GDT: New York Islanders at Buffalo Sabres, 7:09 p.m., February 12, 2019

PASabreFan

58 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Dahlin-Hunwick on the other hand...

Woof. 

Did Baloo refer to PH as Phyllis any time in the past two months? Is he in the doghouse? I'm amazed Hunwick is playing over him, or not sitting Scandy for a night to give him a chance. I know there was the "trade-request" for playing time, but he's played twice in 2019 and the team has been awful during that stretch. Would playing him be worse than Hunwick? I'd imagine he'd be playing hungry and desperate. I'm trying to recall but he didn't look that bad this year, did he? Certainly not as bad as last year.

Since January 16th when his request for a trade (or play more) was made, Beaulieu has played only 1 game.  Everyone else on the team has played more, including CJ Smith and Matt Hunwick.

Given the school district freaking out about nothing, all activities were canceled tonight.  Sooooo I guess I will be around to watch the game.

17 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

I thought Hunwick was just fine against the Jets.

He was invisible. Perfect for the 3rd pairing alternate guy.

I'll beg to differ. He was an absolute tire fire, based on what I was seeing at the game (live).

And, I just checked to see if the stats match my untrained eyeball test. Yep: Hunwick had a horrendous 39% CF.

The fact that he was paired with Dahlin contributed to the rookie having one of his worst games in memory.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'll beg to differ. He was an absolute tire fire, based on what I was seeing at the game (live).

And, I just checked to see if the stats match my untrained eyeball test. Yep: Hunwick had a horrendous 39% CF.

The fact that he was paired with Dahlin contributed to the rookie having one of his worst games in memory.

Which is yet why Phil actually needs to get with the times, he is doing anything but maximizing our roster. It may not be good enough anyways, but he isn't helping and that is why we need someone who can do the simple math. 

For me, a loss tonight in regulation, in my head, means no playoffs. Let's see what this team is made of 

35 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'll go by your analysis of Hunwick as for the bolded, he wasn't on the ice for the short handed goal given up by Rasmus-II and he had his man for Rasmus' 2nd screwup. Can't blame him for that game. Although why Phil does what he does is beyond my comprehension.

Well we got almost 2 and 3/4 periods of solid play against the 1st place Jets team and now we get to see a test of the Sabres mettle with another 1st place team tonight.  We will see if this team is up for the task.

Agree with all those in the thread questioning some of Phils line-up decisions and who he puts on the ice in key situations as I don't see what his rationale is with certain players and why others why who may have more upside potential are not being given a chance.

Lets win one against a team higher than us in the standings for the home fans. 

Hedi, heidi Ho, Let's go Buffalo !              

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, jsb said:

I'll go by your analysis of Hunwick as for the bolded, he wasn't on the ice for the short handed goal given up by Rasmus-II and he had his man for Rasmus' 2nd screwup. Can't blame him for that game. Although why Phil does what he does is beyond my comprehension.

Fair deuce on Hunwick not being on the ice for Dahlin's major gaffes. But, overall, Hunwick is an anchor. Dahlin had managed to elevate just about everyone's performance when he played with them. Not Hunwick.

1 hour ago, IrwinNelson said:

Ever since Chara ran Denny Hamel and more or less ended his career, the Islanders have been among my most hated teams. Let’s win this won for Denis (and because our season depends on it.)

This is among the stranger posts I've seen here.  

Ever since Chara ran Denny Hamel and more or less ended his career, the Islanders have been among my most hated teams. Let’s win this won for Denis (and because our season depends on it.)

About a month before that, Hamel went head first into the end boards at home and was motionless for quite awhile. This was against the Caps, IIRC.

• Like (+1) 2

Wow.  I don't remember that one, and I thought I held a grudge against all the brutality committed against Sabres.

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

What's up with Bogo?

Hunwick was atrocious against the Jets.

Hunwick was invisible for 55 minutes (a good thing), then he failed to get the puck down ice to get his team a change and we lost the game... I don’t mind him playing due to Bogo injury.

unfortunstely Botts doesn’t have the balls to bench Scandella for a game

I don't really understand refusing to play Beaulieu for all but 1 game since he put in his request, and I don't understand why Smith has been called up just to sit, and again today based on the lineups in practice. He may draw in for an injured Casey, but I find those two decisions from Botterill and Housley puzzling.

Anyways, they need to win this game to salvage this playoffs-make-or-break homestand. A loss puts them at 2-3-1 with one game remaining in the stretch.

Gotta get this one.

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.