Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

1 hour ago, ... said:

What's with the pessimism? Other than a still-leaky offensive line, I think they look pretty good.

I don't understand the optimism. This team's biggest accomplishment of the last twenty years was losing to the Jaguars in a playoff game. They've have plenty of good starts in that time frame. None of this means anything.

7 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I don't understand the optimism. This team's biggest accomplishment of the last twenty years was losing to the Jaguars in a playoff game. They've have plenty of good starts in that time frame. None of this means anything.

This is a bit odd coming from a dedicated Sabres fan. The Bills' last ~6 years have absolutely blown anything the Sabres have done out of the water.

And they have a first round quarterback that has traversed a rather significant amount of developmental ground in his 13 games. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

This is a bit odd coming from a dedicated Sabres fan. The Bills' last ~6 years have absolutely blown anything the Sabres have done out of the water.

And they have a first round quarterback that has traversed a rather significant amount of developmental ground in his 13 games. 

The Sabres are a different animal entirely and aren't even relevant to this. These last few years have been exhausting, sure, but at least they were relevant as near as 2011. The Bills "blowing them out of the water" is the absolute lowest of bars and is a laughable comment to make.

The Bills have been ***** for decades and they have been suckering people into believing in them in September for decades. It's like a revivalist church every year in this dumb town. I just don't see the point. You can scream at me until you have a stroke that this year is somehow different but as far as I'm concerned it's just the same old song and dance.

You can tell me I was wrong in January. 

22 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The Sabres are a different animal entirely and aren't even relevant to this. These last few years have been exhausting, sure, but at least they were relevant as near as 2011. The Bills "blowing them out of the water" is the absolute lowest of bars and is a laughable comment to make.

The Bills have been ***** for decades and they have been suckering people into believing in them in September for decades. It's like a revivalist church every year in this dumb town. I just don't see the point. You can scream at me until you have a stroke that this year is somehow different but as far as I'm concerned it's just the same old song and dance.

You guys have reversed your recent posting trends when you move from the Sabres to the Bills so precisely, I could swear it was deliberate. ?

Edited by dudacek
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

You guys have reversed your recent posting trends when you move from the Sabres to the Bills so precisely, I could swear it was deliberate. ?

It probably is. I mostly don't care for NFL football and the Bills are a team I root for because I am obligated to do so because I'm not going to be one of those dorks who jumps on some other bandwagon. But as long as the Bills exist I will be forever miffed that anyone even takes anything they do in the first 5-6 weeks seriously. The successes always find a way to melt away into nothing. And that's not even hyperbole, it's a fact. 

The Sabres, even when they're bad, will always more interesting than the Bills. But that's just probably because hockey is the better sport anyway. 

3 minutes ago, ... said:

By then you have missed all of the fun.

Fun. Sure.

I've wasted too many nice fall Sundays to fall for that again. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Coordination via PMs (ninja face)

14 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The point I was trying to make is that you (like I) will happily dedicate untold numbers of hours to the Sabres, with plenty of optimism along the way (we were all delirious for a few weeks last season, and after firings and hirings and Dahlins and Eichels yaddah yaddah, and any preseason prediction thread that always inevitably makes us as a fanbase look stupid), but come in here and wonder how there can be optimism with a team that has brought me exponentially better sports memories over the last more than half of a decade than the Sabres have, in 100s fewer games played. It just comes off as really strange. That period includes a stretch of four seasons where the Bills were something like 15th in the NFL in wins, sandwiched between franchises like Baltimore and Atlanta, while the Sabres were in last place by the same measure by more than double the amount separating any other two NHL franchises in that span. They made their way into this discussion because I've never heard you say anything like that regarding Sabres fans and their own optimism. Sure, the number of tangible things like playoff victories aren't there for the bills, in a league with more teams and fewer spots, in a division with the patriots. But as far as actual sports memories, excitement, relevance? It's not ***** close, so yeah, I feel way more optimistic about an obviously-much-better-run franchise.

5 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It probably is. I mostly don't care for NFL football and the Bills are a team I root for because I am obligated to do so because I'm not going to be one of those dorks who jumps on some other bandwagon. But as long as the Bills exist I will be forever miffed that anyone even takes anything they do in the first 5-6 weeks seriously.

This can perhaps be true in real life or on TBD or something, but I think people in here have been incredibly measured and properly contextualized. It is what it is, and even then this Sunday was more fun than all but maybe five Sabres moments since before I turned 16 years old, and the prospect of facing harder teams and losing later in the season, or of finishing with a bad record, doesn't change that one bit, just like it doesn't in any other sport

Our D line is legit.

Our O line is surprisingly good.

Our receivers are infinitely better than last year.

Josh Allen has made some really nice throws (throws I wasn’t sure he was capable of.)

Our D backs are solid.

I know we played two garbage teams, but we looked good doing it (yes, I know there were some bad turnovers in there, but ***** it.)

fun is fun. This is fun.

12 minutes ago, ... said:

How can you not get a little warm over this play and these numbers?

In that replay, last year's Josh Allen runs for it.  Maybe he makes it, maybe not, but every scramble he makes is an opportunity to get injured in the chaos.  I like this year's Josh better.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Our D line is legit.

Our O line is surprisingly good.

Our receivers are infinitely better than last year.

Josh Allen has made some really nice throws (throws I wasn’t sure he was capable of.)

Our D backs are solid.

I know we played two garbage teams, but we looked good doing it (yes, I know there were some bad turnovers in there, but ***** it.)

fun is fun. This is fun.

I was thinking that our defensive ends were kind of weak this week. Part of that was Nate Solder. But I read a much smarter poster than I on TBD, and he explained that the defensive line was instructed to stay in their gaps this week - there were few to no stunts this time, which are what made us so effective in getting after Darnold last week. This was because Barkley was their sole weapon, and stunts give guys with his vision a plethora of running options. So they sacrificed a few pretty numbers for containment of Barkley, the trade-off giving Eli a little more time, which was obviously the right trade-off to make.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

The past twenty years don't mean anything to these guys. New ownership since 2014. New coach and GM since 2017. Only 5 players on the roster were here before McDermott (Lorax, Hughes, Lawson, Lee Smith, and Ferguson). It just doesn't make sense to play the "same old Bills" card when these are decidedly not the same Bills. Life is ***** short and miserable anyway, so why not just enjoy the 2-0 start for what it is? Unlike the Sabres, the Bills actually made moves to get better this fall. So far, so good.

6 hours ago, darksabre said:

A game in which they didn't score a TD, no less.

6 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Coordination via PMs (ninja face)

The point I was trying to make is that you (like I) will happily dedicate untold numbers of hours to the Sabres, with plenty of optimism along the way (we were all delirious for a few weeks last season, and after firings and hirings and Dahlins and Eichels yaddah yaddah, and any preseason prediction thread that always inevitably makes us as a fanbase look stupid), but come in here and wonder how there can be optimism with a team that has brought me exponentially better sports memories over the last more than half of a decade than the Sabres have, in 100s fewer games played. It just comes off as really strange. That period includes a stretch of four seasons where the Bills were something like 15th in the NFL in wins, sandwiched between franchises like Baltimore and Atlanta, while the Sabres were in last place by the same measure by more than double the amount separating any other two NHL franchises in that span. They made their way into this discussion because I've never heard you say anything like that regarding Sabres fans and their own optimism. Sure, the number of tangible things like playoff victories aren't there for the bills, in a league with more teams and fewer spots, in a division with the patriots. But as far as actual sports memories, excitement, relevance? It's not ***** close, so yeah, I feel way more optimistic about an obviously-much-better-run franchise.

If it makes you feel any better, I used to go into a deep depression once baseball season was over because I knew for a fact that the bills and sabres would suck. I still hold both truths to be self evident and I have chosen to adhere to ambivalence ever since. I spend my winters chasing snow in the mountains rather than giving a hoot how bad the bills and sabres are. I say "how bad" instead of "how good" because we all know it's going to be bad. It has been for over a decade. More than a decade! 

Edit: response to my first sentence: I don't know why that would make you feel any better. Crappy figure of speech. It's *****. Makes me feel worse, but I like it. Drink. Bourbon.

Edited by ubkev

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Mike Tomlin Announces Rothslinberger out for the season 

Thats not nothing for the Bills. They play the stillers week 15, plus it makes that wildcard spot easier. Not that they were any great shakes this year BEFORE that, but this should essentially kill Pittsburgh playoff homes entirely.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, sabills said:

Thats not nothing for the Bills. They play the stillers week 15, plus it makes that wildcard spot easier. Not that they were any great shakes this year BEFORE that, but this should essentially kill Pittsburgh playoff homes entirely.

Unless Mason Rudolph is good. I don't think he will be, but stranger things have happened.