GDT: Sabres @ Lightning, 7:30pm, February 21, 2019

LGR4GM

I can't believe all the bullsh!t positive vibes in this thread. Doesn't anyone else remember the previous 3 games we played against Tampa Bay this season? We played very well in all of them. Those competitive games against an elite opponent didn't lead to much, though, did they? This season is in the same toilet bowl as the previous 7 because the Sabres chose to build on quality TB games like this one by proceeding to repeatedly faceplant against the NHL's bottom-dwellers.

10 hours ago, Tondas said:

Agree.  Phil doens't have the experience to fit the scheme to his players, so he tries to fit his players to his system.  Inexperience.

It's pretty clear to me that both Phil and Jason believe in a style of game they believe is necessary to win in the NHL these days and is in the process of a) teaching players how to play it, and b) acquiring players who can play it.

10 hours ago, SDS said:

Or what if this team has been operating in a different mode other than win by any means? What if coming from last place, the point of this season was to see who is capable of doing what and who is not capable?  What if Phil wants to train his youngest stars to play the way he wants them to play instead of having them play to the lowest common denominator on a team that is not ready for prime time? 

This. Whether it works or not, it's a path you have to stick with long-term in order to make it work.

52 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It's pretty clear to me that both Phil and Jason believe in a style of game they believe is necessary to win in the NHL these days and is in the process of a) teaching players how to play it, and b) acquiring players who can play it.

This. Whether it works or not, it's a path you have to stick with long-term in order to make it work.

Boy, this reeks of "we just have to let our core develop."

It's a pretty convenient way to get out of any current accountability.

The Tank is dead. Long live the Tank.

Edited by SwampD

52 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Boy, this reeks of "we just have to let our core develop."

It's a pretty convenient way to get out of any current accountability.

The Tank is dead. Long live the Tank.

I think the bold is exactly what it is. The rest, not so much.

It's not tanking, but "internal development" and "playing the right way" have been preached since this brain trust arrived. In their minds, it's a process that is ongoing and, in the big picture, relatively on track.

No idea if it will work, but I respect them more for sticking to the plan than I would them throwing it out 60 games in.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

The big issue I see with this plan is time.  Every 5-7yrs the league seems to catch up with the current stule of play and then the preferred style of play changes.  At this rate we’ll have developed this awesome squad and they’ll get steamrolled by whatever the next best way to construct a team.

Edit. Or worse yet, one of our key pieces for this style of play gets hurt and can’t do it anymore.  Thats why I dont agree with planning to win X years down the road.  

I know.  Poor sentence structure at the end.  Too lazy to rephrase.

Edited by Weave

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.