GDT: Buffalo Sabres at Florida Panthers, 7:09 p.m., February 19, 2019

PASabreFan

• SDS pinned this topic

Note that the Sabres are currently on a 67-point season pace since the famous 10-game winning streak ended. That is over a sample size of 33 games and 2.5 months. That is very clearly no longer an aberration, but rather a firmly established trend.

Also note that the Sabres finished with the following point totals for the last 5 years: 62, 78, 81, 54, 52.

So....progress?!

I think even the Pollyanas among the loyal, tortured Sabres fanbase are going to have a hard time getting it up for this Panthers game. The players clearly gave up on themselves. So the fanbase should quickly follow the players' lead.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I would say something about upsetting the hockey gods by starting the GDT 48 hours before the game, but they abandoned the Sabres a long time ago

I feel like the gods really started sharpening their shivs one week before Christmas. The Sabres had won three of four, their lone loss in overtime at Washington, after losing five straight after The Streak. They led the Panthers 2-1 after two at home. Yandle had manhandled Skinner late in the second, and the fans were booing him every time he touched the puck. Of course they were. It's Buffalo. And they were still booing him early in the third when his point shot was deflected in to tie the game. A few minutes later the Panthers took the lead on a penalty shot that Hutton seemingly had stopped, but the puck squeezed through him and into the net. Florida won going away. I don't think Hutton has been the same since. You might say the same about the team.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

I feel like the gods really started sharpening their shivs one week before Christmas. The Sabres had won three of four, their lone loss in overtime at Washington, after losing five straight after The Streak. They led the Panthers 2-1 after two at home. Yandle had manhandles Skinner late in the second, and the fans were booing him every time he touched the puck. Of course they were. It's Buffalo. And they were still booing early in the third when his point shot was deflected in to tie the game. A few minutes later the Panthers took the lead on a penalty shot that Hutton seemingly had stopped, but the puck squeezed through him and into the net. Florida won going away. I don't think Hutton has been the same since. You might say the same about the team.

Since that time, yandle on a 2nd occasion manhandled a sabre and it was let go, I believe there was another serious occasion (Dallas or Minnesota) where we just tucked our tails, we are not playing like a "team" it's been that way since lucic-miller 

3 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

At least the recent losses will continue to lower the ticket prices for the meetup game against the Capitals...

I'll watch Tuesday, but I have zero expectations at this point

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I would say something about upsetting the hockey gods by starting the GDT 48 hours before the game, but they abandoned the Sabres a long time ago

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Meh. It's over. 

I said after the Rangers game we should put the abandon all hope quote in the GDT. If anyone still thinks the GDT inspires hope please read above. BTW I agree with the above posters.

10 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I feel like the gods really started sharpening their shivs one week before Christmas. The Sabres had won three of four, their lone loss in overtime at Washington, after losing five straight after The Streak. They led the Panthers 2-1 after two at home. Yandle had manhandled Skinner late in the second, and the fans were booing him every time he touched the puck. Of course they were. It's Buffalo. And they were still booing him early in the third when his point shot was deflected in to tie the game. A few minutes later the Panthers took the lead on a penalty shot that Hutton seemingly had stopped, but the puck squeezed through him and into the net. Florida won going away. I don't think Hutton has been the same since. You might say the same about the team.

This is a good take on when the season began to unravel and why.

+++++

Thanks for getting us going.

36 hours to game time, which probably will not be enough to energize the fanbase, or the players.

All the players are terrible at playing as a unit.  There are some with exceptional skill at hockey and all are good enough at tit to be playing at the highest professional level.  But, they are not a 'team'.

I agree with @..., it is the players and not the coach.  This coming offseason will be critical for JBOT and the Sabres.

+++++

I think the Sabres will gut out a huge win in Florida, maybe even 2.

MUST WIN!!

GO SABRES!!

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Meh. It's over. 

It wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.  And it's not over now.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
ooopppsssie ... meant 'it'
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This is a good take on when the season began to unravel and why.

+++++

Thanks for getting us going.

36 hours to game time, which probably will not be enough to energize the fanbase, or the players.

All the players are terrible at playing as a unit.  There are some with exceptional skill at hockey and all are good enough at tit to be playing at the highest professional level.  But, they are not a 'team'.

I agree with @..., it is the players and not the coach.  This coming offseason will be critical for JBOT and the Sabres.

+++++

I think the Sabres will gut out a huge win in Florida, maybe even 2.

MUST WIN!!

GO SABRES!!

It wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.  And it's not over now.

Just want to say the bold brought a smile to my face

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Is this a joke? They are actually playing again tonight?! Booooo. I hope they get get destroyed and a MAJOR trade is made to shop out the neccessary losers on this team. Something is so so wrong with this crew....

GDT was started early.  PA will not be denied!  

I gave you a beer. I would’ve given you a Snickers because you speak the truth when you are hungry.

Edited by SABRES 0311

21 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I live here and always go to the games.  I am skipping this one.  Stick a fork in them.  Besides sick of going to that arena and getting laughed at on the way out. 

Sounds like me in St Louis.  Never saw a win in over 20 years.  

This team gets into slumps that are legendary and continue no matter the coach /GM.  

10 hours ago, Berg said:

Philadelphia won 12 of its 15 games, and we still ahead of them. We have every chance to go to the playoffs for the first time in many years. I believe - we can!?‍♂️

Excellent second post.  I hope your correct.  

Did you see our schedule after Florida?

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Sounds like me in St Louis.  Never saw in win in over 20 years.  

This team gets into slumps that are legendary and continue no matter the coach /GM.  

Excellent second post.  I hope your correct.  

Did you see our schedule after Florida?

Yes. I saw it unfortunately. But I also saw how many defeats in Philadelphia were before their series of victories. This is hockey ...

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

Is this a joke? They are actually playing again tonight?! Booooo. I hope they get get destroyed and a MAJOR trade is made to shop out the neccessary losers on this team. Something is so so wrong with this crew....

No one is going to take the "necessary losers" from this team, but they might take the players that kind of keep the team going.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.