Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

31 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Better yet, a guy fakes that signal, thinks better of it for an instant and then gets blown up and the coverage team gets 15 yards and an ejection for unsportsmanlike.

This is no different than a player starting his TD celebration a yard too early and dropping the ball in the field of play.  Have yet to see the refs say "well, his intent was to carry the ball into the endzone, just give it to 'em." Guy had a major brain fart and got very lucky the refs were still in a Christmas spirit of giving and forgiveness.  That play didn't give the home team the game but it would've absolutely buried them.  And by the rule (as was mentioned on the Ford 15 yarder) it was not a touchback.

I'm willing to bet that call stands (or gets corrected to a safety) if the play happened in Orchard Park.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Yes. But that seems neither here nor there.

Why? You quoted the rulebook to refute.  Clearly the rulebook was not the single defining factor in the decision making of the referees, at least not as it pertained to that officiating crew on that day, as such, it stands to reason that they were interpreting the rules.  But that said, the rule itself for blindside blocks is broken all the time as players do come back up the field to block.  I'm not about to go look for video, but I think that rule can be clarified to avoid what Ford did being a penalty, because it most assuredly, using common sense, should not be.  It should not be illegal to block a guy who is looking at you.

16 hours ago, tom webster said:

This is going down as one of the most mis-understood calls in the history of the NFL. The original call was actually going to be illegal forward pass resulting in a safety. Even McDermott referred to it incorrectly. The audio is pretty clear Corrente tells the alternate ref “I have an illegal forward pass”

Either way, the complexion of the game changes.  You can allow for either a TD or safety, but nowhere should the result have been a touchback.  Two points and possession would have been beneficial as well.  I won't say they would have won, that's impossible to know, but they would have had at a minimum 2 points extra on their side in the game.

5 minutes ago, LTS said:

Why? You quoted the rulebook to refute.  Clearly the rulebook was not the single defining factor in the decision making of the referees, at least not as it pertained to that officiating crew on that day, as such, it stands to reason that they were interpreting the rules.  But that said, the rule itself for blindside blocks is broken all the time as players do come back up the field to block.  I'm not about to go look for video, but I think that rule can be clarified to avoid what Ford did being a penalty, because it most assuredly, using common sense, should not be.  It should not be illegal to block a guy who is looking at you.

But, apparently, it is. Did you want the refs to wing it at the end because they winged it earlier in the half?

Just now, PASabreFan said:

But, apparently, it is. Did you want the refs to wing it at the end because they winged it earlier in the half?

I'm not going to pretend I understand your response.  But I'll play along..

Yes, I wanted the refs to wing it.  They were already winging it, so why not wing it some more? 

8 hours ago, shrader said:

The rule also includes "making no effort to advance".  He was walking forward as he tossed the ball, so that potential defense is killed.  An interesting thought comes to mind after reading that one though.  Those plays where a player is about to score but instead parallels the goal line in order to run off clock... shouldn't that technically count as giving yourself up?  Sure the player does still have the intention of advancing eventually, but there's too much subjectivity in the current rule.  They really should require that the player goes to the ground.

Just get rid of the kickoff already... and punts.    Make every team go for it on 4th down.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Just get rid of the kickoff already... and punts.    Make every team go for it on 4th down.

I could get behind getting rid of place-kicking. Start post-score drives on the 20/25, and there's no reason to punt from the opponents 45 or so. I think without punts the games would look far too one-sided.

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

If Ford’s block is a penalty why wasn’t Duke Johnson’s block on Edmunds on the first two point conversion 

I thought we covered this. The game was fixed. 

Prove me wrong.

The NFL is a joke.

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

I thought we covered this. The game was fixed. 

Prove me wrong.

The NFL is a joke.

I know. The Saints should have gone to the Super Bowl last year. Had that actually happened, they probably would have defeated the Patriots.

Doubling down on stupid...

MaAIgBaS_bigger.jpgIan RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
FollowFollow @RapSheet
More

#Bills RT Cody Ford was fined $28,075 for unnecessary roughness for the illegal blindside block that knocked his team out of field-goal range in overtime last week against the #Texans. They punted, Houston drove for a winning field goal … now a fine on top of it.