GDT: Buffalo Sabres at Florida Panthers, 7:09 p.m., February 19, 2019

PASabreFan

55 minutes ago, eman said:

Not buying into this line of thinking anymore. Garbage club. If Phil is still head coach ou will not see any playoffs. Also, seriously, which UFA wants to come here? Why would they? To play with Jack and Rasmus? C'mon, not going to happen. I'll bet you Skinner is dying to get out of here. If Botterill can entice some really difference maker UFA's here then God Bless him, the man is a genius. I can't see it happening. 10 years no playoffs- I can definitely see that happening.

Oh goody this again. 

9 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I wouldn't expect a big step forward next year from Dahlin or Mittelstadt necessarily.  They should progress but suggesting next season will be a key breakthrough season for either is silly.    We need a lot more than 2 additional pieces too.

The entire D needs to be turned over, with exception of Dahlin; but he will need 3-4 years to really hit on all cylinders. 

As someone said upthread, we have like 4, maybe 5 guys you want to build around.  The rest, including HC and GM can be replaced as they are all expendable. 

Maybe its wishful thinking but I see Dahlin with 20 goals next year and Mittlestadt with 55points.

12 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Time to step back and remember this team finished dead last in 18/19. They are about where a majority of fans would expect them coming into the season.

All time pet peeve. THIS TEAM didn't finish dead last last year (17/18). This team has never existed. THIS TEAM added scoring, goaltending, a nice addition in Sheary, and young vets with another year under their belts. And they were first overall well into the season. I'm not up for "things are looking up."

30 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Maybe its wishful thinking but I see Dahlin with 20 goals next year and Mittlestadt with 55points.

Own goals? He's a trainwreck defensively.

(Hope this doesn't look like I'm jumping on Crusader lol)

12 hours ago, jad1 said:

I think the jury's still out on both. Botterill blew his biggest trade and cost the team significant improvement with the O'Reilly deal.  That's a huge negative.  We'll see how things play out with Skinner contract and the trade deadline.

Beane has made some good picks, but there are still massive holes in the roster approaching three years into his tenure.  It took him way too long to figure out the QB position and too long to add speed at WR.  The upcoming FA period and draft is huge, but If during the  season Allen is still running around for his life, things will go south quickly for Beane.

Beane has had 2 drafts so far. After years of trepidation to even take a swing at a QB, Beane came in with a distinct focus on aiming for a franchise QB. NFL team success is strongly slanted towards having a top QB, so taking a swing and (seemingly) finding a good one gives him a lot of leash in my mind. The holes you speak of at WR and O-line were necessarily created in order to take a shot at a Franchise QB. I have faith he will correct those this offseason through the draft and FA - the resources available in one NFL offseason only allows you to fill so many holes, and I feel he prioritized appropriately.

13 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Re: Botterill, what is this based on other than he played a key role in Pittsburgh?

Admittedly, i'm less certain on Botterill than I am Beane, but I think there is something to be said about having a communicated strategy and sticking to it, and not reacting immediately to the ups & downs of a season or the demands of the fanbase.

I'm keeping perspective that the team he acquired was the literal worst team in the league for the last few years, and he has brought the talent level up to one that is in the middle 3rd of the league in terms of points. Similar to my thoughts around the Bills, there are only so many holes that can be filled in one offseason, and Botterill (IMO) correctly identified the major priorities as

a) #1 winger for Jack = Skinner;

b) defensive depth improvement = Pilut, Dahlin and other lesser depth pieces;

c) goaltending = Hutton on a cheap contract + Ullmark up full time -> remember we were all ready to dump Lehner after last year.

In addition, the emphasis on building a winner in Rochester and allowing the prospects to over-develop in the AHL is a sound strategy, even if it means short term frustrations at the NHL level. Yes the rest of the forwards didn't step up this year like it was possible they would, and it does seem the cancer on this team is deeper than originally thought, but I am comfortable giving JBotts some time to wait for the right value move v. reactionary move. I know that doesn't jive with the pitchfork mob that is out right now, but IMO that is what separates the fan's role from the GM role.

• Like (+1) 1

I like JBOT and think he doing a good job.  I understand that fans patience is wearing very thin, at least, and we are ready to riot, at worst.

Not picking on you @Samson's Flow, as you know I am a big fan of all the flows ... ? ... as I have seen it mentioned by others ... to give any credit to JBOT for landing Dahlin is, at best, a stretch.  If anything I could understand more if we as fans would want to be critical of the way he ran the team last year, which lead Dahlin to us having 'luck' in the lotto.

18 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I like JBOT and think he doing a good job.  I understand that fans patience is wearing very thin, at least, and we are ready to riot, at worst.

Not picking on you @Samson's Flow, as you know I am a big fan of all the flows ... ? ... as I have seen it mentioned by others ... to give any credit to JBOT for landing Dahlin is, at best, a stretch.  If anything I could understand more if we as fans would want to be critical of the way he ran the team last year, which lead Dahlin to us having 'luck' in the lotto.

No doubt, but having the #1 pick and being able to draft Dahlin did mean that he didn't need to make another FA move for the defense since we could pencil in Dahlin as a top 6 player right away. It's more guarding against potential criticism of not doing enough to add to the defense, when going into the season he had 8 NHL level players for 6 defense spots (Risto, Bogo, Dahlin, Pilut, McCabe, Scandy, Beaulieu, Nelson... plus Hunwick). 

39 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

No doubt, but having the #1 pick and being able to draft Dahlin did mean that he didn't need to make another FA move for the defense since we could pencil in Dahlin as a top 6 player right away. It's more guarding against potential criticism of not doing enough to add to the defense, when going into the season he had 8 NHL level players for 6 defense spots (Risto, Bogo, Dahlin, Pilut, McCabe, Scandy, Beaulieu, Nelson... plus Hunwick). 

I think you missed a period in there somewhere.  I got winded reading it.

(winkie - winkie)

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

All time pet peeve. THIS TEAM didn't finish dead last last year (17/18). This team has never existed. THIS TEAM added scoring, goaltending, a nice addition in Sheary, and young vets with another year under their belts. And they were first overall well into the season. I'm not up for "things are looking up."

Own goals? He's a trainwreck defensively.

(Hope this doesn't look like I'm jumping on Crusader lol)

not at all. you can be negative, I can't blame you for that. I just choose not to be

4 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

Okposo and Moulson signed here as FAs.

...so what message should other players take from those signings? 

"Buffalo:  Where NHL careers go to die."

"Buffalo:  Abandon all hope ye who enter here."

"Buffalo:  Excellence in, garbage out."

I could go on...

4 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Yeah, I could see it.  I will say that playing the heavy minutes has at least given those two experience to draw on.  I hope to continue to see Reino on Mittelstadt's wing.  I think he could teach him a lot of the positive things Reino's apparently picked up from ROR (remember when that was a thing?)

3 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

Beane has had 2 drafts so far. After years of trepidation to even take a swing at a QB, Beane came in with a distinct focus on aiming for a franchise QB. NFL team success is strongly slanted towards having a top QB, so taking a swing and (seemingly) finding a good one gives him a lot of leash in my mind. The holes you speak of at WR and O-line were necessarily created in order to take a shot at a Franchise QB. I have faith he will correct those this offseason through the draft and FA - the resources available in one NFL offseason only allows you to fill so many holes, and I feel he prioritized appropriately.

That's a major difference between the NHL and the NFL. In the NHL you draft boys you need to develop, in the NFL you draft men that you need to develop. 

4 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

Problem is that the Bills could have drafted their franchise QB the year before and not created the holes they did to draft Allen.  I know Beane wasn't there in 2017, but he and McDemott knew how things were going to play out, so I assume he had some input.

But I agree that Allen looks like the guy.  That's why Beane better protect him this season.  If Allen spends the whole year running for his life, I have no problem if the Bills cut Beane loose.

6 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Dahlin yes, Mittlestadt no way.   Last night he missed an easy tap in from Jack that absolutely has to be executed.  And he whiffed.  He also gave up the puck in his own end for their second goal.  He's struggle defensively all year.  I've argued long and hard that he definitely should have been in Rochester to start the year, but circumstances have required him to stay.  The Sabres will be signing a true #2 Center in the off-season, and probably will develop a checking line that plays #3 minutes - giving Casey a #4 C role.  Protect him as best you can.   But unless there is major growth in size, strength, and skill you can lock him in for 40-45 max.  

6 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

not at all. you can be negative, I can't blame you for that. I just choose not to be

I don't see it as negativity, just facts. Phil hasn't led an x-point in improvement in last year's team. He just hasn't. Same reason Bylsma doesn't get credit for 15-16 vs. 14-15. As for Dahlin, it's not his defensive weaknesses that make a 20-goal season improbable. He doesn't seem to have an NHL shot.

I know this was two games ago, but it seemed to me those three goals in the third were two real soft goals that in my Ullmark and another incredibly unfortunate bad puck luck bounce. 

If those were routine saves by Ullmark and the other was a fluky rebound then I’m not sure how that reflects poorly on the rest of the team. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.