GDT - Sabres @ New Jersey - February 17, 2019 - 6:00 PM (EST) - MSG+; MSG-B

Sabres Fan in NS

18 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Only reason other than being a panty waist because he literally avoids contact every chance he gets and at one point right before 2nd NJ goal he came off cussing, thought it was because of the bad play but yeh maybe injury. This fro a guy who once broke another guys jaw in junior during a fight.

He came off cussing because he was checked and held behind the net.  He might be hurt as he Was the only guy from his line to come off.   Mitts change was slow, not Eichels.   Eichel’s line did not exactly play great defense and mitts got in late.  That was goal #2  

Eichel getting a lot of heat on this board.  Like wearing a C is going to make him feared like Ovi and Crosby   He is 22  

Eichs was slow he came out of the far corner slow and slow to the bench even after the hit happened right across from me. Was at the game near Sabres bench and wasnt clear initially he was coming to the bench just glidded. Then swore and raised his stick. Wasnt even-on the bench when goal was scored.

Edited by North Buffalo

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Bogo gives Harrington the skunk eye.

Just took that in myself; good for Harrington!  

Tweaked Bogo a little bit...who never did squat in the game after all his posturing and slashing pre-game.

A guy like Bogo defines the modern NHL; a thorough mediocrity though and through, a total disappointment of a career...but quite content to lose.  He can tell you 36 million different ways why losing isn't so bad.

2 hours ago, Billznut said:

Time for Botterill to open up this roster for business. Almost everyone should be available. Maybe 3-4 players are untouchable. Everyone else can go. He won’t do it though. He’s be admitting his mistakes. Another couple years of no playoffs coming up. 

No way this roster has 3 to 4 untouchables.

I see 2 at most, and even then, I'd trade Eichel for the world, if someone was willing to give us it.

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

What was it they said? new Jersey had given up 17 goals in the last three games I think - and we managed 1. kind of sums up the season. Been our problem from day 1 and the team has not improved from day 1 this year. We have improved zone time and possession this year. We are faster this year. We get lots of shots, but we have absolutely no finish (outside of Skinner) and simply cannot score goals. That and an abysmal powerplay all year means it's over. Mathematically alive, but it's time for JBot to sell sell sell (if anybody wants any of it).

It's been a more entertaining year than last year, but it's over. 

It's been over for a while now, but now it's really over.  Your point is well taken.

Harrington also had Sam going by asking if the Sabres were "toast." Sam gave a WTF expression and repeated the question — "Are we toast?"

Phil might just be secretly pleased by Mike's work. He's probably desperate enough to believe the team could latch onto an "us vs. them" "the world's out to get us" mentality. I mean, what else does the coach have at this point?

58 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

He came off cussing because he was checked and held behind the net.  He might be hurt as he Was the only guy from his line to come off.   Mitts change was slow, not Eichels.   Eichel’s line did not exactly play great defense and mitts got in late.  That was goal #2  

Eichel getting a lot of heat on this board.  Like wearing a C is going to make him feared like Ovi and Crosby   He is 22  

Eichel has been too soft and inconsistent for way too long to get any benefit of the doubt, at least form me.

I'll believe the "injury" report when it's made official and he's being checked into the hospital for a procedure.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Harrington also had Sam going by asking if the Sabres were "toast." Sam gave a WTF expression and repeated the question — "Are we toast?"

Phil might just be secretly pleased by Mike's work. He's probably desperate enough to believe the team could latch onto an "us vs. them" "the world's out to get us" mentality. I mean, what else does the coach have at this point?

I fully support Harrington's line of questioning, the way in which he asked it, and the expectations of an honest response from players.

Buffalo Sabres fans overwhelmingly are not buying the vanilla being sold to them from the "Mr. Pegula" ice cream truck in our neighborhoods and guys like Harrington are asking the real questions, that get real, emotional responses from the players. As it should be, because as a fan, I want to know WTF is going through their heads on the situation as well.

You get paid millions of dollars, just answer the farging questions. After all, as players they may have been here for what? 7 maybe 8 years maximum? Us fans have been here for a life time, we deserve to be looked in the eye and told the truth, after all, we pay the fargin' bills.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just saw the Bogo interview. Started laughing with the stare down. Clearly he interpreted the question correctly as “you guys suck so why do you think you have more than a snow ball’s chance in hell?”

Answer: “I believe in the character of every guy in the room.” No doubt he feels the sting of lying on that one. His confrontation during the answer makes me think he thought of something to stick it to him. What better way than to speak blasphemy in saying every guy has character. 

Maybe he meant caricature.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

No way this roster has 3 to 4 untouchables.

I see 2 at most, and even then, I'd trade Eichel for the world, if someone was willing to give us it.

I happen to agree with this. I was looking at Vancouver's roster this evening. I'd trade Jack for a couple of their pieces to be sure. Same can be said for a half dozen teams or so.

Botterill won't do it, your correct. Jack is someone he sees to build around, and that to is correct. The only problem is, outside of Skinner, he's not done a good job of it, at least, this season. I'll give him the 1st season to start to reshape the roster and look to build from there, and even if they don't make the playoffs, I would have liked to have seen team identity taking shape. A compete level, a desire to win and a coaching staff with a strategy in place to utilize the players strengths to achieve those goals. I'm not seeing that. Instead what I am seeing, is a team that since the 10 game win streak, has looked lost, even in some of the most basic fundamentals of the game.

Take passing for example, they are terrible at it. They often miss the mark. Or physically challenging opponents with drive, grit and determination both in the defensive as well as offensive zones. They appear to give the neutral zone and upper slot area in the D zone willingly, backing up with an occasional stick check, but never taking the body. That's a problem, a big problem to be sure. Then there is the offensive zone perimeter play, with no one big enough to engage in the slot, or those that do have the size (Girgensons, Thompson) unwilling to go to that area. The net front presence in the defensive zone, their inability to clear the net, is a major problem. The offensive net front presence in nearly non-existent save for Reinhart (Reinhart by the way is the one player I've been able to stomach lately outside of Skinner).

And the list goes on I am sure. Like I said, no identity, that's a major issue. Botterill needs to get some beef and speed in here, along with a couple of competent defensemen imho.

Counted a least 5 for all purposes rookies playing tonight... Casey, Rasmus, CJ, Lawrence and Tage.  As much as I was excited with the start they had to the beginning of the season, their inexperience is showing... Jack, Sam and Erod are still very young and the D is not used to winning.  Team still needs some pieces and to gain some maturity.   Add in a couple young guns next year and they still will be very young... Top 10 at this rate draft pick, probably Borgen comes up, who knows with Ghule and Oloffson... that is ath least three more young guys.  As frustrating as this is and yes they are probably toast this year, once they start to gel it will be fun... til then oof...

1 minute ago, Berg said:

We have a team that was the first in the first half of the season and won 10 games in a row, and you want to sell everyone? We need a couple of good purchases, the team needs experience...

Welcome!!

I am just venting about the lack of effort by the players who have clearly given up on the season and themselves.  That said, the first half was not a true reflection, but it did show what can happen if the players give better effort and lady luck smiles on them.

Sent you a beer.

• Thanks (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Berg said:

We have a team that was the first in the first half of the season and won 10 games in a row, and you want to sell everyone? We need a couple of good purchases, the team needs experience...

Experience may be exaclty what this team needs.  We’ve put too much on a bunch of guys that haven’t been there before.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Welcome!!

I am just venting about the lack of effort by the players who have clearly given up on the season and themselves.  That said, the first half was not a true reflection, but it did show what can happen if the players give better effort and lady luck smiles on them.

Sent you a beer.

I agree with this. Thanks for the beer?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Berg said:

Ah heck... sell, sell... selll.  Hears voice from the bedroom from child... "Mom... Dad is at it again..."

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.