Playoffs! Do you think we make it?

Samson's Flow

Do the Sabres make the playoffs?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Sabres make the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

My heart says yes but my head and eye test says no and that's how I voted.

Now I do expect them to keep us all engaged right up to the bitter end of season when we miss out by 4-8 pts.

Then the final season reflection can begin of if we only had a PP that worked, a different 2nd line center, so-so didn't get hurt.we could squeezed out another 3-5 wins during the different down stretches how everything would be different  

We will know by end of next week I believe. If they are 6 or more points out of 8th by then, I think they trade Skinner and try to sign him in the Summer. I am keeping my eye on Washington as I think Carolina, Pitt and Columbus keep winning (unless Jackets sink without Bob and Panarin).

3 hours ago, R_Dudley said:

My heart says yes but my head and eye test says no and that's how I voted.

Now I do expect them to keep us all engaged right up to the bitter end of season when we miss out by 4-8 pts.

Then the final season reflection can begin of if we only had a PP that worked, a different 2nd line center, so-so didn't get hurt.we could squeezed out another 3-5 wins during the different down stretches how everything would be different  

I'm glad that they will keep us engaged well into late March. How soon we all forget seasons where the outcome was determined in November ?

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This next 5 games before the deadline may be the key to the season.  We play 3 non playoff teams in the NYR, @ NJ,  @ Fla.  We then play at TB and home against the Caps.  We must go 3-1-1 in these 5 to make a run at the playoffs and to convince Jbot to try an upgrade or two before the deadline.  After these 5 we play at Tor and at Philly back to back to close out the month.  If we are getting deadline help Jbot will want them here before the game against the Leafs on the 24th.  

Florida might as well be the way we usually play against them...that's pretty much an automatic L...we usually play better against Tampa

We are building and appear to be a bit short this season based on what I've seen. We need growth from the younger guys with room for improvement still (Dahlin, Jack, Risto, Middle, Tage, Linus etc.). The Sabres are just not deep enough right now, especially on defense. Hope I'm wrong and all those guys step up down the stretch.

• Thanks (+1) 1

23 hours ago, ... said:

@DarthEbriate I love your posts.

Can't answer the question for another week, sorry.

Thank you.

I think it was originally a defense mechanism against the tank and Sabrepede, but now it's just an idiom. My alternate reply to the thread required multiple voices:

−Still… we’ve got a lot of spirit. What do you think? Do you think the playoffs and a team like us….
+No!

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

We are building and appear to be a bit short this season based on what I've seen. We need growth from the younger guys with room for improvement still (Dahlin, Jack, Risto, Middle, Tage, Linus etc.). The Sabres are just not deep enough right now, especially on defense. Hope I'm wrong and all those guys step up down the stretch.

Welcome!!

I hope you are wrong too.  In my heart I say you are wrong, but logically I think you are right.  Improvement is what I had hoped for at the start of the season and to be in the playoff hunt after Thanksgiving (Canadian).

Sent you a beer ...

• Thanks (+1) 1

A few months back, the Sabres cranked off 10 wins in a row.

I see no reason why they can’t win 20 of their last 30.

I see a Montreal team that has no more talent than we do and has yet to have a trough

I see Islanders and Carolina teams that have no more talent than we do that have been playing above their heads.

And I see an aging Pittsburgh team and an about to be purged Columbus very much in striking distance

I even see a good Washington team not playing to its potential.

We probably aren’t going to make the playoffs but we have a reasonable chance.

After what we’ve been through, we would be foolish not to try and enjoy the ride 

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

On 2/13/2019 at 11:42 PM, Pimlach said:

It’s possible.  I voted yes. The best is yet to come.  

I said this after the solid game versus the Islanders.  Thinking about is after a rested Sabres played terrible against the less talented Rangers at home.  

My concern is the goaltending.   Not that I blame them solely, I just don’t think they are good enough to cover up for the poor defensive play.  Defensemen are not clearing the front and teams are feasting in front of our net.   Forwards are not supporting breakouts and leaving men uncovered, there are too many careless turnovers.  

If Uhlmark just stops goal #3, let alone #5, we might have won.  Both goalies are poor handling the puck and get beat not covering posts.  

I don’t think a playoff teams has Dahlin and Sobotka getting this many minutes.  

It's been obvious we are not making the playoffs. Tonight only further reinforces that. Whether it's coaching, lack of roster talent or some other reason is really moot at this point.

I expected more from this season, not so much the playoff birth itself, but to see some fight right to the end for it, regardless of outcome would have been nice. These guys have just mailed it in. This past month/month in a half especially. It's actually sad to continue to have receive this pain as a Sabres fan. We fans deserved better than this, that's really all I can say on it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Scottysabres said:

It's been obvious we are not making the playoffs. Tonight only further reinforces that. Whether it's coaching, lack of roster talent or some other reason is really moot at this point.

I expected more from this season, not so much the playoff birth itself, but to see some fight right to the end for it, regardless of outcome would have been nice. These guys have just mailed it in. This past month/month in a half especially. It's actually sad to continue to have receive this pain as a Sabres fan. We fans deserved better than this, that's really all I can say on it.

It was obvious after we dropped 5 in a row after the streak we were in trouble.  Honestly, the 20 points from the streak masks the fact that they are no better than last year.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Scottysabres said:

Maybe I change the poll to "Should the Sabres be sellers or hold tight this deadline".

Good thing we asked about playoffs a few weeks ago and not now

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Maybe I change the poll to "Should the Sabres be sellers or hold tight this deadline".

Good thing we asked about playoffs a few weeks ago and not now

It's good to know our GM can get hosed by giving up the games top faceoff man, and defensive forward who can put up 60 points every year for a bag of pucks and Berglund, Sobotka, a young kid that cant hit the net and a likely useless first round pick.... yeah I am salty right now 

4 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

It's good to know our GM can get hosed by giving up the games top faceoff man, and defensive forward who can put up 60 points every year for a bag of pucks and Berglund, Sobotka, a young kid that cant hit the net and a likely useless first round pick.... yeah I am salty right now 

What a terrible trade.  Not only did we not receive anything of value in return other than a first round pick likely in the lower end of the round, we took on bad contracts for Berglund and Sobotka that had years remaining.  It is pure luck for JB that Berglund decided to leave the Sabres and forego the remaining amounts due under his contract.

Just now, jahnyc said:

What a terrible trade.  Not only did we not receive anything of value in return other than a first round pick likely in the lower end of the round, we took on bad contracts for Berglund and Sobotka that had years remaining.  It is pure luck for JB that Berglund decided to leave the Sabres and forego the remaining amounts due under his contract.

We got completely hosed.  That is just the objective truth. Even if ROR wanted out there has to be a better trade than that.  I had a bad feeling as soon as we were shopping him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.