Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Common sense says we don't deserve that touchdown, I'm partially with eleven, as that's a pretty bogus way to score. 

But just like the 99 finals, as silly as the rules are, it's the rule and we should have been up another TD there. 

Exactly.

And, just like in '99, a decision that should have been made by the actual officials was made by somebody in more of an advisory, at best, role.

cats catnip GIF

47 minutes ago, sodbuster said:

I agree with this, if the ref on the field makes the call. The alternate referees running onto the field to overrule the officials working the game, however, does not sit well with me.

I guess I've been away too long. Who are the black ops dudes with earpieces who ran onto the field? Kind of a terrible look for the league.

Allen again goes crazy in the moment.  That’s who he is, lol, maybe if he had good receivers it would make a difference. 

When Duke Williams is the receiver he had to rely on for all the big moments, it’s hard to blame Allen at the end of the day.  And next season were poised to fix the damn receiver problem. 

Refs were horrendous. I get caught up every year and then get reminded how their ***** calling and non calling destroys every game. They call phantom holds to give Houston momentum on their TD drives, but then ignore their whistles on Buffalos redemption drives to the point where it nearly cost them the game.

Cant really blame Allen for those terrible missed assignments. Watson’s recovery time win the game was absolutely heart wrenching. 

Bills should’ve won. They should’ve lost after that disastrous drive down the field yet they managed to get it to OT and nearly defend two pointless drives in OT. The team has heart, game is hard. 

Not scoring in multiple red zones killed them. And I blame Daboll for that. I hope he leaves Im not impressed by any of the positives he supposedly brings. Don’t understand why our defense couldn’t make a goal line stand?  Those 2 point conversions shouldn’t have happened. 

At least it’s was the most entertaining game I’ve watched in a long long time. I had hope, something that Tyrod never gave me. 

57 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Common sense says we don't deserve that touchdown, I'm partially with eleven, as that's a pretty bogus way to score. 

But just like the 99 finals, as silly as the rules are, it's the rule and we should have been up another TD there. 

Good to know that the author/s of the Second Amendment came back to help the NFL write the rule.

When a runner declares himself down by:

1. falling to the ground, or kneeling, and clearly making no immediate effort to advance.

10 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Interesting discussion on ESPN, the rules as written have the bills getting that opening half TD, rules state, the player must go to the ground/take a knee AND, not appear to advance the ball, not or.

Though common sense looks otherwise, we technically got screwed. 

They use the example, if the end of the game, you are in victory formation, the QB gets the snap and just hands the ball to the official without kneeling, it's a live ball. Same applies here, he needed to kneel. 

The head official was correct in the initial call, and the other that ran onto the field changed his mind is what's being reported. 

Not that this is the reason we lost, but a TD there and the game is different. 

Officials aren't allowed to guess players' intent, which is what they did there. 

As for the ESPN discussion, I thought it was complete and total BS. That wasn't a TD. How many times have you seen the ball be bouncing around in the end zone on a kickoff and the guy just walks off the field and they call it. The guy calls it, picks up his gear, tosses the ball to the ref, WTF did the ref think, he should be banned from further games in the playoffs, what a bozo. 

They lost the game because 1st half Allen didn't show up and he also was horrible in the 2nd half, his weekly fumble, what the heck was he thinking on the lateral, poor decisions, etc..... I see a lot of Texans games, they also play some stupid football but like the Bills they're a physical football team and I think that's why Singletary wasn't used a bit more, as good as I think he'll be he did have almost 20 plays called for him and that's about tops for him. They needed more from Gore also

2 hours ago, sodbuster said:

I agree with this, if the ref on the field makes the call. The alternate referees running onto the field to overrule the officials working the game, however, does not sit well with me.

Yeah, I don’t “want the touchdown”, but I’m confused by the decision making process.  He “gave himself up” in a signal to his team (outstretched arms).  You give yourself up to the referee in quite another way (you take a knee).  I’ve seen a thousand penalties or results that stand because the player did something wrong.  What if he “gave himself up”, the players slowed to trots, and then he ran 108 yards for a td?  I’d love to see the ref responding to a screaming McD ...  “HE GAVE HIMSELF UP!”

Mike Gillislee “gave himself up” on a kickoff return against the Jets a few years back.

I’d have liked “common sense” to prevail on Ford’s block behind the play on what may have been the play of the game.

Do we want refs thinking about what players meant to do, or what players did?  Odd one.

44 minutes ago, jsb said:

As for the ESPN discussion, I thought it was complete and total BS. That wasn't a TD. How many times have you seen the ball be bouncing around in the end zone on a kickoff and the guy just walks off the field and they call it. The guy calls it, picks up his gear, tosses the ball to the ref, WTF did the ref think, he should be banned from further games in the playoffs, what a bozo. 

They lost the game because 1st half Allen didn't show up and he also was horrible in the 2nd half, his weekly fumble, what the heck was he thinking on the lateral, poor decisions, etc..... I see a lot of Texans games, they also play some stupid football but like the Bills they're a physical football team and I think that's why Singletary wasn't used a bit more, as good as I think he'll be he did have almost 20 plays called for him and that's about tops for him. They needed more from Gore also

The reason they just walk off the field when the ball touches the endzone on a kickoff is the league changed the rule this past off-season to make it a dead ball / touchback when the ball goes into the endzone untouched.

However, the league did not change the way a player gives himself up on a kicking play when they made the other modifications to the kickoff rules.  So, technically, the original ruling was correct.  (Or, if it were incorrect, it was because the play was an illegal forward lateral made from the endzone which should have resulted in a safety.)

Watching the play, was very surprised they initially gave the TD to the Bills.  Not shocked they overturned it.  Extremely surprised though by the process through which it was overturned.  And like Woody said, pretty much w/ @Eleven about not wanting to get awarded that touchdown, but technically it shouldn't have just been Texan ball at the 25.

And, considering the way they'd handled that call, was also mildly surprised that the Ford "blind side" block call stood.  All sorts of weird rules in the NFL rule book.

And just out of curiosity, did anybody else notice all the similarities (though obviously on a smaller scale) to the Greatest Game Ever PlayedTM?

Home team comes out completely unready for the game and is getting destroyed at the half.  Home team starts the 2nd half with the ball, does nothing with it and visitors score again to make the lead even more daunting (no one in league history had come back from 32 points down; O'Brein's teams have never come back from a 16 point deficit).  Home team starts comeback in the 3rd sided by a ticky tack missed call that went in their favor (Beebe's toe out of bounds, brain fart on touchback on kickoff) and has the game within reach by the start of the 4th.  Home team takes a 3 point lead in the 4th only to give up a tying field goal late to head to OT.

Home team wins by a FG in OT after getting some controversial ticky tack call(s) go it's way in OT on very game changing plays.  (Non-call on Talley in OT; non-delay of game in OT and Ford 15 yarder.)

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't realize there was a game on, I thought it was just the commercials between the absolute stoking and ball washing of JJ Watt. 

He has a brother, we saw his tweet, they wrestled, he had a pec injury, he says "let's go" a lot like an animal, he gave his team the spark, a true leader, no one else like him......kill me 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I didn't realize there was a game on, I thought it was just the commercials between the absolute stoking and ball washing of JJ Watt. 

He has a brother, we saw his tweet, they wrestled, he had a pec injury, he says "let's go" a lot like an animal, he gave his team the spark, a true leader, no one else like him......kill me 

Yeah, that was a bit much to take.  At least, as I  mentioned to my son while watching it, they weren't counting "hits" made by Watt; unlike when Teddi St. Steroid Bruschi came back from his self-induced stroke.  Though trying to claim sacking Allen on 3rd down NOT moving the Bills out of field goal range was the huge turning point of the game was nearly as over the top. 

9 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

LOL, I made a similar joke at home.  I called the game “JJ Watt: A Profile in Courage, and like, everything else”, with occasional updates on an NFL playoff game.  I wonder if ESPN was seeing some real time criticism.  The JJ fest seemed to slow down in Q4.

40 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And just out of curiosity, did anybody else notice all the similarities (though obviously on a smaller scale) to the Greatest Game Ever PlayedTM?

Yes, I thought of that, too.

36 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Oh, and you missed the fact that they had JJ wired for sound (but naturally, no one on the Bills was).

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, or not ...  but what poetic retribution for Houston, 27 years and a day ...  in a Wild Card game ... 

Edit to add ...  Just saw @Taro T‘s post of 22 minutes ago!   GMTA.

Edited by Neo
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jsb said:

Had he not caught the ball it would be considered a dead ball as we've seen all year. However he caught it in the air thus meaning the ball was live.

I've heard that it shouldn't of been a touchdown but rather a safety with it being Bills ball after the punt off.

The Colts.  If Brady were to play for another franchise, it’s the Colts.  Indianapolis has a questionable quarterback.  So they may be interested.  Colts have a quality offense for Brady to work with.  I really doubt Brady will go to a team that cannot considered as a contender.  So if the Pats decide not to extend him and he does not want to retire, he’ll be a Colt.

Let me add I just hope he’s done w/ the Patriots and the AFC East.  

21 minutes ago, GoPre said:

The Colts.  If Brady were to play for another franchise, it’s the Colts.  Indianapolis has a questionable quarterback.  So they may be interested.  Colts have a quality offense for Brady to work with.  I really doubt Brady will go to a team that cannot considered as a contender.  So if the Pats decide not to extend him and he does not want to retire, he’ll be a Colt.

Let me add I just hope he’s done w/ the Patriots and the AFC East.  

Colts will add Rivers.   I think pats will go after Rosen as back up for Brady.    Or they go after Newton.

2 minutes ago, GoPre said:

Unless there’s something I’m missing, what’s with the talk on Cam Newton?  He has a year left on his contract.  The Colts would have to give something up to make him their quarterback.  Why do that? 

All year word out of Carolina was they were looking to move on, so presumably, they'd cut him. Of course, Kyle Allen then proceeded to play like Nathan Peterman for half the year, so who knows. 

17 hours ago, SwampD said:

Pretty GD fun game to watch.

Josh Allen is a joy to watch. Anyone blaming him for this loss is a moron.

We need a real #1 receiver.

Dabol is garbage.

Just tackle someone, anyone.

We’re close.

That's a joke, right?  

Just now, Kruppstahl said:

That's a joke, right?  

Nope. The only reason the Bills even had a game this weekend was because of him.

I can’t wait to see what this team looks like when we get an actual #1 receiver.

Dabol sucks. 

• Haha (+1) 1