GDT: NY Rangers @ Buffalo Sabres, 2/15/2019 @ 7:00 PM ET

Doohickie

If we win tonight that's 9/14 points for this homestand and a  4-2-1 record. It's not enough to put us back in the Wild Card, but it goes a long towards keeping us in the picture.

Winning tonight:

• puts us ahead of Caronlina if they lose tonight, and if not we'll remain 1 point back with a game in hand.
  • puts us 2 points behind Pittsburgh
  • puts us 4 points behind Montreal (although they'll have  a game in hand)

Really at this point we need as many wins (or garbage points) as we can get.

All that means. MUST Win!

• Like (+1) 3

The Turkish coffee was working great, but @PASabreFan fell asleep, soundly, at 11:57 PM yesterday.

I hope this GDT works for us/

MUST WIN!!

GO SABRES!!

+++++

Just kidding about the thread start.  Thanks Doo for getting us going.

This is really a must win.  Maybe even more than the last game, which was also a must win.  We kind of have been saying that all season, but these remaining games pretty much are all must wins, which is what the fans of many other teams are saying right now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

TONIGHT’S GAME
RANGERS at SABRES

This is the third and final meeting between the Sabres and Rangers this season.

Last meeting: New York defeated Buffalo 3-1 in New York on Nov. 4, 2018

The Sabres are 4-4-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Rangers; 3-5-2 at home.

This is the 183rd game all-time between Buffalo and New York; Buffalo has an 82-65-35 series record.

The Sabres are 49-28-15 at home against the Rangers all-time.   

THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY

The Sabres are 10-5-3 all-time on February 15.

February 15, 2011: Jhonas Enroth becomes the first goaltender in NHL history to earn his first three career wins via the shootout with a 3-2 shootout win at Montreal.

February 15, 2015: Zach Bogosian makes his Sabres debut against the Philadelphia Flyers.   

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW

Tonight’s matchup is the final game of a seven-game homestand that ties the stretch from Jan. 20 to Feb. 2, 1997 as the longest in franchise history.

With at least a point in each of the six games during the homestand (2+6),Jack Eichel is looking to extend his point streak to seven games for the second time this season.

Eichel has recorded 11 points (4+7) in 11 career games against the New York, making the Rangers one of 15 NHL teams he has tallied at least a point per game against.

Sam Reinhart has recorded eight points (2+6) in eight games against New York dating back to the beginning of the 2016-17 season.

Kyle Okposo has totaled 20 points (5+15) in 20 games against the Rangers since the beginning of the 2013-14 season.

Conor Sheary has recorded five points (4+1) in his last five games against the Rangers, including goals in both of the previous meetings this season (3+0).

Carter Hutton is 4-1-0 in his career against New York, boasting a .953 save percentage and a 1.48 goals-against average in those games.   

HOME COOKING

Buffalo enters tonight’s game with a 17-8-4 (.655) record at home. The team’s .655 points percentage at home ranked eighth in the NHL before Thursday’s games.

Jeff Skinner leads all Sabres with 30 points (18+12) in 29 home games this season.

With 29 points (11+18) in 27 home games, Jack Eichel is also playing above a point-per-game pace at KeyBank Center this season.

Sam Reinhart has totaled 25 points (6+19) in 23 home games since the beginning of November, posting nine multi-point home games during that stretch.   

DYNAMIC DUO........... Lotsa Pominville info below

Jack Eichel and Jeff Skinner have both recorded a point on the same goal 27 times this season, making them the most productive Sabres duo since Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek combined on 39 goals in the 2011-12 season.

At least one of the two has recorded a point on 85 of the team’s 161 goals this season (52.8%).

JACK ATTACK

Jack Eichel recorded his 42nd and 43rd assists of the season on Tuesday vs. NY Islanders. He is the first Sabres player to record at least 40 assists in a season since Jason Pominville (43) in the 2011-12 season.

Entering play Thursday, Eichel’s 43 assists tied for 12th-most in the league and his 31 even-strength assists ranked 10th.

RISING IN THE RECORD BOOKS

With a goal on Feb. 7 vs. Carolina, Jason Pominville moved past Mike Foligno into eighth place in franchise history with his 512th points as a member of the Sabres. He currently trails Don Luce by 13 points for seventh-most.

Pominville is also just two goals from tying Luce for 10th-most goals in Sabres history, 11 assists behind Luce for seventh-most in franchise history and three games played from tying Alexei Zhitnik for eighth-most regular-season games played by a Sabre.

Eichel is currently on pace for 46 even-strength assists this season. Only five different players have recorded at least 45 even-strength assists since the 2005-06 season: Henrik Sedin (3x), Joe Thornton (3x), Connor McDavid (2x), Evgeni Malkin and Michael Nylander.

Former Sabres:  

Rangers assistant coach Lindy Ruff is a former player and head coach for the Sabres. He spent 10 seasons (1979-89) in a Sabres sweater and was the team’s head coach from 1997 to 2013, earning two Jack Adams Award nominations (2006, 2007) and winning once (2006).

Rangers assistant general manager Jim Schoenfeld was drafted in the first round (5th overall) by the Sabres in the 1972 NHL Draft and spent 11 seasons (1972-1982, 1984-1985) with the club. Schoenfeld, a former captain and a two-time NHL All Star, was inducted into the Buffalo Sabres Hall of Fame in 1996.

Rangers assistant coach Greg Brown was selected by the Sabres in the second round (26th overall) of the 1986 NHL Draft and played parts of two seasons (1990-91, 1992-93) with the club.

• Thanks (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Those lines combos are not the worst I've ever seen.

I'm thinking it's very likely Mittsie will be sitting out tonight.

EDIT TO ADD:

The D combos are not terrible either.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
more words ...

1 hour ago, RonHextallsShoulderPads said:

If you want to be in the playoffs go out and handle non-playoff teams from start to finish.  

Won't the Rangers be thinking the same thing?

59 minutes ago, jsb said:

TONIGHT’S GAME
RANGERS at SABRES

This is the third and final meeting between the Sabres and Rangers this season.game pace at KeyBank Center this season.

Would be nice to credit the source of this info. sabres.com I'm assuming.

33 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Enjoy your timeout ........

?

I would have gone with Gibby.

Also — I see this is still a playoff game. Not a mistake I would have made.

I hope Doohickie is as successful in GDT as PA has been of late. 

Not that we SS's are superstitious or anything (as I throw salt over shoulder, rubs rabbits foot, knocks on wood, crosses fingers and legs...)

Another must win to keep pace or lose place.. Friday evening, no work tomorrow , game on, drinks flowing, sleep in allowed, i do work for the weekend.

My Nephew NY Ranger fan is in town and going to the game with my brother, Brother-in-law, Daughter, Son in law and nephew and he never asked me if I would've come. So any single Ranger fan(he wears his NYR gear) you see with Sabre's fans named Paul please give em a rough ride...  And Buffalo please do your part and beat em like dish Rag's!!

Lets Go Buffalo, nothing but family bragging rights will do...      

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.