Playoffs! Do you think we make it?

Samson's Flow

Do the Sabres make the playoffs?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Sabres make the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

Historically the playoff cutoff line has been around the 97 point mark. So far the Sabres have played 56 games for 63 points and sit two points behind Pittsburgh for the final wild card spot. There are a few teams to jump to make it, and about 1/3 rd of the season left to play.

image.png.c352bbf5f091a2c4a63b22c0c099ffa0.png

Doing some quick math, the Sabres will need to up their PPG from ~1.125 to ~1.308, which equates to getting 4 points for every 3 games played (i.e. 2-1-0, 1-0-2, etc.). Essentially we need to play better than what we have YTD, and that includes the 10 game winning streak which boosted our points dramatically.

Negative. It didn't go in. Just impacted outside the playoffs.

I'm sticking by my preseason prediction of very good season, in the playoff conversation until the very end, but ultimately coming up short. I said 4th in the Atlantic, but Montreal has been strong... and we might go 5th instead, even with a similar amount of estimated points.

But -- just like those first few trench runs -- there will be one upcoming soon that is going to light up the sky with Sabres joy.

• Like (+1) 2

Nope.

I expect JBot to move some contracts before the deadline and make the team much younger as a result. 

This season is about the future. That 10 game winning streak skewed the curve and got people giddy with anticipation of the playoffs. If it happens, that's great, but not at all likely from my point of view.

I hope they stay healthy, show improvement and strengthen the core that makes deep playoff runs for the next 10 years.

My rule of thumb in the “Sabres are X points out of the last playoff spot” is that to take that last spot, 2  straight wins are required for each point they are behind.  So if they are 2 points behind, they need 4 straight wins to supplant the current holder of the spot.  

33 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

My rule of thumb in the “Sabres are X points out of the last playoff spot” is that to take that last spot, 2  straight wins are required for each point they are behind.  So if they are 2 points behind, they need 4 straight wins to supplant the current holder of the spot.  

Especially if we are 4 wons behind in the ROW.

The biggest problem facing Jbot is what move to make to get this team over the hump.  I was sure we needed a 2nd line center, but then the offense kicked in. Then the D fell apart. Then the team showed they can play defense against for the last 3 games.  

So I’m really not sure what to do.  I’d like to see a 2nd line RHD pushing Bogo to the 3rd pair.  I’d also wouldn’t mind another center who can win a draw pushing Sobotka to the bench.  That said, I have been hoping Jbot would do something to support this team, but am becoming convinced that his something will be next to nothing at least at the deadline.

It’s funny, but I trust Jbot’s decision making overall. However, I worry that he is to timid at the deadline.  He is very analytical and the deadline seems mor e about feel then analysis.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Not this year or probably not next either.  After that we should be in for good times hopefully.  JBot is going to build it slow and steady it seems.

I think we will just miss this year but will make it next year for sure (assuming Skinner is signed, we add at least one good FA and one or more "rookies" are added to the lineup, all of which is realistic).

I think next year Boston (how much longer can their older vets hang on?) drops off and Columbus misses, maybe Pittsburgh and Montreal also drop. We will not only make the playoffs, we will finish third and meet the Laughs in round 1. Next year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.