Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

3 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Anyone else see that the bills will be doing joint practices with the Panthers in Carolina?

Lol

I like the idea of joint practices.  The Bills have conducted them with Cleveland in the past but that's inappropriate this year (Cleveland is on the schedule).  And they're going to be down  there anyway for the second preseason game.

• 1 month later...

The local paper has a prominent headline posted online about Allen's solid performance during the 3rd down drills at today's camp.

I think this may be about where I get off the bus. It's too much.

Admittedly, I was guilty of feeding into this earlier this year when Allen had good reports out of OTAs, and I was all "YASS, KING."

It must be that it's late July. I don't want real-time updates on my local football team's QB at this point in time. I just don't.

season 13 GIF

39 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The local paper has a prominent headline posted online about Allen's solid performance during the 3rd down drills at today's camp.

Admittedly, I was guilty of feeding into this earlier this year when Allen had good reports out of OTAs, and I was all "YASS, KING."

It must be that it's late July. I don't want real-time updates on my local football team's QB at this point in time. I just don't.

season 13 GIF

It's been like this forever. Welcome to the "sick of it" club, we've been keeping a seat open for you.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/26/2019 at 2:56 PM, That Aud Smell said:

season 13 GIF

I'll never understand putting stock into anything that happens before the regular season starts. When it comes to knowing anything about anything, NFL preseason is as valuable as observing a high school game.

3 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I can really understand the skepticism but they really are building something special at One Bill’s Drive. Obviously depends on if Allen can become a force. 

This team should be as likeable as they come and I think pretty talented and deep to boot.

Personally, I find the continual "Buffalo weather" and "blue collar" tropes that McDermott spews every other word to be nauseating, and I continue to be terrified he's living in pre-2000 football. But to each their own.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

But it would be pretty awesome if JA turns into a great QB, right?

I don't have high hopes, but yes, it would be fan-freakin'-tastic to have a legit QB again.  Lots of holes appear to have been filled this offseason, so while we may not be superstar-laden, we will hopefully have few weaknesses.

Know what the best thing about this coming Bills season is?  .... No expectations.  

The Bills had a great off-season.  Depth on the O line including an all-pro caliber center. New and improved targets at TE and WRs.  Add some maturity at the QB coupled with a steady D and the Bills have everything they need to have a good season.  Now the question is can they put it together?  If they do 11-5 is possible. If not 7-9 or 8-8.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/26/2019 at 2:56 PM, That Aud Smell said:

season 13 GIF

I bet you loved the 2020 NHL draft thread.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, tom webster said:

I put little stock in what they say publicly. You give me well read, secure guys and I’m betting on them. McD and Beane surround themselves with smart people, and my opinion is that they are smart enough to be open to anything that helps them win.

I don't put stock in what they say publicly in the grand scheme of things, but I do think it's part of team likeability. Granted, a lot of fans eat up that kind of talk, but I think it's both an appeal to the lowest common denominator and not really representative of where Buffalo is (and has been) moving as a city. 

More importantly, their actions have matched their words with respect to team building. The way they built the team is very old school, and if it works nobody will care, but it's definitely not the way I wanted to see the team built. 

58 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I don't put stock in what they say publicly in the grand scheme of things, but I do think it's part of team likeability. Granted, a lot of fans eat up that kind of talk, but I think it's both an appeal to the lowest common denominator and not really representative of where Buffalo is (and has been) moving as a city. 

More importantly, their actions have matched their words with respect to team building. The way they built the team is very old school, and if it works nobody will care, but it's definitely not the way I wanted to see the team built. 

I understand your concerns but I think they built it based on what they inherited. They knew they could fix the defense fast and they wanted the offense to grow together. Plus, they still have a ton of cap room  next year.

No doubt, at their core they are old school. But you could say that about Belichek and a slew of other coaches. It comes down to a willingness to learn and an ability to absorb information.

21 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'll never understand putting stock into anything that happens before the regular season starts. When it comes to knowing anything about anything, NFL preseason is as valuable as observing a high school game.

If a QB looks lost and awful during training camp and/or preseason action, that’s significant.

I understand your point about apparent competence during camp or preseason action. Hell, we all saw Peterman look good this time of year in 2018.