first round 2019 draft picks are sure going to be valuable contributors on the 2022-23 Buffalo Sabres roster that finally snaps the NHL postseason drought record. Not all will be forsaken,  however. JBots will make enough deals over the next few days to ensure we have a full cache of Remi Elies to propel the Amerks and Cyclones to minor league championship glory.

To trade one or more of those picks right now is almost senseless. We need too much just to salvage the rest of this season to waste those picks. 

However, your assumption that those picks won't come into play until 2022-23 might be incorrect. I think JBot will pretty much hold tight this deadline and let these guys try and figure it out themselves. He might do a small deal or two to bring in someone to help a little bit if he thinks they need a push. Those 1st rd picks can still be used right up to draft day. That's where I think they will come into play. 

I predict it will be a disappointing one again. Botteril is the type of guy who takes things at his own pace and wont make any quick moves without careful and thorough evaluation (look at the Skinner situation where he wanted to see more of him rather then try and make a deal before he continued on the pace he was going and getting more expensive).

They saw this as another building/development year and wont make and rash decision to try for the playoffs because it wasnt part of the plan for this year. He will make some moves after the season for next year where they will have a goal of making the playoffs. Had they made the playoffs this year it would have just been gravy for them, but they dont want to risk any potential in the future by not sticking to their plan.

I would expect there may be a few veteran UFAs moved if teams are interested, but I would not expect them to buy unless it's a young almost ready prospect or someone with some term left on their deal

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

According to Taro, if the letter of the CBA is followed that is the case, but he said that many of the 'talking heads' (really good name for a band, IMO) 

It is a good name for a band.

3 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

David Byrne and co. are the only Talking Heads worth listening to, on this and pretty much any other matter.

What will we do with the extra first round pick(s)? Will we hold it, move it, hold it, move it, hold it, move it, hold it, move it? It's a world of traaaaaaaades, and we're gonna open our eyes up.

• Like (+1) 2

Aside from a Skinner deal, I would guess that GMJB would not want to fall into trap of another Kyle Okposo FA signing scenario with a long term commitment.  So don't expect a big name FA rental signing on Monday.  If he were to make such a move, it would not be until after the next CBA, where ownership is hoping to cap the length of term to something much more reasonable (ex. maybe 5 years vs. 8 years).

27 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

It is a good name for a band.

What will we do with the extra first round pick(s)? Will we hold it, move it, hold it, move it, hold it, move it, hold it, move it? It's a world of traaaaaaaades, and we're gonna open our eyes up.

To quote someone else around here....."i'm kind of aroused".

18 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Oh well Duchene gone to Columbus.

So this tells me Panarin is staying put and that Columbus is "all-in" for winning this year.  If Columbus resigns him, it will cost an extra R1 pick....steep price. 

So if GMJB could get an offer of two R1 picks for Jeff Skinner, does he take it and hope we resign him in the summer?

46 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I predict it will be a disappointing one again. Botteril is the type of guy who takes things at his own pace and wont make any quick moves without careful and thorough evaluation (look at the Skinner situation where he wanted to see more of him rather then try and make a deal before he continued on the pace he was going and getting more expensive).

They saw this as another building/development year and wont make and rash decision to try for the playoffs because it wasnt part of the plan for this year. He will make some moves after the season for next year where they will have a goal of making the playoffs. Had they made the playoffs this year it would have just been gravy for them, but they dont want to risk any potential in the future by not sticking to their plan.

I would expect there may be a few veteran UFAs moved if teams are interested, but I would not expect them to buy unless it's a young almost ready prospect or someone with some term left on their deal

Spot on. Although I would like to see something happen to improve the team now, it's much more likely to happen around the draft.

• Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

So this tells me Panarin is staying put and that Columbus is "all-in" for winning this year.  If Columbus resigns him, it will cost an extra R1 pick....steep price. 

So if GMJB could get an offer of two R1 picks for Jeff Skinner, does he take it and hope we resign him in the summer?

Tough one.  I'd say if he doesn't sign by the deadline we might have to.  Of course we're not privy to the discussions but if Skinner seems set on 9.5 or I'll just go to free agency and let the market decide - we might just have to and hope we can part with him with the thought, this doesn't mean we don't want you back. 

20 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

If he got 2-1st rd picks he won't be available in the summer. The 2nd pick would be contingent upon the team re-signing Skinner.

10 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

If he got 2-1st rd picks he won't be available in the summer. The 2nd pick would be contingent upon the team re-signing Skinner.

Good point.  It would have to be just a straight trade with no signing contingency or obviously risk the potential of not having the opportunity to sign him.  

1 hour ago, ... said:

Skinner didn't come here to get traded.  I suspect any attempt to even probe whether Skinner would be okay with a trade would quickly and immediately end negotiations.

How do you know that? Skinner has been in the NHL for 9 years and has still never been in the playoffs. Maybe he would enjoy such an experience for a few months, and then this summer he would still get to sign with the Sabres for market value. Could potentially be a win-win deal for everyone involved, though i don't know the details of Skinner's family and whether travel logistics would make playing for a rental team reasonable.