Dahlin's expectations

inkman

Rasmus Dahlin - Did we get what we thought he would be?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Has Dahlin lived up to your expectations?

• Completely
    • He's better than I thought
    • No, he's not the generational talent we we're led to believe
    • Jury is still out, he's just a pup

16 minutes ago, LTS said:

Is there an ignore thread function?  I don't like to ignore posters, but I would love to not have to click through these threads every day.

Yes, I know i could go to the main listing, but using the next unread topic at the bottom is super convenient.

No, but there's an ignore forum feature. Probably in your browser settings.

• Haha (+1) 1

I expected more, but that may have been unrealistic.  The skill level is obvious. His defensive mistakes are alarming, even for an 18 year old.  Overall, pretty impressive, but a real long way to go before he is a franchise player.

But he's the least of our worries.

Edited by klos1963
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Taro T said:

Pretty sure that was tongue in cheek, but even if it was, this forum has alreeady lost a lot of good posters. IMHO chasing another good one away is poor form.

Very. But when you're down to asking about ignoring entire threads, something's not quite right.

I am certain that Inky did not want to stir up all this stuff when he started this thread.

Anyway, I am actually very pleasantly (that means goodly) surprised by the play of an 18 year old kid in his first NHL season.  I expected very good and I think he has been better than very good.  Sure, mistakes have been made, but he is extremely sound fundamentally.

He's a teenager and holding his own. What more could you ask from an 18 year old Dman? 32 points, 20 minutes a game, +1, and a new partner every other week. 

Let's look at Risto (who's averaging 40ish points for the last four seasons) at age 19: 34 games; 4 points; -15; 19:07.

We're spoiled. 

15 hours ago, Weave said:

I don't really know what I was expecting.  He's a helluva talent.  He has flaws.  That's not unexpected.  Maybe a more dominating presence was what I expected?  Again, I don't know.  Might be as simple as, the shadow over another year of unfulfilled team expectations has clouded my impression.

Whatever.  I'm way past being interested in analysis of this team.

I'm with you on this one.

The rational me processes what Dudacek  and Liger post and know it to be true

The emotional fan me wanted him to be Super Sabre and hoist this team on his back and be the generational talent from the first game of the season.

I wouldn't even give this a thought right now if they where in a playoff spot at this point in the season. But, I (we?) need a scape goat I guess to ease the loss of another season.

Edited by woods-racer

I hoped for more but my realistic expectations for him have been met. 40 points is elite for an 18 year old D. I believe he may exceed that number.

He will grow stronger and experience will eliminate some of his issues. If you want spectacular plays you must be prepared for epic failures as well.

This guy will not have many defensive problems in a few years because the puck will be on his stick or a teamate's stick for the majority of his TOI.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Very. But when you're down to asking about ignoring entire threads, something's not quite right.

We've all seen threads where someone jumps in just to crap on the thread and people respond "Don't come in here if you don't like it".  Is it that unreasonable?  There are threads on here that I'm not interested in jumping through.  If there was an ignore feature it would be helpful. I figured I would ask.

As for your initial response and my response. Given some of the antagonistic responses I've had from you in the past, the guard is always on. I'm also very edgy right now because of other things. So my apologies for missing your intention.

5 hours ago, RonHextallsShoulderPads said:

He's a teenager and holding his own. What more could you ask from an 18 year old Dman? 32 points, 20 minutes a game, +1, and a new partner every other week. 

Let's look at Risto (who's averaging 40ish points for the last four seasons) at age 19: 34 games; 4 points; -15; 19:07.

We're spoiled. 

Exactly.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

We've all seen threads where someone jumps in just to crap on the thread and people respond "Don't come in here if you don't like it".  Is it that unreasonable?  There are threads on here that I'm not interested in jumping through.  If there was an ignore feature it would be helpful. I figured I would ask.

As for your initial response and my response. Given some of the antagonistic responses I've had from you in the past, the guard is always on. I'm also very edgy right now because of other things. So my apologies for missing your intention.

How would you know you'd want to ignore it without reading it?

Sorry if I've added stress to your day. You know we've had a back and forth about "positivity" that is still stuck in my craw. I will keep it in my craw for another day.

24 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

How would you know you'd want to ignore it without reading it?

Sorry if I've added stress to your day. You know we've had a back and forth about "positivity" that is still stuck in my craw. I will keep it in my craw for another day.

You've been fine.  No worries.  It would be for no longer reading a thread once you've decided you've seen enough.  The same as ignoring a poster I suppose.

2 hours ago, ... said:

Surely there's a Ryan O'Reilly connection that can be exploited in this thread for that very purpose.

If JBot didn't get rid of ROR, Dahlin would be much better and have at least 60pts by now.  Management has likely ruined him now because he won't win the ROY and has to be the "scape goat" as someone here said.

Also, in 6yrs, when Dahlin is still making a dumb play now and again, we can expect to have a TRADE DAHLIN thread to argue about.We'll then trade him to Edmonton to finish his career.

On another note.....I read a headline about the Blues and how their turnaround is being attributed to Berube and Bennington. It also, made me laugh when they said they aren't satisfied with the 11 game streak.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.