Character of the Sabres!!

sweetlou

The Sabres franchise as a history of being easy to play against.  Yes over the years we have had some great character team mates willing to step up for team mates when needed.  They don't have those players now.  The Sabres only have a couple of players in Bogo and Risto who consistently hit opponents every chance they get. The only other player is Baloo who has been stuck in Housley's doghouse for whatever reason.  There is not one forward that other teams defense fears when they go back after a puck.

This team still has too many bottom six players and not enough top end talent. 

Risto seems to digress each year and aside from the hitting looks like another Tyler Myers out there. LOST.

JBotts made a point last off season to get more speed. Accomplished with Sheary and Skinner.

This off season he needs to address the power forward position.  

UFA's- Ferland, Simmonds, or Tanev

4 hours ago, sweetlou said:

The Sabres franchise as a history of being easy to play against.  Yes over the years we have had some great character team mates willing to step up for team mates when needed.  They don't have those players now.  The Sabres only have a couple of players in Bogo and Risto who consistently hit opponents every chance they get. The only other player is Baloo who has been stuck in Housley's doghouse for whatever reason.  There is not one forward that other teams defense fears when they go back after a puck.

This team still has too many bottom six players and not enough top end talent. 

Risto seems to digress each year and aside from the hitting looks like another Tyler Myers out there. LOST.

JBotts made a point last off season to get more speed. Accomplished with Sheary and Skinner.

This off season he needs to address the power forward position.  

UFA's- Ferland, Simmonds, or Tanev

We trade a power forward (Kane) and surprisingly we are in need of a power forward. Who woulda thunk?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

A token power forward isn't going to resolve this team's toughness problem.  They play soft top to bottom and that is because the people who evaluate talent within this organization do not value toughness.

Don't expect much to change for that reason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, klos1963 said:

We trade a power forward (Kane) and surprisingly we are in need of a power forward. Who woulda thunk?

I saw a bit of Kane against Boston the other night and he hasn't changed a bit, he's just on a better team, but he's still the one trick selfish pony he has always been. Skinner is a far better player for us on Jack's wing. 

Could we use a Ferland type on the other side? Absolutely. 

Sabres just have too many "soft players". No one who finishes checks, (maybe Girgs).  Too many "skilled" forwards who can't beat anyone one on one or hit the net on a shot.

That is why I always like Foligno's game. Expectations on goal scoring were too high for him but he was a solid 3rd or 4th line winger who other teams had to know was on the ice. 

1 minute ago, klos1963 said:

anyone on the roster? Anyone that might help the team?  O'Regan will probably never see the NHL and 2 draft picks that we don't even know and at best a few years away from even breaking the lineup.  We need help today.

So you think JBot traded Kane, didn't get anything back, didn't make him an offer and thought we don't need a winger?

23 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

So you think JBot traded Kane, didn't get anything back, didn't make him an offer and thought we don't need a winger?

we got squat for him, pretty sure from reports last year were that no offer was made to him, i'm sure he realized we needed a winger, especially after trading one.

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

we got squat for him, pretty sure from reports last year were that no offer was made to him, i'm sure he realized we needed a winger, especially after trading one.

Squat?  How does a trade actually work when nothing is given by the other team involved?  That's not a trade is it?

6 hours ago, bills_fan_in_raleigh said:

we need a coach like Brindamore the guy has a very low skilled team playing almost in playoff hockey.   Didn't think this was a good hire but looking better daily while we have Housley leading our young team YIKES

Yes, and the fans will stay and watch the post game cheers and scripted celebrations.  

Realize if we had resigned Kane, Sabres would not have Skinner now.  Like Skinner better than Kane.

My point is we need top end guys with speed and skill and bottom six with a little more toughness and grit. We need players to wear down the other teams defense, players who will go to the corners and front of the net. 

Too many of our bottom players turn away from a hit along the boards instead of finishing their checks. They do a pass by the net instead of standing there waiting for a deflection or rebound.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not too worried about the character or the toughness of this team.  Tampa doesn't play with a ton of toughness and they are doing pretty well this season (as goes for a lot of the top teams).  Give me scoring.

I'm not saying you want a Sabres team as soft as the one they had when Miller was run by Lucic...you DO want to have some guys to finish checks and clear out the front of the net....but I think other teams find the Sabres "harder to play against" if they had a couple more blazing fast forward who can fill the net with the puck rather than a couple more guys who are going to finish every check.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.