GDT: NY Rangers @ Buffalo Sabres, 2/15/2019 @ 7:00 PM ET

Doohickie

24 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

To me, it's like we're still paying the price for a failed GMTM reign.  His "win now" approach with trades and bad FA contracts has failed and we lost considerable draft capital in the process.  The picks we kept have not been overwhelming (ex. Nylander).  Enter GMJB now and his approach requires more time and patience....leaving us with a soft and mediocre team while his prospects still develop.  I fear we are still a few years away from being a true contender and we may also have a question mark on HC too.

a few years?  I f we sweep in 3 first round picks this year... and have to develop them...that is more like 3-4 years IF they work out 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

a few years?  I f we sweep in 3 first round picks this year... and have to develop them...that is more like 3-4 years IF they work out 

I doubt all 3 will be hits vs. misses.  However, I don't think GMJB's strategy is solely depending on picks either.  I'd like to think he'll do more trades and maybe FA signings to improve more quickly, just hopefully less reckless than GMTM was.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Removing those names from this team will not make a meaningful difference.

I beg to differ....addition by subtraction for KO, MS and Sobotka.  Jury may still be out on Nylander and Guhle.  Bealieu is gone no matter what anyway.  Zemgus can stay if the price tag is reasonable.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Scandella, Sobotka, Okposo, Nylander, Ghule, Beaulieu, Girgensons 

Except Gigensons though agree to many meh guys or flawed guys...  In addition Sabres need some heavy guys a la Ferland types... that can score... guys that have Larry's grit with Skinner's hands... tired of Eichel's fly bys

Nylander can take a hit from what I have seen..  he needs to learn to create and give hits too didn't see it in the two AHL games I saw him play.  Sabres needs some guys with some nasty... like EROD tonight with size.

Just saw the high (low) lights.... And I know it's not the whole game, but is #9 really as lazy as he looked, especially On D?! I'm not really a fan of this year's Jack Eichel, he's offensively selfish and is a very non-engaged player.... Dude has the raw talent to be talked about with the likes of the Crosbys and etc, but he just doesn't get there. Point totals be damned, I want my captain to not do stick fling drive bys, actually backcheck and not only turn on the wheels when there's a chance for him to score. 

Otherwise, I'm happy I missed this game it appears, games like this, at this point in the season make it evidently clear they are not playoff contenders, as for all the talk about meaningful games in March, I'm not so sure we're gonna get those. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Except Gigensons though agree to many meh guys or flawed guys...  In addition Sabres need some heavy guys a la Ferland types... that can score... guys that have Larry's grit with Skinner's hands... tired of Eichel's fly bys

Nylander can take a hit from what I have seen..  he needs to learn to create and give hits too didn't see it in the two AHL games I saw him play.  Sabres needs some guys with some nasty... like EROD tonight with size.

Yes I too want some players who can occasionally score, finish checks and play hard. 

27 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Just saw the high (low) lights.... And I know it's not the whole game, but is #9 really as lazy as he looked, especially On D?! I'm not really a fan of this year's Jack Eichel, he's offensively selfish and is a very non-engaged player.... Dude has the raw talent to be talked about with the likes of the Crosbys and etc, but he just doesn't get there. Point totals be damned, I want my captain to not do stick fling drive bys, actually backcheck and not only turn on the wheels when there's a chance for him to score. 

Otherwise, I'm happy I missed this game it appears, games like this, at this point in the season make it evidently clear they are not playoff contenders, as for all the talk about meaningful games in March, I'm not so sure we're gonna get those. 

Maybe he’s trying to model his game after Ovechkin. Problem is he is not the scorer Ovechkin is.

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Yea i logged out and closed the game i think 5 mins into 2nd period, it was so obvious that they would lose.

This team is in a really bad spot, there is no confidence in this team at all. Boston and Carolina won their games to, and i can pretty comfortably say that this team is now officially off the playoffs. There is no way in h3ll we reach playoffs with this garbage team. 

Linus was really  bad to and that didnt help. Im gonna take a break from the games, this team has lost their heart, and i for sure wont spend my hours getting up in the middle of the night to watch this pathetic team play. Been doing it for years now, time for a pleasant break.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

To me, it's like we're still paying the price for a failed GMTM reign.  His "win now" approach with trades and bad FA contracts has failed and we lost considerable draft capital in the process.  The picks we kept have not been overwhelming (ex. Nylander).  Enter GMJB now and his approach requires more time and patience....leaving us with a soft and mediocre team while his prospects still develop.  I fear we are still a few years away from being a true contender and we may also have a question mark on HC too.

I will continue to do it modo. Can't help it. Have to ask myself why though?

11 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Just watched the game.... Oh dear. This was bad. What is the answer though? Answers on a postcard please.

I’ve said it before and I’m almost certain I will get carpet bombed. Here goes. Target Tom Wilson for acquisition or someone like him. Tough guy who can score and finishes hits (even when he shouldn’t). Put him on the second line with Sam and Mitts. 

Go after a defensive minded forward who is good enough to play on the third line with ERod and TT so he doesn’t get relegated to the fourth line.

Bring up Olofsson. First line and move Pommers to the fourth with Girgs and Larry.

This makes Sheary and Sobotka expendable.

This is only my quick answer. I have not done any analysis or math or advanced stats or witch craft to determine how to get Wilson or who the other acquisition would be. I have not taken into account locker room presence affect or anything else which may lead to a life altering decision or argument to prove I am wrong and unworthy of posting. I also have not taken into account the sensitivities of other people and their friendships with other posters so if my tone is hurting someone’s feelings it is a casualty of free thought.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I've said it before and I’m almost certain I will get carpet bombed. Here goes. Target Tom Wilson for acquisition or someone like him. 

Don't disagree with that (the acquisition, not the carpet bombing). We need someone who can intimidate opponents imo.

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I’ve said it before and I’m almost certain I will get carpet bombed. Here goes. Target Tom Wilson for acquisition or someone like him. Tough guy who can score and finishes hits (even when he shouldn’t). Put him on the second line with Sam and Mitts. 

Go after a defensive minded forward who is good enough to play on the third line with ERod and TT so he doesn’t get relegated to the fourth line.

Bring up Olofsson. First line and move Pommers to the fourth with Girgs and Larry.

This makes Sheary and Sobotka expendable.

This is only my quick answer. I have not done any analysis or math or advanced stats or witch craft to determine how to get Wilson or who the other acquisition would be. I have not taken into account locker room presence affect or anything else which may lead to a life altering decision or argument to prove I am wrong and unworthy of posting. I also have not taken into account the sensitivities of other people and their friendships with other posters so if my tone is hurting someone’s feelings it is a casualty of free thought.

There’s pretty much no one else like Tom Wilson and the Capitals would never trade him.

I agree, Tom Wilson is a major difference maker

Edited by jame

40 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

It's ironic, Housley calling his team soft. I'm not sure Housley would approve of having somebody like Wilson around. 

It would seem the guys he does approve of aren’t getting the job done. Simple solution is remove Housley and add some masculinity to the team.

I know I know, Housley isn’t going anywhere. Just want to publically acknowledge that before five people remind me.

Edit: Not a jab at you JJ.

Edited by SABRES 0311
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

It would seem the guys he does approve of aren’t getting the job done. Simple solution is remove Housley and add some masculinity to the team.

I know I know, Housley isn’t going anywhere. Just want to publically acknowledge that before five people remind me.

A agree. A team is usually a reflection of their coach. Back in the day when there were only one or two assistants, the head coach needed to be involved more. Nowadays with 12 assistants behind the bench and another ten upstairs, the head coach needs to be a cheerleader. Housley is not a cheerleader, he is a teacher. 

• Like (+1) 1

Cj Smith is better than Zemgus. If Smith hadn't been anchored with Sobotka he might have had a chance last night. Some real nice little plays from him and constant hustle. 

We need to cut some more fat from this roster. We need smarter players. I watched Risto skate passed a Washington forward and then do that stupid drop pass right to that Washington forward. How dumb can you be? This team needs a swift kick to the face. 

That said, Okposo. Man I hope he is okay. I have never been more scared watching a fight in my life. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Well,

I dare you to come to my northern swedish lakehouse and have a beer with me, fair enough ?

Okay I know better than to bet for or against the Sabres so my bad.

I won't really consider it a loss if I get to have a beer there from the pictures I have seen.

Will provide plenty of notice around when this trip may be happening.   

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.