Botterill backs coaches, cites "progress"

PASabreFan

5 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think he is / was in timeout for a while.

+++++

JBOT is not wrong.  There certainly has been progress and a lot of it.  The problem is that the Sabres went on that 10 game win streak and everyone thought they had really turned a corner.  Someone posted here (sorry, I can't remember who) that it would have been better had the 10 wins had been more spread out and not in a row.  If they had been we would all feel better about the progress made this season.  I agree with that.

I think is is the correct move not to fire the HC at this point.

Seriously? If so, is it a timeout that’s been evenly applied? His behavior is no different from plenty other posts/posters here. Rough edges notwithstanding, he certainly contributes to discuss. And when he does get testy, at least it gives the board something to read. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just watched that interview. I have admittedly not seen him in too many recent interviews but he seemed to a little defensive and edgy from the get go.

i also didn't agree with him putting the focus on the last 10 games playing better in spurts and ignoring the team stopped performing well almost another 20 games before these last 10.

Yeah I definitely can see and agree with what some are saying in the thread that comparatively speaking their is improvement or hope for growth in the changes that were made but trumping out the rookie excuse playing in prominent roles they haven't been in before didn't sit well with me. 

I would have liked someone to ask why did we put those players in that position when that's a likely outcome and not get a few more veterans to fill the gap to let the Rooks develop in Rachacha.  I would prefer he man up and say they expected the year to be a throw away  because they decided to put those players in that position. 

I would also have liked to ask him how that approach reconciles with what he said about building through the farm and letting the players learn how to win in the AHL vs losing in the NHL... but that probably would have not gone over with the PR they were selling...          

13 hours ago, IrwinNelson said:

Seriously? If so, is it a timeout that’s been evenly applied? His behavior is no different from plenty other posts/posters here. Rough edges notwithstanding, he certainly contributes to discuss. And when he does get testy, at least it gives the board something to read. 

You are asking the wrong person.  I just read and observe the board.

18 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think he is / was in timeout for a while.

+++++

JBOT is not wrong.  There certainly has been progress and a lot of it.  The problem is that the Sabres went on that 10 game win streak and everyone thought they had really turned a corner.  Someone posted here (sorry, I can't remember who) that it would have been better had the 10 wins had been more spread out and not in a row.  If they had been we would all feel better about the progress made this season.  I agree with that.

I think is is the correct move not to fire the HC at this point.

I hope Jame isn’t gone. Aside from the actual knowledge I like how he’s not afraid to mix it up a bit. I honestly smile when people get upset because I think... it’s the Internet, not like someone getting in your face for real.

I think I’m one of two non liberals in the Oval Office. I made a couple joking posts and everyone loses their mind. You have always been kind NS. Never forgotten. #bromance

Anyway, I agree with you. I think the streak put us into a flawed sense of reality. But then they do good against Tampa and I’m scratching my head wondering if I’m in the twilight zone. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I hope Jame isn’t gone. Aside from the actual knowledge I like how he’s not afraid to mix it up a bit. I honestly smile when people get upset because I think... it’s the Internet, not like someone getting in your face for real.

I think I’m one of two non liberals in the Oval Office. I made a couple joking posts and everyone loses their mind. You have always been kind NS. Never forgotten. #bromance

Anyway, I agree with you. I think the streak put us into a flawed sense of reality. But then they do good against Tampa and I’m scratching my head wondering if I’m in the twilight zone. 

I think the inconsistency mirrors their captain and we often forget how young he still is.  Posted in game time thread that coach should take away their xbox's and cell phones and treat them like teenagers... gotta come at them from all different directions to keep them off balance otherwise they'll get used to it and start sliding back... One day a hug, another punishment without emotion, another tell them good job, another day just nod and another day fire them up or confront them on their crap and finally just let them sit in their crap till they change... ps in Oval Office, I take all that stuff with a grain of salt... just enjoy arguing, even  passionately... your fine taking the other side of those arguments... can't speak for others.  

51 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

I think the inconsistency mirrors their captain and we often forget how young he still is.  Posted in game time thread that coach should take away their xbox's and cell phones and treat them like teenagers... gotta come at them from all different directions to keep them off balance otherwise they'll get used to it and start sliding back... One day a hug, another punishment without emotion, another tell them good job, another day just nod and another day fire them up or confront them on their crap and finally just let them sit in their crap till they change... ps in Oval Office, I take all that stuff with a grain of salt... just enjoy arguing, even  passionately... your fine taking the other side of those arguments... can't speak for others.  

We talkin about the Sabres or raising children? Oh wait, same thing.

• Like (+1) 1

We do have pieces.  But the simple reality is we are not even “average” yet.  It is very likely this will take many many years yet.  Even that is not a guarantee unless we make smart additions and good drafting and development.  At least Rochester has made an incredible turn around.  

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

Close to the worst record in the ENTIRE conference since the streak ended 2 months ago? Bring on the progress folks!

JB and PH can both ***** off with their "progress" talk. The more sensible Sabres fans among us are just about ready to "progress" to more enjoyable forms of leisure than religiously following the worst NHL franchise of the past 8 years.

18 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

JB and PH can both ***** off with their "progress" talk. The more sensible Sabres fans among us are just about ready to "progress" to more enjoyable forms of leisure than religiously following the worst NHL franchise of the past 8 years.

And yet Eichel and Reinhart are setting career highs in points.

The Sabres have a league top goal scorer in Skinner (yes, for how long remains a question).

The Sabres have the best defensive prospect in the league in a long time.

They've improved their goaltending (even if lately it seems suspect).

I think it's irrational (yes, fans are irrational, but you used the word sensible) to hold Botterill and Housley accountable for the mistakes of the owner and the prior management. I might argue that a sensible fan would recognize those items and also recognize that while this team was not as good as the 10 game win streak this year showed, they are certainly capable of playing ALMOST to that level and that with a few more tweaks the next level is closer than it was any of those prior 8 years you are referencing.

Just trying to help recognize the things that are improving on this team compared to prior years, despite the record.

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

What's it like to play for a franchise that has adopted this posture for well over five years? How demoralizing is it?

They didn't though. Trading for Kane, O'Reilly, Kulikov and Lehner and signing Okposo was exactly the opposite posture.

27 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

What's it like to play for a franchise that has adopted this posture for well over five years? How demoralizing is it?

It's a fair question.  I do think there's something to be said for these players who have signed deals (even if they were RFAs).  There's certainly an aspect of wanting to be part of making the team successful.  I do believe that some players form a relationship with the city and they genuinely want to succeed there. 

2 hours ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Good luck. Where ya headed?

4 hours ago, LTS said:

And yet Eichel and Reinhart are setting career highs in points.

The Sabres have a league top goal scorer in Skinner (yes, for how long remains a question).

The Sabres have the best defensive prospect in the league in a long time.

They've improved their goaltending (even if lately it seems suspect).

I think it's irrational (yes, fans are irrational, but you used the word sensible) to hold Botterill and Housley accountable for the mistakes of the owner and the prior management. I might argue that a sensible fan would recognize those items and also recognize that while this team was not as good as the 10 game win streak this year showed, they are certainly capable of playing ALMOST to that level and that with a few more tweaks the next level is closer than it was any of those prior 8 years you are referencing.

Just trying to help recognize the things that are improving on this team compared to prior years, despite the record.

Ok, but I don't think it's irrational to hold JB and PH accountable for the past 35 games. The team has been treading along at a 65-point season pace for the past 3 months.  Remember that JB and PH inherited a roster that finished a disappointing 78 points and then took them to an NHL-worst 63 points last year. And all this with a healthy roster all season. You cite the individual progress of our top line. Fine. I will cite the overall team's lack of progress. Which is more important? At what point will all the "voice of reason" fans like you start holding these guys accountable? If they don't make the playoffs next year, will that be ok with you? How about the 2020-21 season?

On 2/21/2019 at 12:43 PM, dudacek said:

I agree. That entire interview was set up by the team's PR department to reassure the fan base and I don't think Jason did a good job of it.

I think he's a capable hockey man, but at times he sounded like he was trying to convince himself.

True, but it's the first time he sounded uncomfortable and not self-assured. That said, it was probably also the first time he's really been "attacked."

This. As a whole the season is moving as expected and players have progressed compared to last year.

But over the last 30 games, and particularly since the break, both have moved backwards and to the fan base and the media it is highly reminiscent of Tim Murray's final stretch drive two years ago where the team was in disarray and Murray was at a loss for answers.

The interview was not set up by the Sabres PR Department.

It was specifically requested by Paul Hamilton and granted by the Sabres.  In the interest of efficiency, they then opened Paul's 1-on-1 time with the GM request to other members of the press, which was a whopping 4 including Paul.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Ok, but I don't think it's irrational to hold JB and PH accountable for the past 35 games. The team has been treading along at a 65-point season pace for the past 3 months.  Remember that JB and PH inherited a roster that finished a disappointing 78 points and then took them to an NHL-worst 63 points last year. And all this with a healthy roster all season. You cite the individual progress of our top line. Fine. I will cite the overall team's lack of progress. Which is more important? At what point will all the "voice of reason" fans like you start holding these guys accountable? If they don't make the playoffs next year, will that be ok with you? How about the 2020-21 season?

I have no problem holding them accountable. I think ,in spite of the record, they have improved in core talent. Obviously they need to continue to add. I think we're a team that largely depends on very young hockey players. Inconsistency is not unusual with young players. Also mental toughness is still maturing. I do think solid veteran leadership could help but if you're going to invest in the youngsters and development then it's usually not over night huge swing in wins and losses. The contrast of Florida game and Tampa game are glaring example of the inconsistent play. We now have a nucleus of talent not seen on this team in along time in my opinion. By the way. My asking "where ya going" was meant to be fun. Bad humor my part.

49 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

The interview was not set up by the Sabres PR Department.

It was specifically requested by Paul Hamilton and granted by the Sabres.  In the interest of efficiency, they then opened Paul's 1-on-1 time with the GM request to other members of the press, which was a whopping 4 including Paul.

"facilitated?" "agreed to?"

My point still stands. The PR department is aware of the sentiment of the fan base and thought it would be a good idea to have the GM reassure the fans.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.