Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why no face mask on the 4 and 1.  There is zero question that the officials and the NFL in general give the Pats, their cheating coach and Chinese food obsessed owner every break.

That said you must find away to beat the King to become the King.  Allen and the Bills aren’t there yet.  Our run defense must be improved, our receiving corps must be improved.  We need better TEs and more depth at RB.  We also need our QB to learn to pass consistently.

What's the more likely scenario?

1. Official sees the facemask and decides to not call it because a Patriot did it.

2. Official didn't see it.

Well, I suppose those residing in the world of sane humans who hoped that "the refs" giving the Bills, in their last drive vs the Ravens, the benefit of two personal fouls and a long phantom PI call would put to rest these nonsensical conspiracy theories will continue to be disappointed.

How about this:  the Pats won because they got better play out of their QB and their defense than the Bills did.

I love the fact that when actual NFL players and coaches talk about it, they will say that as their team got better, they would start to get the calls that they didn’t get when they were bad. 

The Bills are getting there. They are not quite there yet.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LTS said:

Dan Marino used to be able to intentionally ground the ball at will with impunity.  I think certain players obtain a status where the official's line for calling the penalty is moved, even so slightly, in the favor of the player.

The rules were different then and there was much more left to officials' interpretation.  I agree with you--Marino got away with it a lot.

But with today's clear rule that the ball must cross the line of scrimmage, there is no excuse.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

The rules were different then and there was much more left to officials' interpretation.  I agree with you--Marino got away with it a lot.

But with today's clear rule that the ball must cross the line of scrimmage, there is no excuse.

The ball can land at the line of scrimmage. "At or beyond."

The Bills losing because they got outplayed and the refs being ***** to the benefit of the Pats* are not mutually exclusive concepts.  Both can be true.

Also, just because one can point to examples of the Bills getting bad calls that benefit them doesn't mean teams like the Pats* dont benefit more often and many times in crucial game changing situations.  Furthermore, acknowledging that the Pats* do indeed on balance benefit more from bad/missed calls does not mean that someone is buying into some grand conspiracy theory that the NFL is out to get the Bills. When teams that are dominant year and and year out play teams that have been largely irrelevant for a very long time, theres a natural human tendency and bias towards making calls that benefit the non irrelevant team. 

23 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I suppose those residing in the world of sane humans who hoped that "the refs" giving the Bills, in their last drive vs the Ravens, the benefit of two personal fouls and a long phantom PI call would put to rest these nonsensical conspiracy theories will continue to be disappointed.

How about this:  the Pats won because they got better play out of their QB and their defense than the Bills did.

The Bills fan base is generally in denial about the limitations of Josh Allen.  They'll cook up any explanation to help explain a loss that doesn't shine a bight light on the QB. 

It's interesting, but also strange IMO.  

Allen's support is starting to collapse within a portion of the fanbase, but it's still not widespread.

The day will come when everyone accepts it.  But the question is how long will it take to get there?

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

The Bills fan base is generally in denial about the limitations of Josh Allen.  They'll cook up any explanation to help explain a loss that doesn't shine a bight light on the QB. 

It's interesting, but also strange IMO.  

Allen's support is starting to collapse within a portion of the fanbase, but it's still not widespread.

The day will come when everyone accepts it.  But the question is how long will it take to get there?

Hysterical. Team is 10-5, had the ball and were driving in four of the losses, three with Allen in the game but let’s focus on the second year quarterback’s limitations. Of course he has limitations, he’s a work in progress.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, drnkirishone said:

I really enjoyed the refs calling out the timekeepers for running the clock on a stoppage. I assume the home team provides the teamkeepers?

The clock also ran not long after that when it shouldn't have and they had to fix it.

I tried watching the Four Falls of Buffalo with much trepidation as I knew it would bring back emotions I don't enjoy living through.  I enjoyed it for a bit, feeling nostalgic about days past but the antagonist that stars in the movie Inkman: The Story of an ***** living rent free in his head; showed up about 30 minutes in enraging me to no end.  I couldn't live with another 30 seconds of Bill Belichek's face in my life.  I don't know how anyone can do it.  The amount of rage that man causes me has no bounds.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 12/23/2019 at 1:57 PM, tom webster said:

Hysterical. Team is 10-5, had the ball and were driving in four of the losses, three with Allen in the game but let’s focus on the second year quarterback’s limitations. Of course he has limitations, he’s a work in progress.

I notice how Allen's critics constantly obsess over his completion percentage, which is currently at the very bottom of the league at 58.8%. The obvious problems with this singular statistic:

1. The type of offensive system significantly affects completion percentage. Josh Allen in Daboll's Erhardt-Perkins system can't be expected to have the same completion percentage as a QB in, say, a spread offense.

2. Weather affects completion percentage. You can't realistically expect a Buffalo Bills QB to routinely achieve completion percentages like Drew Brees, who plays in a dome.

3. Dropped passes affect completion percentage. The Bills are currently at the top of the league in this stat. I don't care how hard Josh Allen may be throwing the ball. If the ball hits your hands and if you're getting paid millions to catch a ball, then hold on to the ball.

4. Footwork and throwing mechanics affect completion percentage. Allen still needs to work on this aspect of his game, but it's all very correctable with more time and effort. This isn't an innate skill.

My conclusion: take just 25 of Josh Allen's incompletions over the course of this 15-game season, convert them to completions, and then he's suddenly at the league median with 64.4%. He's already made a lot of progress since last year and since the beginning of this season. Find him a true #1 WR with a large catching radius, a power RB upgrade over Gore, maybe two new starters on the OL, and then sit back and enjoy the Super Bowl run next year.

• Like (+1) 2

Kirk Cousins, Minnesota Vikings. Ranked 4th in completion percentage. 

Weather may impact it but to suggest that it's this all important factor is false. Flacco, Wilson, Rogers all have better completion % and play in crap weather. 

Don't use weather as an excuse. Josh needs better receivers and too continue working on his footwork and ball placement. Also his reads are sometimes bad. Let's see if he keeps progressing. 

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Kirk Cousins, Minnesota Vikings. Ranked 4th in completion percentage. 

Weather may impact it but to suggest that it's this all important factor is false. Flacco, Wilson, Rogers all have better completion % and play in crap weather. 

Don't use weather as an excuse. Josh needs better receivers and too continue working on his footwork and ball placement. Also his reads are sometimes bad. Let's see if he keeps progressing. 

I can and will and just did. Wind, cold temperatures, rain, and snow affect completion percentage. New Era Field is easily the windiest stadium in the NFL. Cousins and Wilson play in domes. Flacco is a 12-year vet with a mediocre completion percentage. Rodgers in Green Bay might be a good counterpoint, but he's also well-known as being among the very greatest precision passers to have ever played the game.

13 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

I can and will and just did. Wind, cold temperatures, rain, and snow affect completion percentage. New Era Field is easily the windiest stadium in the NFL. Cousins and Wilson play in domes. Flacco is a 12-year vet with a mediocre completion percentage. Rodgers in Green Bay might be a good counterpoint, but he's also well-known as being among the very greatest precision passers to have ever played the game.

And yet QBs come to Chicago or Green Bay or Buffalo and have higher completion percentages. It's a mediocre stat to begin with but Allen doesn't have the leagues worst pass completion because of weather. If he did his completion percentage would be bad in all the windy buffalo games you claim he plays in. His cp% instead goes up and down and there's a clear correlation to opponents. 

36 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Wilson does not play in a dome, never has. He's also one of the best QBs in the league, a certain first ballot hall of fame future inductee. I pray Josh turns into Wilson. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 12/26/2019 at 4:48 PM, Doohickie said:

Indoor stadium.

My bad sorry. The way to do this is take all the QBs who played in Buffalo the last 2 years, take their completion percentages, compare them in a game to game look at josh. I'd bet we'd find a pattern. 

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

My bad sorry. The way to do this is take all the QBs who played in Buffalo the last 2 years, take their completion percentages, compare them in a game to game look at josh. I'd bet we'd find a pattern. 

Actually, if you're trying to determine the significance of Buffalo's weather as a factor on QB performance, you would start by comparing the stats of every QB who played in Buffalo with their stats when not playing in Buffalo. This includes Josh's stats. 

I listed weather (mostly wind this season) as just one of 3 factors outside Josh Allen's control that affect completion percentage. Another is the team's abnormally high number of dropped passes. The biggest factor, however, is the type of offensive system run. For example, Lamar Jackson's completion percentage would likely drop in Daboll's system and Josh Allen's would likely rise in Roman's system.

I also listed throwing mechanics and footwork as affecting completion percentage. Josh has improved in this aspect of his game since last season, but he still gets sloppy at times.

One factor I forgot to add is pro experience. The more defensive looks a QB has seen in his lifetime, the better he should get at completing passes (though this will plateau after a certain number of games played...usually after about 3 full seasons).

Yet another obvious factor I didn't initially mention is the type of defenses faced. Playing the Ravens and the Steelers in the AFC North will tend to lower completion percentage compared to playing the Giants and Skins in the NFC East.

So basically, there are a number of factors (I've listed 6 now) that affect completion percentage, with weather being one factor but normally not the most important factor. I think it's reasonable to expect about 65% from Josh for his third season under Daboll, but the 58.8% right now isn't at all alarming. Like I said earlier, that's a difference of about 25 completed passes over 15 games. A true #1 WR, an upgrade at LG and RT, and an improvement over Gore are what we should expect from Buffalo this off-season to help Allen succeed. Of course, even if Josh Allen reaches 65%, I'm sure there will be another stat that many of you here will cling to in order to validate your preconceived opinion that he is a bust...

I know how many you listed. You specifically listed 1 I think is wrong. Josh doesn't have a trash completion percentage because of weather. If that were true why isn't Tyrod also worse? His worse was the year he went to Cleveland. 

Weather impacts a game here and there but it does not explain Allen being bad with his comp%

So someone involved with th stadium operations told me that in a morning meeting they were told that the stadium failed some critical inspection, and the entire 300 level needs to be torn down and replaced. Apparently that is what the "big January announcement" is.