Canada's Watergate

Sabres Fan in NS

I just signed up to the club again to put this in here and see if anyone has any thoughts on it.

+++++

Canadians are very easy going and tend to be rather lazy when digging for information.  Our politicians and politics reflect this and there are not very many real scandals.  Until now.

Here are some links to the story ... 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gerald-butts-opposition-parliamentary-probe-1.5023941

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/gerald-butts-1.5023925

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-wilson-raybould-snc-lavalin-1.5021220

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-wilson-raybould-attorney-general-snc-lavalin-1.5014271

This is huge and it is not going away.  In fact, every day it just is worse and worse for our Prime Minister.  This could very well be his undoing.

• Like (+1) 1

Things are happening all over the world. Truths are coming and media is continuing to show they are propaganda. In a nut shell we are seeing the control of corrupt governments slowly eroding as truth comes to light. The way these people try to keep us distracted is through division by race, gender, religion, sexual orientation and class. 

Whenever something revealing is about to drop there is some incident. One example is when the Virginia Governor got caught doing blackface right after the abortion bills were signed. It’s all meant to distract. 

We also had an actor say he was attacked for being black and gay by “MAGA” supporters. That now looks very much like the actor (victim) set it up himself. Funny how he says they were wearing MAGA hats. I wonder what the point of that was.

Media outlets in the U.S. and Europe write many articles trying to debunk leading conspiracy theories and are now trying to say how they are dangerous. Why so much attention if it’s only conspiracy theories? 

Both right and left do these things. We still never found those WMDs in Iraq but during those early years there was this color coded alert system to let Americans know the terror threat. They no longer have it on the news because it was meaningless accept to keep people in fear in order to further our campaigns. BTW we found precious metals in Afghanistan. What a coincidence.

What you are seeing in Canada we are seeing here. Weaponizing of government agencies to target those who don’t go along, sexually predatory behavior of politicians, and lie after lie. 

Edited by SABRES 0311
  • Thanks (+1) 1

There's a line in one of the articles.. the third maybe?  I'll quote it.

The shifting nature of Trudeau's explanations suggests a recognition that the government's messaging has gotten out of hand and a correction was needed to contain some of the blowback, said one member of former prime minister Paul Martin's inner circle.

This is a phrase that you see so often muttered in politics and, to me, is the most damning. "The messaging".  

I don't need messaging, I need the truth.  Messaging is a function of marketing which is a function of spin.  When you hear things like this it becomes abundantly clear, again, to me, that someone is shading the truth and playing the word game to avoid talking about reality.

Heaven forbid something tarnish that JT polish though. He can talk about quantum computers you know.  Given how many "news" items these days are nothing more than complex "messaging" campaigns, I find it hard to believe anything. Hell, I could say I find it hard to believe that his administration is guilty of it as well. I'm just waiting for some counter-message event to occur that throws the allegation into question and makes it appear as a collaborative creation to upset the current administration.

In short.. who knows what to believe anymore.

• Like (+1) 3

This 'scandal' is huge.  The company is notoriously horrible and has been in hot water for corruption throughout it's past.

The company is a huge lobbyist and pressured the Trudeau regime to put through (hidden in the fine print of a huge bill and no one caught it) a way for Federal prosecutors to make plea deals to avoid big penalties for corruption and fraud convictions at trial and enter pleas to lesser charges and pay fines instead.

The company is in court now facing corruption and fraud charges for bribing officials to gain contracts in Libya.  They went to the PMO to get them to have the AG of Canada instruct the Federal prosecutors on the case enter a plea deal.  The PMO (allegedly) went to the AG and tried to convince her to instruct the prosecutors to do the deal (they report to her).  The AG refused and was banished to the outer reaches of cabinet and then resigned.  The highest ranking official and adviser to the PM just resigned.  

The story was broken by The Globe and Mail, which is the national newspaper in Canada and would not put it out if they did not feel that it was legit 100%.

There are more questions than answers now, but this is huge.  Ultimately, I do think it will be the end of Trudeau.

On 2/19/2019 at 4:23 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

I am not anti-Trudeau, or pro-the other guys.

This stuff happens in Canada, but not to this extent and not this much in public.

It will be interesting to see the impacts of this in the United States as well.  There are a good portion of left leaning supporters who point to Trudeau as a poster child for what a leader can look and talk like.  The play he got when he spoke about quantum computing was unbelievable.  It pared straight up against Trump and his knuckle-dragging talking points.

They won't have this golden child to trot out.

It's good that these things come to light though. People need to be more invested in their leadership. It'll be some tough days for Canada, to be sure.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

It will be interesting to see the impacts of this in the United States as well.  There are a good portion of left leaning supporters who point to Trudeau as a poster child for what a leader can look and talk like.  The play he got when he spoke about quantum computing was unbelievable.  It pared straight up against Trump and his knuckle-dragging talking points.

They won't have this golden child to trot out.

It's good that these things come to light though. People need to be more invested in their leadership. It'll be some tough days for Canada, to be sure.

This Club is like the Godfather ... you keep dragging me back in.

Just kidding.  I would join the club on a regular basis, but I feel that I would spend too much time in it.

Trudeau is not the darling of the left in Canada and the left in the US should not look to him as a role model, unless they are looking to emulate someone who just tests the wind and then goes with whatever is most popular / adventageous at that time.

He definitely is NOT his father.  He is the golden child of the youth of Canada.

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Hasn't Trudeau also backed an oil pipeline project that is super expensive but completely worthless in the long run to Canada's economy? 

He does back the pipeline and has said that he would spend federal $ to have it built.  He, obviously, is trying to appease what little support he has in the West, which is none in Alberta, but fairly strong in BC, where the majority also support the pipeline, IIRC.  Thank goodness you folks south of the boarder have come to their senses about it.  The pipeline is a terrible idea, unless you are in Alberta.  Thank goodness their left-wing (NDP) Premier has stood her ground against it, although she prefers now to transport this terrible grade oil by rail instead, which is a disaster waiting to happen.  There is an election coming pretty soon in Alberta and their one-time experiment with an NDP government certainly appears to be a one-off.

Our illustrious PM was in Halifax for a vigil for the 7 victims of that horrible fire here a few days ago.  He never misses a photo-op, but it was good foe him to come and show support.  The whole city, province and county is reeling.  

23 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Just kidding.  I would join the club on a regular basis, but I feel that I would spend too much time in it.

Trudeau is not the darling of the left in Canada and the left in the US should not look to him as a role model, unless they are looking to emulate someone who just tests the wind and then goes with whatever is most popular / adventageous at that time.

He definitely is NOT his father.  He is the golden child of the youth of Canada.

It's good to have opinions of those who are not in the United States.

It's an interesting assertion you've made. I don't know much about him, but given what you are saying and knowing how many people I've seen in my circles fawn over the guy as some kind of miracle worker, it's kind of laughable.

I have no doubt that some of it is the compare and contrast with Trump.  There's little doubt that Trudeau wins in the looks and ability to speak department. I guess that further proves that it's not the stuff inside the wrapper that matters, just the wrapper.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/21/2019 at 7:32 AM, New Scotland (NS) said:

He does back the pipeline and has said that he would spend federal $ to have it built.  He, obviously, is trying to appease what little support he has in the West, which is none in Alberta, but fairly strong in BC, where the majority also support the pipeline, IIRC.  Thank goodness you folks south of the boarder have come to their senses about it.  The pipeline is a terrible idea, unless you are in Alberta.  Thank goodness their left-wing (NDP) Premier has stood her ground against it, although she prefers now to transport this terrible grade oil by rail instead, which is a disaster waiting to happen.  There is an election coming pretty soon in Alberta and their one-time experiment with an NDP government certainly appears to be a one-off.

Our illustrious PM was in Halifax for a vigil for the 7 victims of that horrible fire here a few days ago.  He never misses a photo-op, but it was good foe him to come and show support.  The whole city, province and county is reeling.  

Policies and politics aside, Trudeau is Kennedy-esque in his appeal: young, handsome, charming — promising of a different kind of leadership.

@New Scotland (NS), support for the pipeline in BC tends to fade the further one gets away from the Rockies. But your wrong about Alberta's premier, who firmly supports the pipeline. It is our premier (joined by Washington's governor) who is fighting it tooth and nail, and out here on the Island the public sentiment is strongly against.

I'm not sure where where @LGR4GMis getting the idea the pipeline is economically worthless. There are certainly many here who would dispute that utterly.

Nice to be able to contribute in this club. I am interested in your politics but find my knowledge too superficial to feel comfortable contributing.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 2/22/2019 at 12:32 AM, New Scotland (NS) said:

Yeah we had someone like that. She lost twice, once to DJT and once to Bill’s Energizer Bunny.

I have not had time to follow in detail, but it seems that Trudeau has waived his ACP in order to allow his former AG and Minister of Justice to speak before a House of Commons Justice Committee. 

That's pretty big.  The former AG has a retired Supreme Court Justice advising her.  Trudeau has the best lawyers $ can buy, of that I am certain.

I'm making the popcorn now.  This should be good, but then nothing will come of it.

6 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I have not had time to follow in detail, but it seems that Trudeau has waived his ACP in order to allow his former AG and Minister of Justice to speak before a House of Commons Justice Committee. 

That's pretty big.  The former AG has a retired Supreme Court Justice advising her.  Trudeau has the best lawyers $ can buy, of that I am certain.

I'm making the popcorn now.  This should be good, but then nothing will come of it.

The best lawyers tax money can buy.

2 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Isn’t it amazing how our planet would prosper if people weren’t so corrupt. Money and science dedicated to weapons development. Laws enacted to punish the many for the actions of a few. Citizens fighting over propagandist divides.

Indeed. How much farther can people go if they work together?

Well, tug of war shows me how far they don't go when they work against each other.  It's really that simple.

• Like (+1) 2