Mr. Eichel, is he captain material?

Wyldnwoody44

7 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Bogo is your captain.

I am not so sure.  Yes he got into 2 fights in November when things were great.  What about now?  

Where has be been?   Skinner got banged up against the panthers twice and then again against the Wild.  Pilut and Dahlin got blasted no response.  Reinhardt got blasted no response.     

Last night Okposso got leveled.  No one responded.  Yes, you can say it was a fair fight, and it was,  but Okposdo got smeared.  If he  was a Bruin and got pummeled like that there would have been more fireworks afterwards. 

Bogo gets an A, it’s deserved, when healthy he is an asset, but he is not the captain.   

8 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Bogo is your captain.

7 hours ago, inkman said:

Can we stop confusing captain with leader?

Sabres have quite a few young guys who might follow Jack. If I’m an older guy on the team there is no way. He’s lazy defensively, makes stupid decisions between pass and shoot, and checks out in some instances. At 10mil a year the excuses for his age and time in league should not happen. If the excuses are true then maybe he shouldn’t get 10mil a year.

A lot of people look at his stats and say how good they are and what he is on pace for. Some might think Skinner is having a great year because he is on Jack’s wing. I’m starting to think Jack is the beneficiary of a winger who can actually finish and skate.

Bogo is who I want as Captain. Dependable but not without his own faults. Willing to drop them when necessary, actually hits, doesn’t mail it in. Has a history of injuries but doesn’t give up.

Jack is talented, but he’s a panzy at times.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Weave said:

Gilbert wasn't captain until very late in his career when the team was not very good, and he got the C because he was a long serving vet.  #11 was the best skater to ever where a Sabres sweater but was not captain material.

I've had my reservations about Jack ever since he gave up on a season and lamented the lost bonus money because of it.  He could certainly mature into a good captain, but he's not there yet.  Not unlike Gilbert.

You know I looked up the dates and I had totally forgotten Danny Gare was captain for a while. Schoeny I remembered, but forgot the C was with Gare for a while. That's a funny thing though, and it tells you a little on how much things have changed over the years. Can you imagine the scandal of a player like Gare today? I mean the guy had a van parked at the Aud he called the "shaggin' wagon"  for him and his post game puck bunnies and in those days it was just the way it was. Captain material :)

Schoney was a good captain, and maybe one day it'll be Dahlin, but for now it's Jack.

making me think about old time hockey now. Time for youtube. This never gets tiring even after all these years:

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 hours ago, realtruelove said:

I would argue that the Sabres are rudderless and lack a true consistent leader.

You need more than one leader.  Want good internal leadership?  Get players that are self motivating.  Then you will see several leaders emerge. 

Expecting any more from a 22 year old is not realistic. Eichel is not the problem.  Most of the senior vets on this team can barely pull their own weight.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

If Eichel had half the drive of E-Rod he would be the second best player in the league. I’m tired of seeing him lollygag up and down the ice and have a visable “woe is me” attitude. He’s not a leader, he’s a selfish player. 

Edited by IrwinNelson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IrwinNelson said:

If Eichel had half the drive of E-Rod he would be the second best player in the league. I’m tired of seeing him lollygag up and down the ice and have a visable “woe is me” attitude. He’s not a leader, he’s a selfish player. 

The arguing after getting tossed has to stop.

21 minutes ago, IrwinNelson said:

You know, they said this about Perreault. They said this about Turgeon. They said this about Mogilny. It's a Buffalo thing. 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

They weren;t wrong.

I know. That's my point. It's a thing Buffalo fans grumble about but always accept. You never see a "soft" team in Boston. Fans won't accept that. 

It won't change here either. Pitt was soft too. They won some cups despite that (with a good power play) but the years they got beat out it was to tougher teams (Giroux slaughtering Crosby the one year, Boston shutting them down totally another as two examples). We're building a soft team but it's a softer league so it MIGHT work this time, but not unless we develop a killer power play.

Because of the hype and duration of the Eichel/McDavid race to the bottom, and the way in which we threw away a season to get one or the othe, and in fact did get one, Sabres fans tend to view Eichel as some type of franchise defining Messiah.

I think people assume he should automatically be another Mark Messier. 

The problem is he's not Mark Messier.  He's not even Sidney Crosby or Auston Matthews.

He's more of a Jason Spezza.  Maybe Jamie Benn.  Hell of a nice player, but he's not going to put a franchise on his back and carry it to multiple Cup victories.  He is just not that guy.

For that reason, if we could find a trade partner willing to give us the world for him, I'd do the deal.

Throw some Eichel jerseys on the ice and maybe management will get the idea. 

Or put some electrical tape over the C on your Eichel jerseys and proudly wear it at home games.

Other than not buying tickets the fans have to make statements that get people’s attention. 

Edited by SABRES 0311
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.