Scott Cullen retweeted this take about old time hockey

SDS

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here yet is ....how does the salary cap play into all this?

There is plenty of talented players out there in other leagues (see Pilut) that could fill a roster. But, with one or two players on a team making $10mm or more, when you get to the bottom half of the roster you are more or less reduce to signing lesser talent to "fit" the salary cap. Also, "roles" are established due to the talent on the team.

I'm sure some people would love to see this team able to roll four quality scoring lines. With the Dmen and system trying to be established here, it could be an amazing thing to see.

The other thing is that the "thought" process of "protecting" your bigger assets hasn't and won't likely go away as long as there is any grit and sandpaper.

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think there's any ebb and flow at all. It's a steady progression towards a faster and less physical game. 

Wait until the playoffs start.  There is still a huge physical component to the game, though it is not defined in the same terms as it used to be.

It's not a speed vs. size type argument.  It's more like the big, fast team beats the smaller, fast team.  The slow team doesn't even fit into the equation.

I would still put a huge emphasis on size and physical play in new prospects, as long as they have some speed to match.  They don't have to be the fastest guy in the league, but they can't be slow.  

1 minute ago, Kruppstahl said:

Wait until the playoffs start.  

Well it depends on what you mean by physical. The original point was an argument related to goons and expansion bringing more low skilled players into the league. There are almost no fights in the playoffs any more. Physicality like we saw last night in our game against Tampa, but very little or no fights and no place at all for goons. 

I’ve written enough about the energy hockey games brought back in the day.   I’ve pointed to the source, as best I can.   I loved it.

However, I no longer miss fighting.   Again, without rehashing, watching boys expose themselves to chronic health risk for my entertainment ...  well, I can’t go there as a dad and grandad.  I winced when KO dropped his gloves against the Rangers.  “No, Kyle, not for any of us at home or on the ice.”

21 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think there's any ebb and flow at all. It's a steady progression towards a faster and less physical game. 

The West Coast teams as of the last 10 years where back to size and physicality after the lockout years that saw speed and skill. Ebb and flow.

It has more to do with how the game is called, than what the fans want. You tell me how the refs/league  are going to call games in 10 years I bet we can all predict the hockey being played.

3 hours ago, woods-racer said:

The West Coast teams as of the last 10 years where back to size and physicality after the lockout years that saw speed and skill. Ebb and flow.

It has more to do with how the game is called, than what the fans want. You tell me how the refs/league  are going to call games in 10 years I bet we can all predict the hockey being played.

I have a different view. My own belief is as this game has become more corporate, more white collar, more female friendly, a wealthier crowd, the demand has shifted towards what those people wanted, which is a faster cleaner game. People who don't like fighting are now in control and it isn't going back.

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I have a different view. My own belief is as this game has become more corporate, more white collar, more female friendly, a wealthier crowd, the demand has shifted towards what those people wanted, which is a faster cleaner game. People who don't like fighting are now in control and it isn't going back.

My take is slightly different.

The crowd is richer now because tickets prices dictate that only those better off can afford to go. They still want the same as all fans want, to see winning entertaining hockey.

In order to win you need four good lines. That is darn near impossible to do if you have even just 1 or two guys that are goons. If you want to win there are no goons which means there is a dramatic down turn in fighting.

If the Sabres won the Stanley cup and had the most fights of any team that year I'm willing to bet there would be a waiting list for season tickets that this team has never seen before.

My point is just simply, people are not going to stay away because there is fighting. They will if they lose.

Edited by woods-racer

7 hours ago, woods-racer said:

My point is just simply, people are not going to stay away because there is fighting. They will if they lose.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one but I am 100 percent positive that it'll never go back to the way it was and fighting will continue to fade away albeit slowly. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

We will have to agree to disagree on this one but I am 100 percent positive that it'll never go back to the way it was and fighting will continue to fade away albeit slowly. 

I'll predict that by 2035 it will be like a combination of Thunderdome and Rollerball with hockey sticks...lol

15 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I agree with you it's fading away. I disagree as to who has more control over it and why. I believe it's the players and coach's more than fans and owners. They have the most to lose and it doesn't win games or make the player/coach more money. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.