Sabres Trade Deadline Predictions

GASabresIUFAN

With just a couple of days til the deadline what will Jbot actually do?

Is he a buyer or seller at the deadline or both?

Will there be a blockbuster deal?  Or Will we only see a couple of small deals? Nothing at all? Deals to bolster the Amerks? 

I think the answer comes down to his mindset.  Can he salvage this season? If he thinks so maybe he actually makes a big deal for a Kevin Hayes or Coyle to get us the center we need. Maybe he’s also thrown in the towel and will start bringing up kids to see if they can contribute.  This means he’s a seller and guys like Baloo or even Nelson could be traded. 

Its funny but I really have no idea what he is going to do.  Scandella’s and KO’s injuries changes the situation somewhat.  I thought Scandella or Baloo might be traded but now I’m not so sure. 

The good news is that the next couple of days have some drama for the Sabres.  It will give us a clue as to what Jbot thinks about this team.  Also with back to back games at the deadline I suspect any moves with the Sabres need to be done ASAP.

• Like (+1) 1

I was hoping to see Skinner signed by the trade deadline. I feel like if he's not (which it appears may be the case now) we're going to lose him in the offseason. Not to mention as we continue to lose, does he really want to stay here? Yes, he's having a great year paired with Eichel, but he's spent years losing in Carolina, does he really want to be part of a rebuild here? Then again, I worry he'll get a huge contract and then regress/get hurt.

That seems to be what happens with most big contracts we've signed of late.

Personally I want JBot to stay fairly quiet unless he can pull off a con to get rid of dead weight or somehow get us a non-rental #2 center. The latter is more likely for an offseason move though and the former is not likely to happen without us giving up someone I'd rather keep or giving up draft picks (which I'd also rather keep at this point).

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

With just a couple of days til the deadline what will Jbot actually do?

Is he a buyer or seller at the deadline or both?

Will there be a blockbuster deal?  Or Will we only see a couple of small deals? Nothing at all? Deals to bolster the Amerks? 

I think the answer comes down to his mindset.  Can he salvage this season? If he thinks so maybe he actually makes a big deal for a Kevin Hayes or Coyle to get us the center we need. Maybe he’s also thrown in the towel and will start bringing up kids to see if they can contribute.  This means he’s a seller and guys like Baloo or even Nelson could be traded. 

Its funny but I really have no idea what he is going to do.  Scandella’s and KO’s injuries changes the situation somewhat.  I thought Scandella or Baloo might be traded but now I’m not so sure. 

The good news is that the next couple of days have some drama for the Sabres.  It will give us a clue as to what Jbot thinks about this team.  Also with back to back games at the deadline I suspect any moves with the Sabres need to be done ASAP.

Coyle was traded, so take him off your list...Botterill should've traded for Coyle and Neiderreiter, who were traded for peanuts.

As for the Amerks, they don't need help...they will get it in the form of Mittelstadt, Thompson, Smith and Pilut. (Plus Nylander, Criscuolo, and Malone will be back from injuries.)

Edited by Dank Dangleson

This season is a lost cause, but the FO seems to think things are on the right track for the future. If anything, I would see the Sabres as buyers rather than sellers, but I doubt they land anyone good.  They certainly should not be trading assets for rentals at this point.

Contenders would be interested in Pominville and some might try to make a move on Skinner, but I hope the FO doesn't do that. I could also see interest in Bogosian and maybe Sheary, since he's got a lot of deep playoff experience for a young guy. Otherwise, there's not much to see here. 

28 minutes ago, Dank Dangleson said:

Coyle was traded, so take him off your list...Botterill should've traded for Coyle and Neiderreiter, who were traded for peanuts.

As for the Amerks, they don't need help...they will get it in the form of Mittelstadt, Thompson, Smith and Pilut. (Plus Nylander, Criscuolo, and Malone will be back from injuries.)

Teams don't typically send down a guy who has spent the full season with the big club.  Now specifically when you look at a guy like Mittelstadt who many say it looks like he's hit a wall, you don't send that guy down and gas him even further.

Out of curiosity though as to your line of thinking though, if you're sending down the first two, why wouldn't you be doing the same with Dahlin?

So JBott must be taking trade offers for Skinner at the same time Skinner's agent is making offers for a contract. And then asking for something else in a trade while making counter offers in contract talks. Those must be some interesting discussions going on with the top brass weighing those options. It's funny that JBott looked like genius getting Skinner but might come out looking worse if the guy just walks away and we get nothing, or even if he trades him for a decent player (defense), people will hate him. I have very little confidence Skinner resigns. Hope I'm wrong, though.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm guessing the team will be minor sellers.  Maybe moving a deck chair or two for a few pucks.  I'd be shocked if they moved anyone that has had a significant impact or if they obtained anyone (at all, really).  The situation here says "treading water" to me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

According to what the TSN Insiders just said on the tv we may or may not be involved in Duchene talks so make of that what you will. Probably nothing. 

Hopefully they aren't going that way.  Can't see him being worth what the Otters would demand to trade him in division.

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

According to what the TSN Insiders just said on the tv we may or may not be involved in Duchene talks so make of that what you will. Probably nothing. 

That would be very interesting.  What would it cost?  Ott needs a first.  He’s have to sign immediately. 

From what they said there are 4 or 5 teams interested and all of them want to make sure they can sign him and not just trade for a rental. Ottawa wants a lot though so I doubt we are actually seriously in this. If we are I suspect it would mean a huge overhaul and we'd be trading away something bigger like Reinhart or even Mittlestadt and more.

21 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

So JBott must be taking trade offers for Skinner at the same time Skinner's agent is making offers for a contract. And then asking for something else in a trade while making counter offers in contract talks. Those must be some interesting discussions going on with the top brass weighing those options. It's funny that JBott looked like genius getting Skinner but might come out looking worse if the guy just walks away and we get nothing, or even if he trades him for a decent player (defense), people will hate him. I have very little confidence Skinner resigns. Hope I'm wrong, though.

I think the deadline will likely tell us how confident Botterill is that Skinner will sign. If not traded, I expect the organization thinks he'll sign. Am I correct that currently he can only sign a 7 year contract while he can sign for 8 after the season?

Just now, mphs mike said:

I think the deadline will likely tell us how confident Botterill is that Skinner will sign. If not traded, I expect the organization thinks he'll sign. Am I correct that currently he can only sign a 7 year contract while he can sign for 8 after the season?

He can sign for 8 after the deadline.

2 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

He can sign for 8 after the deadline.

According to Taro, if the letter of the CBA is followed that is the case, but he said that many of the 'talking heads' (really good name for a band, IMO) were saying that 8 was posssible (only for the Sabres) at anytime.

I am going by memory on that being what Taro sez.  So, better not put any stock in it atol.

11 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

According to Taro, if the letter of the CBA is followed that is the case, but he said that many of the 'talking heads' (really good name for a band, IMO) were saying that 8 was posssible (only for the Sabres) at anytime.

I am going by memory on that being what Taro sez.  So, better not put any stock in it atol.

Doing this again... 

You only get an 8-year deal if you were on the roster of your current team prior to the previous trade deadline.  Ergo, the Sabres can't give him 8 yet since he was in Carolina at the last deadline. 

David Byrne and co. are the only Talking Heads worth listening to, on this and pretty much any other matter.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I'm expecting absolutely nothing to be done to better the team in any appreciable way. Why the negativity, you ask? Because our dear GM believes that championship NHL teams are built on geological time scales. Those 3 first round 2019 draft picks are sure going to be valuable contributors on the 2022-23 Buffalo Sabres roster that finally snaps the NHL postseason drought record. Not all will be forsaken,  however. JBots will make enough deals over the next few days to ensure we have a full cache of Remi Elies to propel the Amerks and Cyclones to minor league championship glory.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

I'm expecting absolutely nothing to be done to better the team in any appreciable way. Why the negativity, you ask? Because our dear GM believes that championship NHL teams are built on geological time scales. Those 3 first round 2019 draft picks are sure going to be valuable contributors on the 2022-23 Buffalo Sabres roster that finally snaps the NHL postseason drought record. Not all will be forsaken,  however. JBots will make enough deals over the next few days to ensure we have a full cache of Remi Elies to propel the Amerks and Cyclones to minor league championship glory.

If he believed that he wouldn’t have acquired Skinner.