Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

6 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Allen again goes crazy in the moment.  That’s who he is, lol, maybe if he had good receivers it would make a difference. 

When Duke Williams is the receiver he had to rely on for all the big moments, it’s hard to blame Allen at the end of the day.  And next season were poised to fix the damn receiver problem. 

Refs were horrendous. I get caught up every year and then get reminded how their ***** calling and non calling destroys every game. They call phantom holds to give Houston momentum on their TD drives, but then ignore their whistles on Buffalos redemption drives to the point where it nearly cost them the game.

Cant really blame Allen for those terrible missed assignments. Watson’s recovery time win the game was absolutely heart wrenching. 

Bills should’ve won. They should’ve lost after that disastrous drive down the field yet they managed to get it to OT and nearly defend two pointless drives in OT. The team has heart, game is hard. 

Not scoring in multiple red zones killed them. And I blame Daboll for that. I hope he leaves Im not impressed by any of the positives he supposedly brings. Don’t understand why our defense couldn’t make a goal line stand?  Those 2 point conversions shouldn’t have happened. 

At least it’s was the most entertaining game I’ve watched in a long long time. I had hope, something that Tyrod never gave me. 

Allen's performance in the second half was abysmal.  It was just horrible.  He's something like the 25th best QB in the league, depending on how you want to try to evaluate things, and we simply can't score enough points to win against good teams as a result.

And actually, Houston's D isn't even very good and they are very susceptible to a strong passing game.

They also have a HC who makes a habit out of getting his ass kicked in playoff games. 

He was still good enough to beat us.

Very discouraging game, especially with a 16-0 lead and being in total control at least through the first half.

Our record is likely to be worse next year, so I really wanted to enjoy the moment this year while everything fell into our laps.  It ended far too early! 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Nope. The only reason the Bills even had a game this weekend was because of him.

That doesn't mean that he isn't to blame for the loss.  He and Daboll share that blame.

It is time to expect Better from that team.  No more "hey, lil' guys made it to the playoffs!"  No more going to the airport after losses to the Cheatriots.  We should expect Better.

3 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Our record is likely to be worse next year

No, it isn't.  Another off-season for Allen to work on some things, and an opportunity to draft or sign a true #1 receiver (I love Brown, but he's a #2), and this team is going to be better.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

That doesn't mean that he isn't to blame for the loss.  He and Daboll share that blame.

It is time to expect Better from that team.  No more "hey, lil' guys made it to the playoffs!"  

He was hitting guys in the hands and they weren’t catching it. JFC! The only balls these jokers can catch are picture perfect spirals placed directly in their hands with no one contesting them. Any time any DB makes contact with any of them, they don’t catch the ball. They’re really not good.

An why is Dabol playing for field goals  in the third. They frigging went into their safe hide-hole shell. And why was there so many empty backfields in OT. He was calling the game like they needed to score a touchdown on every play instead of just running an offens to get down the field. It Was Terrible.

Not on Josh. 

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

He was hitting guys in the hands and they weren’t catching it. JFC! The only balls these jokers can catch are picture perfect spirals placed directly in their hands with no one contesting them. Any time any DB makes contact with any of them, they don’t catch the ball. They’re really not good.

An why is Dabol playing for field goals  in the third. They frigging went into their safe hide-hole shell. And why was there so many empty backfields in OT. He was calling the game like they needed to score a touchdown on every play instead of just running an offens to get down the field. It Was Terrible.

Not on Josh. 

...including Texans DBs. Twice, one of which should have been a pick-6. One can believe in Allen as the franchise without treating him like an overprotective parent.

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

...including Texans DBs. Twice, one of which should have been a pick-6. One can believe in Allen as the franchise without treating him like an overprotective parent.

Right. Just like every other QB in every other game ever.

I may be a bit overprotective, but to say he is the reason we lost borders on the ridiculous.

Edit: No, wait. It’s ridiculous.

Edited by SwampD

Cleveland apparently cancelled Daboll’s Interview today, no word if it will be rescheduled. 

I would look at moving on from him anyways and look at Pat Shurmur. He is horrible as a HC, but seems good as OC particularly working with younger QBs. 

I would draft a WR high, even trade up for one, and sign either AJ Green or Amari Cooper in UFA. 

• Like (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Allen's performance in the second half was abysmal.  It was just horrible.  He's something like the 25th best QB in the league, depending on how you want to try to evaluate things, and we simply can't score enough points to win against good teams as a result.

And actually, Houston's D isn't even very good and they are very susceptible to a strong passing game.

They also have a HC who makes a habit out of getting his ass kicked in playoff games. 

He was still good enough to beat us.

Very discouraging game, especially with a 16-0 lead and being in total control at least through the first half.

Our record is likely to be worse next year, so I really wanted to enjoy the moment this year while everything fell into our laps.  It ended far too early! 

After that fumble my wife commented he looked scared on the bench as if he was going to cry... No one encouraging him... think he got into his own head too much.  Maturity will help him.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

After that fumble my wife commented he looked scared on the bench as if he was going to cry... No one encouraging him... think he got into his own head too much.  Maturity will help him.

My take was that he put so much pressure on himself in the moment that he became overwhelmed by it.

That tells me he doesn't trust his teammates to share the load.  He's got to do it himself.  He needs to grow out of that.

• Like (+1) 1

IMHO, Houston got better QB play, better coaching and the better of the matchups between their stud WR and our stud CB and between their QB and our D generally. 

The Bills went conservative in the 2nd half, AND their execution down the stretch was terrible.

Even so, they would’ve won in OT had either Knox or (I think) Ford executed a standard block in Allen’s designed run in OT — which might be more a statement on Houston being a mediocre playoff team than on anything the Bills did.

I’d be fine moving in from Daboll.  The O didn’t produce nearly enough TDs this year or against a lousy Houston D yesterday.  But moving on from Allen would be insane.  he had some good and some bad yesterday IMHO like he frequently does, but it was his first full year as a starter and the sky is the limit.  He needs another good offensive lineman and a true #1 WR plus more experience and he could be a huge star. 

16 hours ago, Eleven said:

I didn't want that touchdown.

Why? That’s stupid. Rules are rules. Their guy didn’t know them. Ours did.

If that was [some other team not the Bills] the media would be gagging on [said coach’s ****] on how prepared they are to know the rules like that,... just world class coaching.

There is no justification whatsoever for taking those points off the board.

Yeah, NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

Not on Josh. 

I don’t get the complaints about what he called in OT. He had them 1st and 10 at the 42 and called a play that wins the game if Knox makes a block.

Then they are stopped from attempts game winning field goal on a horrible block.

My only complaints with Dabol are his use of Gore and I’m not sure if that’s all him. Other then that, the offense is still a long way from completed after changing nine starters and working with a second year quarterback. I hope he doesn’t get hired away and is able to install more of his plan with an added couple of playmakers.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I don’t get the complaints about what he called in OT. He had them 1st and 10 at the 42 and called a play that wins the game if Knox makes a block.

Then they are stopped from attempts game winning field goal on a horrible block.

My only complaints with Dabol are his use of Gore and I’m not sure if that’s all him. Other then that, the offense is still a long way from completed after changing nine starters and working with a second year quarterback. I hope he doesn’t get hired away and is able to install more of his plan with an added couple of playmakers.

It took too many 3rd and longs to make any of that happen. The only time someone is in the backfield, they get the ball and it’s a shock to no one when they get tackled for a loss. I think his play calling is atrocious and if not for Josh being really Effie good on 3rd, Dabol is gone. I think he sucks.

Edit: maybe he is calling the plays like he has the horses to make them happen. Please let this be true,... process...

Edited by SwampD

9 minutes ago, SwampD said:

It took too many 3rd and longs to make any of that happen. The only time someone is in the backfield, they get the ball and it’s a shock to no one when they get tackled for a loss. I think his play calling is atrocious and if not for Josh being really Effie good on 3rd, Dabol is gone. I think he sucks.

Edit: maybe he is calling the plays like he has the horses to make them happen. Please let this be true,... process...

There were two third and longs and one was caused because Allen missed a read and an open receiver and one because a lineman missed a stunt and caused a quick throw to Williams that he should have caught.

Read through the drive charts. You might be surprised.

In the age of free agency and small windows of opportunity it is vital for a young QB to work with the same coordinator for at least three years. It takes at least that long to install the whole offense and hopefully you have another coach on staff that continue the same offense if the coordinator moves on to another job. It would be a huge step back if they had to hire a new coordinator with a different philosophy.

Just now, tom webster said:

There were two third and longs and one was caused because Allen missed a read and an open receiver and one because a lineman missed a stunt and caused a quick throw to Williams that he should have caught.

Read through the drive charts. You might be surprised.

In the age of free agency and small windows of opportunity it is vital for a young QB to work with the same coordinator for at least three years. It takes at least that long to install the whole offense and hopefully you have another coach on staff that continue the same offense if the coordinator moves on to another job. It would be a huge step back if they had to hire a new coordinator with a different philosophy.

Probably true. I’ll just say that I have more faith in Josh being good than Dabol.

I also thought that (like a lot of times during the season) that played it soooo safe in the 3rd. It was painful, and it ended up biting them in the ass.

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Cleveland apparently cancelled Daboll’s Interview today, no word if it will be rescheduled. 

I would look at moving on from him anyways and look at Pat Shurmur. He is horrible as a HC, but seems good as OC particularly working with younger QBs. 

I would draft a WR high, even trade up for one, and sign either AJ Green or Amari Cooper in UFA. 

I'd be shocked if the Bengals don't use a franchise tag on him. Also AJ saw our QB for next year throw 7 TD's in the first half of a national championship semifinal so he might want to stick around.

8 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I've heard that it shouldn't of been a touchdown but rather a safety with it being Bills ball after the punt off.

It depends on whether you consider it a fumble or forward pass.  It was ruled a fumble on the field.  If the referee had ruled it a forward pass, that would have been an illegal forward pass, an offensive penalty in the end zone, which would mean it's a safety.  Either way, we got boned.

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

Probably true. I’ll just say that I have more faith in Josh being good than Dabol.

I also thought that (like a lot of times during the season) that played it soooo safe in the 3rd. It was painful, and it ended up biting them in the ass.

The problem I have with getting rid of Brian Daboll is the past success he had with the Patriots and the Crimson Tide. I understand that some of you are way more inside football than I am. It just seems to me that he should either work with what he has, or we need to get a better WR (which I totally agree with).

Having said all that, it was fun to see that the Titans beat the Patriots. To me, Derrick Henry is a very underrated RB. I saw him play in the Iron Bowl a few years ago at Jordan-Hare. He turned Auburn's D into swiss cheese, and he wound up winning the Heisman trophy for that season.

As for Houston, there's no way they're going to win next week. It's just not going to happen.

7 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

The problem I have with getting rid of Brian Daboll is the past success he had with the Patriots and the Crimson Tide. I understand that some of you are way more inside football than I am. It just seems to me that he should either work with what he has, or we need to get a better WR (which I totally agree with).

Having said all that, it was fun to see that the Titans beat the Patriots. To me, Derrick Henry is a very underrated RB. I saw him play in the Iron Bowl a few years ago at Jordan-Hare. He turned Auburn's D into swiss cheese, and he wound up winning the Heisman trophy for that season.

As for Houston, there's no way they're going to win next week. It's just not going to happen.

My concern is the flip side of the same coin.  How many "idiot" offensive coordinators have been run out of town to end up having very good to excellent success elsewhere?  Gilbride and Roman spring to mind immediately.

Not thrilled with the way they were using Gore, especially in the Texans territory and having him in there is on coaching.  But apparently at least 1 of his carries was due to an audible by Allen.  Won't cry if the Browns sign him, but there was enough he did well this year that would prefer to see what he can do with improved pieces to work with this coming season.

OK, I’m trying this for third time. These were the the second half drives.

1) 19 yard run by Allen followed by incomplete pass, 7 yard run by Singleterry and then two yard loss by Singleterry 

2) following fumble recovery, a 14 yard run by Gore sets them up for field goal. Drive ends when no one blocks Watt, no chance to tell what play was.

3) drive to mid field, as 4th quarter starts, 3guys decide not to block Mercelus causing fumble

4) Allen melts down after driving deep using Singleterry, hated run to Gore

5) drive down for tying field goal

6) drive in OT that should have been an Allen TD run.

Where is the problem? Gores run which may have been audible?

And to Swamps point about two third and longs, pass to Singleterry was awesome play by Allen, pass to Knox was more play design and Allen should have checked down sooner

Edited by tom webster

16 hours ago, tom webster said:

I'm not enamored by Daboll, and Gore getting so much use is all on him, but I agree with your assessment otherwise.  We need better players still, and next year is when the cap is finally available to not have excuses in the roster anymore.  We got rid of Owens early this year for Singletary and that was about as ballsy of a move any coach/GM could make, and it was a great one.  Singletary's injury slowing down his progress this season is one of the few reasons I think our offense took so long to discover itself.  As long as they can keep the defense mostly intact we're in business.  More reliable catchers, better blocking from the TEs, a new fullback, and at least one great receiving threat and it's a whole new team.

Just like the Sabres-- who finally have the cap room and the prospect pipeline built-up enough to actually compete next season.

Edited by triumph_communes

13 minutes ago, GoPre said:

Tua declared for the 2020 draft.  Even though there is uncertainty w/ his injury, he's projected to be a top 10 pick.  Latest mock draft has Tua going to Miami as the 5th overall pick.  

It would be interesting to see them wind up with their initial tank target even after the tank fell apart... or did the tank put itself back together?  I'm not really sure how to describe these things.