Character of the Sabres!!

sweetlou

9 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm not too worried about the character or the toughness of this team.  Tampa doesn't play with a ton of toughness and they are doing pretty well this season (as goes for a lot of the top teams).  Give me scoring.

I'm not saying you want a Sabres team as soft as the one they had when Miller was run by Lucic...you DO want to have some guys to finish checks and clear out the front of the net....but I think other teams find the Sabres "harder to play against" if they had a couple more blazing fast forward who can fill the net with the puck rather than a couple more guys who are going to finish every check.

Seems to me that their superstars like Point and Kucherov do play with an edge...last night Point went after Skinner.  Did you miss how Kucherov went after Risto as well?  I think they have BOTH toughness and scoring vs. Buffalo.  Can you see Eichel or Reinhart reacting like Point and Kucherov?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Seems to me that their superstars like Point and Kucherov do play with an edge...last night Point went after Skinner.  Did you miss how Kucherov went after Risto as well?  I think they have BOTH toughness and scoring vs. Buffalo.  Can you see Eichel or Reinhart reacting like Point and Kucherov?

100% accurate

that was a losing battle by kucherov, i don't know why he bothered.  it actually made me giggle.  that doesn't scream toughness to me.  and point taking out frustration on skinner of all people?  again, i don't see touhgness there...maybe if he went after bo-lew or something.

granted, i don't see any toughness in buffalo's top 9 either, so there's that.

1 minute ago, will said:

that was a losing battle by kucherov, i don't know why he bothered.  it actually made me giggle.  that doesn't scream toughness to me.  and point taking out frustration on skinner of all people?  again, i don't see touhgness there...maybe if he went after bo-lew or something.

granted, i don't see any toughness in buffalo's top 9 either, so there's that.

Optics matter.  Small dogs can put up a fierce front even if they are overmatched.  In the Sabres case, they're more like Possums and hope the other teams will not attack them out of pity.

On 2/20/2019 at 4:19 PM, bills_fan_in_raleigh said:

we need a coach like Brindamore the guy has a very low skilled team playing almost in playoff hockey.   Didn't think this was a good hire but looking better daily while we have Housley leading our young team YIKES

Carolina has one of the sickest backends in hockey and Aho is a complete stud. I wouldn’t say they’re “very low skilled.”

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

Kuch has more of a short temper than he does edge. Might be semantics, but he’s only doing stuff when he gets personally offended. 

2 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Seems to me that their superstars like Point and Kucherov do play with an edge...last night Point went after Skinner.  Did you miss how Kucherov went after Risto as well?  I think they have BOTH toughness and scoring vs. Buffalo.  Can you see Eichel or Reinhart reacting like Point and Kucherov?

Pretty sure that was at least the 3rd time Kucherov got pounded by Ristolainen and (on only a single viewing, looked like he might've gotten a stick to the chin after the whistle; if Risto didn't catch his chin, he came darn close) that looked painful & post whistle.  Absolutely could see Eichel do that in the situation & possibly Reinhart as well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.