GDT - Sabres @ New Jersey - February 17, 2019 - 6:00 PM (EST) - MSG+; MSG-B

Sabres Fan in NS

I didn’t even think about how we have meaningful games in February. Thanks for getting us started. PA mentioned in the last GDT we should let him do it even if he can’t at the stroke of midnight. I don’t think he’ll mind though.

Let’s do this Leeeroooy Jeeeenkiiins!!!

74F8ED6D-3D92-4D25-87A0-873C25DA7A32.jpeg

Edited by SABRES 0311

NS, you're forgetting 2016-17. The Sabres were three points out on this date. There's a certain narrative that the Sabres franchise is in a place right now that it hasn't been, and that the players will benefit from finally having this experience, and that the franchise is on the rise. I hate to urinate in Buffalo's own cereal, but the Sabres are kind of bobbing in the Buffalo River, often plunging to the bottom and occasionally making their way toward the surface. Of course, that wouldn't be bobbing, but I'm going with it.

Edited by PASabreFan

It's easy to get down on squandering that 10 game win streak from back in November, especially after that collapse on Friday night.

However if you told me before the season started we'd be in the Wild Card race, I'd be really happy. I think Buffalo sports fans thrive on being miserable and complaining about their teams. It's about all we have some seasons. But not this season. At least not yet...

We may make the playoffs. We may not. But at least we still have a shot. As NS said, it's been at least 5 years since we had a meaningful game this late in the season. I'm going to enjoy it and hope for the best.

I think this is a team moving in the right direction even if  not as fast as we'd like because we're all sick of waiting for "next season". Rochester is also looking better too, so hopefully that means we'll finally have a proper pipeline of new talent in the coming years. It's easy to be a fan when your team wins all the time. Buffalo fans know what it means to be a die-hard. I'm going to send them positive vibes...

We've been saying it all season, but as the number of remaining games continue to dwindle it because more and more important: MUST WIN!

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

I hate to urinate in Buffalo's own cereal, but the Sabres are kind of bobbing in the Buffalo River, often plunging to the bottom and occasionally making its way toward the surface.

I don't know you, so I may be generalizing, but In my experience Buffalo fans LOVE to urinate in Buffalo's own cereal. It's easier than holding out hope we might win and let ourselves be disappointed. Again. Better to just expect the worst so you won't be let down because you expected it all along..

5 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

I don't know you, so I may be generalizing, but In my experience Buffalo fans LOVE to urinate in Buffalo's own cereal. It's easier than holding out hope we might win and let ourselves be disappointed. Again. Better to just expect the worst so you won't be let down because you expected it all along..

Well, sure. The expression wasn't even apt. There are no Cheerios to piss in. It's not true that the Sabres have broken through some barrier to finally play in meaningful February games again. I pissed in generic Raisin Bran.

10 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

That's a fair assessment. Not directing that at PA, but BFLO sports in general. The Sabres could win the Cup and BFLO fans would bitch how they did it. 

• Like (+1) 2

The last GDTs started by Doohickie, NS and 0311 we lost/and-or got smoked. Now an NS one backed by 0311. We're doomed. Stop the madness, win a freaking game boys.

LETS GO BUFFALO

Edited by jsb
Feeling guilty about picking on the chicken man
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

That's a fair assessment. Not directing that at PA, but BFLO sports in general. The Sabres could win the Cup and BFLO fans would bitch how they did it. 

You obviously never experienced 4 Super Bowl runs, Hasek, or the run that ended in Carolina.  Noone was bitching.  The excitement was through the roof.  Buffalo is cynical because we've watched it all get torn down with no semblance of near term hope that it will be as good as it used to me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Weave said:

You obviously never experienced 4 Super Bowl runs, Hasek, or the run that ended in Carolina.  Noone was bitching.  The excitement was through the roof.  Buffalo is cynical because we've watched it all get torn down with no semblance of near term hope that it will be as good as it used to me.

Yeah, the signs of that were there last year when the Bills finally made the playoffs and fans came out in droves to welcome them home from Jacksonville even though they had lost. This town is itching for ANYTHING to cheer for. That doesn't mean he's entirely wrong though. I was pretty young back in the four superbowl years, but there was A LOT of bitching in my experience. It was just drown out by those who looked forward to next season because most fans (rightly) believed we could do it again next year. And that I think is the real difference. There is no belief anymore, just doubts.

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

I was around for all the Super Bowls.

I think the Buffalo sports scene has changed a lot since then. I'm not criticizing BFLO fans, after this latest run the last several years by the Sabres, and the Bills being a laughing stock for two decades, I can't blame anybody. 

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

I should reword what I said. Most would be more than happy just to get to a playoff game. But, there would be too many who would find something to bitch about. 

23 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I was around for all the Super Bowls.

I think the Buffalo sports scene has changed a lot since then. I'm not criticizing BFLO fans, after this latest run the last several years by the Sabres, and the Bills being a laughing stock for two decades, I can't blame anybody. 

Of course the scene has changed.  How long has it been?  That will change a fanbase.

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

... like other Sabres fans.

Boom!

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Of course the scene has changed.  How long has it been?  That will change a fanbase.

Boom!

Didn't I just say that?

Nevermind, I'm dropping this right now. This is a GDT. Sorry I even said anything. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

The whole thing wrong with thinking that we are in the wild-card race is that they have not been playing good hockey in 2019. The issue I have is that the only reason they are here is a lucky 10 game win streak. This team is getting worse and that is why the line of thought of .......if you had told me before the season, they were close to 8th in Feb etc etc etc...does not fit.

Carolina and Flyers fans are the ones that should he hopeful, not the fans of a team going backwards as the season goes on. I am hoping this thought changes come October...

7 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Would we be more optimistic if we had the same record but the 10 game steak wasn't a streak and the wins we're distributed throughout the season?

Of course.

1 hour ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Not necessarily. Did they need overtime to clinch it after blowing a two-goal lead in the third?

It's all good.  Let's see something tonight.  

Sadly I am back to being entertained by the trade chatter. I'm looking forward to that deadline more than anything else right now. While I hope for the Sabres to win, I'm not discouraged by their losing. I'd like to see a bit more out of them, but it is what it is..

Let's Go Buffalo...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SabresBaltimore said:

However if you told me before the season started we'd be in the Wild Card race, I'd be really happy.

I'm in this camp...... there's a part of me that keeps waiting for better performances, and there's another part that realizes we just don't have the horses. Yet.

No reason why we can't win this one though............. Go Sabres. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.