Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

So is it like "birther"?

It preceded it in relation to 9/11. Birther was a derivation of it. There are others. It might not be exclusively a righty thing. Still dumb though, and usually what comes out when there are no more arguments left.

Edited by SwampD

3 minutes ago, tom webster said:

The amount of people that would have to be involved to fix NFL games and keep it quiet is mind boggling. Call me when you have someone whipping to talk.

I mean, it can't be harder to fix than a birth certificate, right?

23 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I’ve seen Ravens fans and Chiefs fans both posting that they are glad that they don’t have to face the Bills in the playoffs. 

Is it really a stretch to think that those in charge of the NFL don’t feel the same?

If we're going purely on population, you have a point with Baltimore, but the KC metro area is around the same as Buffalo+Rochester (not counting Lower Ontario). What possible reason would the NFL have to prefer the Chiefs over the Bills?

Edited by MattPie

13 minutes ago, tom webster said:

The amount of people that would have to be involved to fix NFL games and keep it quiet is mind boggling. Call me when you have someone whipping to talk.

Why? Three holding calls on big plays is might be enough. 

Just now, MattPie said:

If we're going purely on population, you have a point with Baltimore, but the KC metro area is around the same as Buffalo+Rochester+Lower Ontario. What possible reason would the NFL have to prefer the Chiefs over the Bills?

Canada doesn’t count in ratings.

2 minutes ago, MattPie said:

If we're going purely on population, you have a point with Baltimore, but the KC metro area is around the same as Buffalo+Rochester (not counting Lower Ontario). What possible reason would the NFL have to prefer the Chiefs over the Bills?

Houston is the 4th largest city in the country.  It is Houston that survived, not Balto or KC.

The league has at least a competency problem, probably a cheating problem (a certain team has been caught three times now), and a scripting problem is not out of the realm of possibility.

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Canada doesn’t count in ratings.

And this.

12 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Why? Three holding calls on big plays is might be enough. 

International cricket is bigger than the NFL and there are all sorts of shenanigans there.  In other words:  agreed.

Edited by Eleven

9 hours ago, Eleven said:

Not sure what "refs truther" is, but I changed this season, during the second Pats game.  I've seen enough.  If it looks like poo and smells like poo, well, it's poo.  Something is, indeed, rotten in the state of Denmark.

I didn't watch enough of those other two games to see if they were susceptible to manipulation.

The Pats were down by 1 to Tennessee until there were 10 seconds left.   If the fix had been in, there was ample opportunity.  

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

Just like when it was preposterous in then NHL, only to find emails stating they we're sending certain refs to certain games to get certain results. There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

I'll ask again. Do you think that "the refs" didn't see a single thing during play that was a penalty on Houston?

Got a link for the half-baked NHL conspiracy theory?

And while we’re repeating questions: were “the refs” trying to help the Bills win vs Baltimore?

8 hours ago, tom webster said:

Thank heavens for an adult in the room   

7 hours ago, Eleven said:

Houston is the 4th largest city in the country.  It is Houston that survived, not Balto or KC.

The league has at least a competency problem, probably a cheating problem (a certain team has been caught three times now), and a scripting problem is not out of the realm of possibility.

And this.

Yes, it is.  

36 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Got a link for the half-baked NHL conspiracy theory?

And while we’re repeating questions: were “the refs” trying to help the Bills win vs Baltimore?

Do you really not remember the Colin Campbell email scandal? Really? Good lord. We had a thread about it and talked about it for days here. You must have put it out of your mind because it didn’t fit your world view.

As to the Bills/Baltimore game, maybe. I don’t know. I’d have to go back and watch it to see if I even agree with how you saw those plays. If I said yes would it make you feel better. It wouldn’t make me feel better.

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Do you really not remember the Colin Campbell email scandal? Really? Good lord. We had a thread about it and talked about it for days here. You must have put it out of your mind because it didn’t fit your world view.

As to the Bills/Baltimore game, maybe. I don’t know. I’d have to go back and watch it to see if I even agree with how you saw those plays. If I said yes would it make you feel better. It wouldn’t make me feel better.

So — no link, no data, no facts — just “the refs screwed us like they always do, and I think I remember another time when something kinda like that happened?”

Good stuff!

If we cede the argument to SwampD and Eleven et al, the question that emerges is why these guys want to watch games that are rigged against their teams? Is it kind of like the fans of professional wrestlers who never are allowed to win? I mean, if that's what floats your boat, fine. Seems kinda weird.

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

If we cede the argument to SwampD and Eleven et al, the question that emerges is why these guys want to watch games that are rigged against their teams? Is it kind of like the fans of professional wrestlers who never are allowed to win? I mean, if that's what floats your boat, fine. Seems kinda weird.

I don’t believe it’s every game. Sometimes it is just those natural biases better teams get. And sometimes it’s flat out fix.

Why do I watch? I love the game. The NFL has ruined that game and I’ve already reduced my intake of it by a lot. I chose to do other things several times this year and haven’t watched the past 2 SBs.

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I don’t believe it’s every game. Sometimes it is just those natural biases better teams get. And sometimes it’s flat out fix.

Why do I watch? I love the game. The NFL has ruined that game and I’ve already reduced my intake of it by a lot. I chose to do other things several times this year and haven’t watched the past 2 SBs.

Please provide some examples of a "flat out fix."

BTW, the Colin Campbell email story was in 2010, when some emails came out in which he protested calls made against his son, who was an NHL player at the time.  It had nothing to do with fixing games.  But hey!  Your NFL team just lost a playoff game, in which they were outcoached and outplayed at QB -- so it must have been "the refs" perpetrating a "flat out fix."

What a load of lazy psychobabble you've treated us to.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Please provide some examples of a "flat out fix."

BTW, the Colin Campbell email story was in 2010, when some emails came out in which he protested calls made against his son, who was an NHL player at the time.  It had nothing to do with fixing games.  But hey!  Your NFL team just lost a playoff game, in which they were outcoached and outplayed at QB -- so it must have been "the refs" perpetrating a "flat out fix."

What a load of lazy psychobabble you've treated us to.

That was one part of the scandal. The emails also showed that not only did they know that refs were biased (which is bad enough) but that they were sending them to certain gains because of that bias. If that isn’t trying to effect the outcome of games than I don’t know what to tell you.

And just so you know, I wasn’t one bit upset over the Bills loss. Zero. Still not. Read my responses right after the game on why I thought we lost. I didn’t mention the refs once. It was a great game and a fun season, but I think you are naive to think that what I’m talking about doesn’t take place.

I've read several journalistic accounts of the email "scandal" and don't see anything remotely close to what you're describing re: biased refs and targeted assignments of those refs. It's kind of on you at this point to provide a link or snippet.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I've read several journalistic accounts of the email "scandal" and don't see anything remotely close to what you're describing re: biased refs and targeted assignments of those refs. It's kind of on you at this point to provide a link or snippet.

It absolutely was a part of it. We hashed it out here. I'm not doing it again as I really don't care.

The funniest part was Campbell's excuse, "I didn't think anyone would read my emails from 5 years ago."

Edited by SwampD

14 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Correct.

13 minutes ago, SwampD said:

It absolutely was a part of it. We hashed it out here. I'm not doing it again as I really don't care.

The funniest part was Campbell's excuse, "I didn't think anyone would read my emails from 5 years ago."

In other words:  "I refuse to introduce any links, facts or data to support my half-baked conspiracy theories, but I think we discussed it on this board ten years ago, and the refs screwed us again, and the games are fixed, so you do the math."

Calling this weak sauce would be an insult to weak sauce.

Just now, nfreeman said:

Correct.

In other words:  "I refuse to introduce any links, facts or data to support my half-baked conspiracy theories, but I think we discussed it on this board ten years ago, and the refs screwed us again, and the games are fixed, so you do the math."

Calling this weak sauce would be an insult to weak sauce.

At work. Wouldn't change your mind anyway. I'm baffled that you guys don't remember this conversation. It was in one of the lost Around the NHL threads (2010-2011?).

Wait a second. Precisely how many regulars here believe - truly believe - that there's a standing conspiracy to fix/script NFL games? 

Show of hands.

The refs made some blunders in the Texans game, sure. But if that Texans DB doesn't drop two sure-fire INTs (one of which should have been a pick-6), the principal reason for the Bills' loss would have been made even more clear than it otherwise was.

OTOH, I did listen with interest when that disgraced NBA ref (Tim Donaghy (sp??)) talked about how the NBA would actively work to have finals games refereed in a way that would extend a series to a more profitable conclusion.