GDT: NY Rangers @ Buffalo Sabres, 2/15/2019 @ 7:00 PM ET

Doohickie

1 minute ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Maybe... but they had the benefit of grabbing players that fit a system and were hard workers... I don't think we have enough of them... we will need 1. Smart front office moves 2. Some luck 

They need to adopt the attitude that no one is safe.  The guys on WGR just made the point: the same players who go back to Bylsma need to be gone.  Some of these players are the constant.  The TYPE of players that these players are is a constant.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Carmel Corn said:

I wish HCPH would have called out his team for being soft, etc. 15 or 20 games or so.  It may not have changed the results, but still would like to see him make his players more accountable publicly.  I know I am old-fashioned, but sometimes you need a "whip" vs. a "carrot".

I think Phil is smarter than a lot of people give him credit for.  He knows what kind of people he's dealing with.  Until now, calling them out wouldn't have been prudent IMHO.

Just now, ... said:

They need to adopt the attitude that no one is safe.  The guys on WGR just made the point: the same players who go back to Bylsma need to be gone.  Some of these players are the constant.  The TYPE of players that these players are is a constant.

We will see some surprises I think. 

6 minutes ago, ... said:

I think Phil is smarter than a lot of people give him credit for.  He knows what kind of people he's dealing with.  Until now, calling them out wouldn't have been prudent IMHO.

Hard to know one way or the other, but I think the team playing "soft" is not something new that just happened for the first time tonight.  With a few game exceptions here and there, I feel that's how they've played (soft) for the majority of the last 15-20 games.  No team fears playing the Sabres and if they can keep Eichel and Skinner in check, they have a 90% chance of winning.

Edited by Carmel Corn

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

Hard to know one way or the other, but I don't think the team playing "soft" is something new that just happened for the first time tonight.  With a few game exceptions here and there, I feel that's how they've played (soft) for the majority of the last 15-20 games.  No team fears playing the Sabres and if they can keep Eichel and Skinner in check, they have a 90% chance of winning.

The team PLAYS soft because the PLAYERS ARE SOFT.  Phil can't change that.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, ... said:

That’s the nightmare scenario right... one where you’ve changed every part, turned over every player, and after 11 years it turns out it was him all along.

9 minutes ago, ... said:

His in game tactics seriously strain the credulity of that statement.

vlad Sobotka was on the ice down by a goal with 4 minutes left. Like the only way that’s acceptable is if 3 forwards are in the lockerroom with injuries.

Edited by jame

4 minutes ago, jame said:

That’s the nightmare scenario right... one where you’ve changed every part, turned over every player, and after 11 years it turns out it was him all along.

Depends on the "him" you're referring to. Which him is him?  Because you may be correct, depending.

5 minutes ago, jame said:

His in game tactics seriously strain the credulity of that statement.

vlad Sobotka was on the ice down by a goal with 4 minutes left. Like the only way that’s acceptable is if 3 forwards are in the lockerroom with injuries.

I don't know.  Without saying "nothing", what is Sobotka good at statistically?  

1 minute ago, ... said:

The team PLAYS soft because the PLAYERS ARE SOFT.  Phil can't change that.

Yes, we can agree the roster is full of SOFT players and that is GMJB's responsibility.  That being said, there are several players who have shown (albeit too rarely) that they can dish out a little punishment.  I am thinking players like McCabe, BOGO and maybe a couple forwards have shown an ability to be more physical and finish checks.  I don't think it is unreasonable for HCPH to expect this and demand it more often.

Going back to the 10-game streak, just as much as it proved the players are capable of pulling out wins from behind, hanging on to win a one-goal game, it also proved that Phil could manage a game enough to make those things happen.

Yes, we can agree the roster is full of SOFT players and that is GMJB's responsibility.  That being said, there are several players who have shown (albeit too rarely) that they can dish out a little punishment.  I am thinking players like McCabe, BOGO and maybe a couple forwards have shown an ability to be more physical and finish checks.  I don't think it is unreasonable for HCPH to expect this and demand it more often.

Right. I'm sure he does make those demands.  He says he does after every loss. 

Tell me what you think about this. During the off-season focus on restructuring the defense. Tinker a little with the forwards but mostly leave them and the goalies alone. 

Fix one part of the team at a time and see if that’s all it takes. If not at least you have tackled one issue and can focus on something else. Moving a piece or two from different sections I would think makes it difficult to identify the problem.

This would likely add more time to the rebuild but it’s not like it hasn’t take some time already.

24 minutes ago, ... said:

I like to point to Vegas as an example of getting the roster recipe correct.  It can happen in a season.

Vegas situation is different.  Starting with 0$ against the cap, then were picking player in an uncompetitive environment.  They even benefited from trades for not taking exposed players. 

1 minute ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Tell me what you think about this. During the off-season focus on restructuring the defense. Tinker a little with the forwards but mostly leave them and the goalies alone. 

Fix one part of the team at a time and see if that’s all it takes. If not at least you have tackled one issue and can focus on something else. Moving a piece or two from different sections I would think makes it difficult to identify the problem.

This would likely add more time to the rebuild but it’s not like it hasn’t take some time already.

This is where I am at with JBot: he should know by now which players need to be jettisoned.  Obviously, whether he can get rid of them or not is a different matter.

Also, I think you're right on the goalies.  I think our goalies are actually fine players, both of them.  Their numbers would be stellar if the team in front of them were predictably supportive.

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Vegas situation is different.  Starting with 0$ against the cap, then were picking player in an uncompetitive environment.  They even benefited from trades for not taking exposed players. 

Doesn't matter how they acquired the players.  We know they had it easy.  The only point is that you CAN assemble a roster effectively over-night and have it work.

3 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Understand your approach, but I would rather see them start with the forwards and work backwards.  Figure out how to swap in some pieces that can forecheck and win battles along the boards.  I'd like to see some new faces that love to hit and finish checks.  I think we need more forwards like this to not only make the playoffs, but succeed in them.

Understand your approach, but I would rather see them start with the forwards and work backwards.  Figure out how to swap in some pieces that can forecheck and win battles along the boards.  I'd like to see some new faces that love to hit and finish checks.  I think we need more forwards like this to not only make the playoffs, but succeed in them.

Hey we can do that too. Get rid of the fems up front and maybe the new guys help the defense.

1 hour ago, ... said:

Doesn't matter how they acquired the players.  We know they had it easy.  The only point is that you CAN assemble a roster effectively over-night and have it work.

It’s the over night part that I disagree with.  

We we need a bunch a middle 6 forwards that provide some scoring and play with grit and compete. 

We need a few defensemen.  

We need a real #1 goalie. 

Sure, we can acquire a few pieces and make the playoff next year.  But look at Tampa,   We have at least few years to get to that. 

Edited by Pimlach

1 minute ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I was not depressed by the tank.  I embraced it. But it is depressing 4 years later we have not progressed.  I was hoping after we drafted Jack within 4-5 years we could be contenders.  We have not made any progress and seem stuck in perpetual mediocrity.   

To me, it's like we're still paying the price for a failed GMTM reign.  His "win now" approach with trades and bad FA contracts has failed and we lost considerable draft capital in the process.  The picks we kept have not been overwhelming (ex. Nylander).  Enter GMJB now and his approach requires more time and patience....leaving us with a soft and mediocre team while his prospects still develop.  I fear we are still a few years away from being a true contender and we may also have a question mark on HC too.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.