GDT: NY Rangers @ Buffalo Sabres, 2/15/2019 @ 7:00 PM ET

Doohickie

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This is two sides of the same coin. If fact it's saying the exact same thing dude.

We are talking the difference between a player being in the lineup, or not being in the lineup. 

It’s really not. One is a presumption (Sabres would be really bad without Eichel), the other is a fact (the Bruins are really good with Bergeron).

By the way, Bergeron missed some time this year... he’s playing at a 40 goal /106 point pace at 41 games this year.

Edited by jame

10 minutes ago, jame said:

It’s really not. One is a presumption (Sabres would be really bad without Eichel), the other is a fact (the Bruins are really good with Bergeron).

Of course the whole thing is a hypothetical, presumption. We can't begin to understand the full value a player brings to a team, if we don't try to understand what that team would be without said player. The Bruins are also really good with Krejci. 

This is logic 101. 

I disagree with PA on this almost entirely, but at least his posts on the matter aren't full of logical fallacies. You aren't presenting the winning arguments you think you are, they are riddled with contradictions. You contradict YOURSELF so often that you find a ton of posters jumping on you.

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Happens every night in just about every game.  

Yep.  Roy was a master at it, too.

(OTOH, I do claim this:  Semin (Caps) was called for diving a few seasons ago, at the Arena.  I screamed out, "Semin, you're a swimmer, not a diver!")  It is perhaps my greatest moment.  It is a sad life.

• Haha (+1) 2

Now, something to remember is that the refs are now learning that Skinner played them. We've got to score on our power play immediately, because human nature says they'll try to find an immediate fault with us to negate the mistake... or the Rangers will get their own PP at the next trivial opportunity. Get the puck, enter the zone, pass, and score, and do it efficiently. No disintigrations and no mucking around in the corner where they'll call us for some phantom holding.

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Of course the whole thing is a hypothetical, presumption. We can't begin to understand the value a player brings to a team, if we don't try to understand what they team would be without said player.

This is logic 101. 

Lol logic 101 isn’t just making stuff up.

Seriously, you’re argument is that Matt Duchene is an MVP candidate...

Edited by jame

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Now, something to remember is that the refs are now learning that Skinner played them. We've got to score on our power play immediately, because human nature says they'll try to find an immediate fault with us to negate the mistake... or the Rangers will get their own PP at the next trivial opportunity. Get the puck, enter the zone, pass, and score, and do it efficiently. No disintigrations and no mucking around in the corner where they'll call us for some phantom holding.

If the refs don't watch the replay board, which they are not supposed to do, then there should be no problem.  Yes I am naive.

Edited by Tondas

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

So pretty much your advice is to “let the force flow through you”? Am I reading this right?

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Said the priest to Galileo.  I'm sure logic seems like wizardry to you, but that's only because it's so incredibly foreign to you.

Here’s your argument exposed:

Echel 1.15 points per game

Duchene 1.13 points per game

imagine how bad Ottawa would be without Duchene, therfore Duchen is an MVP candidate

6 minutes ago, jame said:

Ouch. So I've already got your down to your 'B" argument, I see..how many you got?

Duchene isn't even leading HIS OWN TEAM in points production. 

Again, you are out to lunch.

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Ouch. So I've already got your down to your 'B" argument, I see..how many you got?

Duchene isn't even leading HIS OWN TEAM in points production. 

Again, you are out to lunch.

Yea I could go A-Z on arguments that counter your “eichel is an mvp candidate because it feels right” argument

5 minutes ago, jame said:

imagine how bad Ottawa would be without Duchene, therfore Duchen is an MVP candidate

The Hart trophy is value relative to their team. Do you know this?

In a hypothetical scenario where a team has two 100 point players, and another team has a 80 point guy and the next closest has 40, I'm giving the Hart to the guy on the second team, based on the actual definition of the award.

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

In a hypothetical scenario where a team has two 100 point players, and another team has a 80 point guy and the next closest has 40, I'm giving the Hart to the guy on the second team, based on the actual definition of the award.

Your argument has a Skinner problem.

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yea remember all the Hart trophies Tavares won over Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Ovie, Perry....

your false insertion of the term “relative” did not go unnoticed. Clever, but wrong.

Edited by jame

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Your argument has a Skinner problem.

Eichel has 10 more points than the next closest Sabre, in 3 less games. The spread between Jack and Skinner, top 1/2 scorers, is larger than that on most teams.

Edited by Thorny

33 minutes ago, jame said:

How many Hart candidates do you think there are?

30 minutes ago, jame said:

So you overrate eichel as much as the other guy underrates him.

26 minutes ago, jame said:

You know we have data on the Sabres performance with Eichel out on long term injuries right?

and it’s not about how much a team suffers without a player, it’s about how much said player lifts them.

14 minutes ago, jame said:

7 minutes ago, jame said:

5 minutes ago, jame said:

Yea I could go A-Z on arguments that counter your “eichel is an mvp candidate because it feels right” argument

I would like it if you would reconsider your tone.

Sadly, maybe even pathetically, I've been a member of this community for fourteen and a half years.

The people to whom you are responding are my friends.  Some of them, I have met in real life; some, not.  Most of them were there for me when I went through the worst thing I ever could have imagined.  It certainly transcended sports.

You have an utter disregard for politeness and a complete disrespect for anyone other than you, from what I can tell from your limited time here.

I don't care if you want to attack me.  Go ahead.  As above, I've suffered worse.  But please stop being disrespectful to my friends.

I thank you in advance.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.