Injury Updates Okposo Officially Diagnosed with a Concussion; Scandella now Week to Week

Brawndo

I watchef the replay many times. 

KO with bad hit to Zucharelli. 

Zibinajab comes in after KO.  KO knows he has to answer and drops ... no wait, Zibinajab let’s D’Angelo in to drop and skates away. 

KO now facing a heavyweight.  Gets hit square in the jaw/mouth and goes down. Doesn’t look like the second punch lands. 

KO gets up to respond, is dazed, bleeding from the mouth.  KO leaves immediately. 

McCabe taps KO with stick for the effort. No response. Very timid  

No Sabre’s answer as usual.  No answer later or at anytime. This is a soft team.  Someone should have engaged with D’Angelo.  Knowing KO’s history  his teammates should have helped   

I do not like the chemistry on this team.   Never mind fighting.  I don’t think there is a team in this league they can beat in a 7 game series.  They have become weak 

Meanwhile, Beaulieu can’t get on the ice even though he has the grit that we need.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Weave said:

I hadn't put much thought into it, but it seems like Bogo was playing the protector role early in the season.  Now...... after Okposo fought, Bogo's response was sort of, yeah that sucks, oh well.  WHat happened?

It's Bogosian. His toughness is about as consistent as Risto's ability to complete an exit pass. 

1 hour ago, ... said:

Interesting responses on Twitter, but this one echoes perhaps the most important question:

Symptoms often times take a day or several to show. 

Anyway, get well Kyle. With what we know about CTE and what he went through a year ago, it's hard not to be concerned long term whether or not he continues to play. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

A 5'11" 181lb "heavyweight"... yea sure we'll go with that. 

How is giving Okposo a stick tap timid? What is McCabe supposed to do? Go fight DeAngelo? Another example of making excuses for why this team isn't good enough. They aren't talented enough. They don't score enough. They don't defend well. It isn't that a guy who never fights got a shot in the jaw and no one started a line brawl. 

39 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

KO knows he has to answer and drops ... no wait, Zibinajab let’s D’Angelo in to drop and skates away. 

KO now facing a heavyweight.  Gets hit square in the jaw/mouth and goes down. Doesn’t look like the second punch lands. 

McCabe taps KO with stick for the effort. No response. Very timid  

No Sabre’s answer as usual.  No answer later or at anytime. This is a soft team.  Someone should have engaged with D’Angelo.  Knowing KO’s history  his teammates should have helped   

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

How is giving Okposo a stick tap timid? What is McCabe supposed to do? Go fight DeAngelo? Another example of making excuses for why this team isn't good enough. They aren't talented enough. They don't score enough. They don't defend well. It isn't that a guy who never fights got a shot in the jaw and no one started a line brawl. 

You're right, of course, but so is Ink: fans really identity with the pugilists. 

1 hour ago, ... said:

Interesting responses on Twitter, but this one echoes perhaps the most important question:

Not really. Concussions manifest differently in people and over time. You could pass a concussion test today and wake up tomorrow and fail it. 

It took me 5 seconds to google and find this instead of starting wild theories that Doctors don't know what they are doing. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/concussion/symptoms-causes/syc-20355594

The signs and symptoms of a concussion can be subtle and may not show up immediately. 

It's possible to have a concussion and not realize it

11 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

You're right, of course, but so is Ink: fans really identity with the pugilists. 

I think there is something to be said for a response being an indicator of team unity, but I don’t think that it is balck and white though.  Lack of response does happen sometimes on teams with tough, close reputations too.

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Not really. Concussions manifest differently in people and over time. You could pass a concussion test today and wake up tomorrow and fail it. 

It took me 5 seconds to google and find this instead of starting wild theories that Doctors don't know what they are doing. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/concussion/symptoms-causes/syc-20355594

Wouldn't the prudent thing then have been to keep him home?

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

No. The prudent thing is to allow him to go and continue monitoring him. I'm guessing he passed the protocols in place and then started showing symptoms. Then, like magic, the Doctors sent him back to Buffalo... moving on. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ... said:

It’s a subjective test, so it’s easier for players to downplay or outright lie about their symptoms. A player with concussion history would also know to answer questions to pass the test. 

Okposo could have realized after flying to NJ that the symptoms were not improving and realized it is not worth having a repeat of the process of two years ago.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You'd think that the Sabres' doctors, with the video of the hit and KO's behavior afterward, and the same access to Google medical advice as LGR, would have concluded that it was TOO DAMN SOON FOR HIM TO GO.  Maybe I'm asking too much of people in 2019.

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The player can file a grievance with the NHLPA if he feels he is being kept out unfairly. He flew with the team, which is not an increased risk, and he and the Athletic Trainer decided the symptoms warranted more investigation and it would be best for him not to play. Now he is officially out. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The player can file a grievance with the NHLPA if he feels he is being kept out unfairly. He flew with the team, which is not an increased risk, and he and the Athletic Trainer decided the symptoms warranted more investigation and it would be best for him not to play. Now he is officially out. 

Thanks. Is it an old wive's tale that you shouldn't fly with a concussion?

Okposo needs to retire.  He's made a good living.  He shouldn't want to squander what remains for his life.  I like the guy, and I like him as a Sabre (although he's overpaid, he does his job well, c.f. Hecht), and I don't want to see a bad (or short!) life for him.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 7

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I thought DeAngelo was much bigger.  My bad  

Yes, McCabe is supposed to be there to keep a team mate with major concussion problems from fighting a fight he should not have had too. 

I am not making excuses for them not scoring or not defending. I am not making excuses for lack of talent. I am pointing out they are soft.  It’s getting around the league.  Our coach said it  and the next game you have some one shooting pucks in our zine in warmup. Taunting at the red line.  

I stand by my post.  You don’t let your guy get killed with no answer back.  

I

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Is D’Angelo a heavyweight?  If so, there was noone to respond.  Bogo is a pretty tough guy, but he’s not equipped to deal with a real fighter.

My bad. He is not a classic heavy weight fighter of the past.  I thought he was much bigger than KO. 

Bogo doing anything would help.  We were winning when he was playing with an edge.  

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

No. The prudent thing is to allow him to go and continue monitoring him. I'm guessing he passed the protocols in place and then started showing symptoms. Then, like magic, the Doctors sent him back to Buffalo... moving on. 

His mouth was bleeding when he skated off.  He got rocked. 

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I thought DeAngelo was much bigger.  My bad  

Yes, McCabe is supposed to be there to keep a team mate with major concussion problems from fighting a fight he should not have had too. 

I am not making excuses for them not scoring or not defending. I am not making excuses for lack of talent. I am pointing out they are soft.  It’s getting around the league.  Our coach said it  and the next game you have some one shooting pucks in our zine in warmup. Taunting at the red line.  

I stand by my post.  You don’t let your guy get killed with no answer back.  

I

Okposo started the shenanigans. He threw a questionable hit from behind. 

He chose to drop his gloves and be a tough guy when a NY player offered. He caught a lucky bomb to the jaw.

No John Scotts involved.

It was just hockey. I don't think the team needed to do anything different.

Edited by woods-racer
  • Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

He chose to drop his gloves and be a tough guy when a NY player offered. He caught a lucky bomb to the jaw.

No John Scotts involved.

It was just hockey. No need to thing the team needed to do anything different.

Agree that KO threw a questionable hit, I already alluded to that. KO knew the Rangers would respond.   We was tangled up with Zibinajab and then DeAngelo stepped it.  Two Rangers respond and the tougher one did the damage ... that is what a hockey team does.  They would not let the hit go unanswered in some manner  

The Sabres stood around and watched, then they melted for the rest of game and lost another game on home ice, not what I want my team to do.   That is not the kind of hockey I support.  You may not see any problem with their lack of response, that’s “just hockey” to you and that is fine, but do not try to convince me otherwise.  

I get that the days of goons are gone, but this team is morbid.  

Edited by Pimlach

25 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

No John Scotts involved.

It was just hockey. I don't think the team needed to do anything different.

I agree, it was just hockey.

That said, all the Sabre players know KO's history and someone should have stepped in to take that punch somehow.  Yeah, I know that is not really possible in the heat of battle.

I also must say that the Ranger player probably should have not gone with KO once he realised who he was.  I have to think that the players on other teams keep track of concussion history and put on the breaks when they know there is a very likely, or possible, bad result.  I have seen this happen in other similar situations.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.