GDT: Buffalo Sabres at Florida Panthers, 7:09 p.m., February 19, 2019

PASabreFan

We were cheated out of two goals and the team effectively imploded after the PP just couldn't get the puck in after the 2nd disallowed goal. 

Eichel wasn't offside as based on multiple other similar cases where what he did was perfectly legal. Last year we had another team do that to us, we challenged and lost because they ruled that him punching the puck and then retouching it inside the zone counted as possession. Yet here the same thing happens and it isn't somehow possession. Its asinine to say the least.

The other goal was disallowed because the ref blew the play dead thinking Reimer had the puck on the delayed call but in actuality Girgs put the puck in off a rebound.

Eichel looking dejected after this game makes sense. He tried to claw them back into the game but was always stifled by some assorted means and has watched the year's playoff chances evaporate.  

3 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

The team will be fine, all we need is a rich owner with deep pockets.... remember that ?

At the time it was said, it was true.  Peca and Hasek we lost during uncapped years.  Drury and Briere we lost due to executive limitations on negotiations and budget.

Having a deep-pocketed owner would have helped there.

It's more difficult to buy a rebuild than to keep a good team together with a wealthy owner.

The biggest area of impact is hiring coaches and GMs.  Pegula struck out with Babcock, but both his GMs have been first-timers.  Maybe he should have spent money on a GM and/or coach with more experience.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

We were cheated out of two goals and the team effectively imploded after the PP just couldn't get the puck in after the 2nd disallowed goal. 

Eichel wasn't offside as based on multiple other similar cases where what he did was perfectly legal. Last year we had another team do that to us, we challenged and lost because they ruled that him punching the puck and then retouching it inside the zone counted as possession. Yet here the same thing happens and it isn't somehow possession. Its asinine to say the least.

The other goal was disallowed because the ref blew the play dead thinking Reimer had the puck on the delayed call but in actuality Girgs put the puck in off a rebound.

Eichel looking dejected after this game makes sense. He tried to claw them back into the game but was always stifled by some assorted means and has watched the year's playoff chances evaporate.  

Eichel was clearly offsides.

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

McCabe said "we won 10 in a row, we can do it again" and they don't give a "*****" what the press thinks ...

They have to win 1, in order to try for 10. They can't even do that right now.

This team is a disaster, not just expectation wise, but the way they play. Score a goal, immediately give a goal back, then sink like a rock. It's happened so often this season.

We are heading fast for a top 5 pick.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, klos1963 said:

Eichel was clearly offsides.

Nope, had he not touched the puck prior to going in then yes. However he was the last player to make a play with the puck, the only player who touched it prior to going in, and was the player to touch it in the zone. I have seen that ruled as possession in other games. Hell I've seen a defenseman sliding on his back, a puck hitting his skate over his line, called "possession" so possession is very subjective.

1 minute ago, jad1 said:

At the time it was said, it was true. 

The biggest area of impact is hiring coaches and GMs.  Pegula struck out with Babcock, but both his GMs have been first-timers.  Maybe he should have spent money on a GM and/or coach with more experience.

Ironically, I think both the Bills and the Sabres have the best GM's they have had since Polian/Regier. I don't know if they lucked into it, but Terry and Kim did pretty good in my book on the GM front

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Nope, had he not touched the puck prior to going in then yes. However he was the last player to make a play with the puck, the only player who touched it prior to going in, and was the player to touch it in the zone. I have seen that ruled as possession in other games. Hell I've seen a defenseman sliding on his back, a puck hitting his skate over his line, called "possession" so possession is very subjective.

It was the right call, even if you've seen other calls that were incorrect. You need to have possession while crossing the line, he clearly did not.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, klos1963 said:

It was the right call, even if you've seen other calls that were incorrect. You need to have possession while crossing the line, he clearly did not.

Its a joke then if there is 0 consistency in what is and isn't possession.

Granted, I'm not surprised, refs will always get the call right/wrong if its against the Sabres. We almost never get a break in terms of reviews going our way.  

12 minutes ago, Nitro60 said:

Eichel was -4

Actually Eichel was -3, Skinner -3, Pommer -3, Risto -3 (as usual), and McCabe -3.  I seriously doubt Jack is the lone problem.

Risto was -21 going into the game, now he sits at -24.  WTF is that!  No other defensemen is even close to that.  The next lowest defensemen is Scandy at -5.   Dahin  is the only one positive at +3  going into the game  --- although Casey Nelson is +6 but has not played at all during the slump, and Beaulieu is at 0 while waiting in purgatory. 

1 minute ago, Samson's Flow said:

Ironically, I think both the Bills and the Sabres have the best GM's they have had since Polian/Regier. I don't know if they lucked into it, but Terry and Kim did pretty good in my book on the GM front

I think the jury's still out on both. Botterill blew his biggest trade and cost the team significant improvement with the O'Reilly deal.  That's a huge negative.  We'll see how things play out with Skinner contract and the trade deadline.

Beane has made some good picks, but there are still massive holes in the roster approaching three years into his tenure.  It took him way too long to figure out the QB position and too long to add speed at WR.  The upcoming FA period and draft is huge, but If during the  season Allen is still running around for his life, things will go south quickly for Beane.

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Actually Eichel was -3, Skinner -3, Pommer -3, Risto -3 (as usual), and McCabe -3.  I seriously doubt Jack is the lone problem.

Risto was -21 going into the game, now he sits at -24.  WTF is that!  No other defensemen is even close to that.  The next lowest defensemen is Scandy at -5.   Dahin  is the only one positive at +3  going into the game  --- although Casey Nelson is +6 but has not played at all during the slump, and Beaulieu is at 0 while waiting in purgatory. 

You said he had a good night.  He did not.   

18 minutes ago, Nitro60 said:

Marty.....honest assessment. 

It was one of the finest monologues, for lack of a better word, I've heard from an analyst. I was sorely wrong about Marty Biron and am glad I was.

17 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Marty talking about coaching effectiveness in the post game...

Hmmm

The opinion that players need to hear the brutal truth and not get sugarcoated praise was a not very veiled dig at Phil.

12 minutes ago, JustOutsideChicago said:

Maybe Botts is scared to make trades after the clown suits put on him for both Kane and O’Reilly

Not a bad thought.

12 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Re: Botterill, what is this based on other than he played a key role in Pittsburgh?

1 minute ago, CallawaySabres said:

Win, lose, trade, don't trade, fire, don't fire......i couldn't care less because none of it works with this loser organization. I mean seriously, the odds of being this bad for so long is nonsensical. Nobody knows the answer and it really sucks.

You have virtually a 50% chance to make the playoffs...now multiply this by what might be ten...how is it even possible.  The Bills and Sabres may go out of this decade with 3 playoff appearances and no wins between them.  That is on a level of odds that is almost impossible.  It is like we make being bad a science.  

13 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Neither was won a thing.  Give then both two more years to judge. 

I am more impressed with Bean than with Boterill.   You can see Bean is finding players and clearing out dead wood.

Botterill has turned the roster twice with the same lousy results.  It takes hockey much longer to develop players but his trades have not been good.  He salvaged a #1 for Kane, who is really worth more.  We got garbage for ROR.  Thompson is a huge defensive liability and has been inconsistent.   Looks like we will get a #1 this year because the Blues are once again looking like a playoff team.   Mittelstat is maybe going to be a #2, maybe not.  Dahlin was a no brainer. 

3 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Win, lose, trade, don't trade, fire, don't fire......i couldn't care less because none of it works with this loser organization. I mean seriously, the odds of being this bad for so long is nonsensical. Nobody knows the answer and it really sucks.

Agreed... The franchise could relocate before it ever sees the postseason again.  There really is no one surefire answer to it all.  Completely illogical to be this bad, this long, and no end in sight

17 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Its a joke then if there is 0 consistency in what is and isn't possession.

Granted, I'm not surprised, refs will always get the call right/wrong if its against the Sabres. We almost never get a break in terms of reviews going our way.  

it's the correct call, you can't claim the refs are unfair when making the correct call.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.