Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

On 12/17/2019 at 12:31 AM, Hank said:

Something about Josh. Some of his throws slightly high or slightly outside, just out of reach or off of finger tips. His receivers are 5'11", 5'8", 5'8", and his RB is 5'7". If we can find a decent WR with size in FA to go with the one we'll likely draft, factoring in probable longer arms to go with the height we might be looking at an increased catch radius of of 10-14" per man. That's a huge difference. Josh may look like a very good QB next year. 

AJ Green and Amari Cooper are available 

18 hours ago, WildCard said:

For those of you out-of-towners, the game this Saturday will only be on NFL Network

How is Rochester considered an out of town viewing area? 

6 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

There was a preseason argument in this thread about the Bills needing to pass more to be successful. Well, the Bills pass the 28th most (by percentage of their offensive plays) out of any team in the league. Here are the teams behind them:

28.Buffalo 53.32%|
29.Seattle 53.22%
30.San Francisco 50.33%
31.Minnesota 50.11%
32.Baltimore 44.65%

Their records are:
28) 10-4
29) 11-3
30) 11-3
31) 10-4
32) 12-2 

Two things. First, it's hard to look at those percentages in a vacuum without considering how good the defenses are and game flow. Buffalo, Baltimore, San Francisco, and Minnesota are four of the top 6 defenses by DVOA; Seattle is the worst at 14th. At least part of the reason they pass so little is they have leads. Second, it's not just the number of passes, it's what you do with them. 

Those 5 team ranks in passing offense DVOA:

Seattle 2nd, San Francisco 7th, Minnesota 6th, Baltimore 1st, Buffalo...20th. Sandwiched between Chicago and Cleveland. 

The Bills are having a great season and I'm enjoying the ride despite my skepticism. However, they profile a lot closer to last year's Bears than to any top tier contender. 

48 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

AJ Green and Amari Cooper are available 

How is Rochester considered an out of town viewing area? 

Have to believe Cooper gets re-signed, but if he hits the market, sign me the hell up. 

As far as Green, his recent injury run says he shouldn't be the only answer we bring in, but I did come across this stat:

Signing Green and drafting a rookie in the 1st seems like a reasonable play to me. 

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Thought the Bills fans might want to see this.  I found these autographs in my Mom's papers.  This looks like the sign in roster for the 1949 Buffalo Bills staring George Ratterman (formerly of Notre Dame) as QB.  

It took me a while to figure out which year, but Ollie Cline's only year in Buffalo was 1949.  Chet "Little Squirt" Mutryn was the star leading the team with 696 yards rushing (5 TDs) and Ollie Cline was 2nd with 518 yards.

1949 Buffalo Bills AAFC_000211.jpg

The penmanship is striking. Did they all have the same elementary teacher? Before the days of quirky individualism, I guess.

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Have to believe Cooper gets re-signed, but if he hits the market, sign me the hell up. 

As far as Green, his recent injury run says he shouldn't be the only answer we bring in, but I did come across this stat:

Signing Green and drafting a rookie in the 1st seems like a reasonable play to me. 

I'm not sure Green is actually that injured this year though. Seems like he might be doing all of this just to avoid playing for the Bengals this season

The problem is that AJ wants a long contract, at 32, he knows this is his last chance for a long hefty contract. His recent injury concerns (only played 9 games last two seasons) and age scare me a bit. On the other hand, he could be the next James Lofton for us, you never know. I dont think AJ is the right player to target. Next draft is uspposedly heavy with stud WRs, draft the best WR available and go from there

Two things. First, it's hard to look at those percentages in a vacuum without considering how good the defenses are and game flow. Buffalo, Baltimore, San Francisco, and Minnesota are four of the top 6 defenses by DVOA; Seattle is the worst at 14th. At least part of the reason they pass so little is they have leads. Second, it's not just the number of passes, it's what you do with them. 

Seattle 2nd, San Francisco 7th, Minnesota 6th, Baltimore 1st, Buffalo...20th. Sandwiched between Chicago and Cleveland. 

The Bills are having a great season and I'm enjoying the ride despite my skepticism. However, they profile a lot closer to last year's Bears than to any top tier contender. 

Last year's Bears, and the Bills of two years ago, had an abnormally high turnover ratio playing a major role in their success. This year's Bills are just good. 

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Will you be quiet? I have a narrative to push!

And I was definitely going to log back in and add that teams run when they get the lead too, so that it's kind of a self-fulfilling stat - but I also think it's fair to say that the offenses of those particular teams, with Brieda, Cook, Lamar/Ingram, etc. are heavily dependent on getting the run going, and using play action to pass based off of that. 

So, when a poster or two lamented the fact that we don't pass 50 times per game to 15 runs, and aim for 300 yards passing every time (which is a small subset of fans that want us to be better at passing, and capable of running a modern offense, which is most of us) they weren't quite in touch with things (I don't remember who it was, but a few of these posters exist on two bills drive, including a man that said he'd rather lose the Denver game with Josh passing for 300 yards than win it the way we did, just because he wants to see it happen) 

But, I fell asleep, so I didn't end up appending the post!

Edited by Randall Flagg

Also I'm pretty shocked that we're 20th in passing DVOA. I would have guessed like 29. 

If we can snag a good receiver in the draft, maybe another solid option in UFA, replace Gore with someone capable, and have Allen give a fraction of the reps to the deep ball he did to the middle of the field this summer, for a fraction of the return on investment, along with typical development of a 2nd to 3rd year QB, This could be a top 12 passing offense as soon as next year. I'm not confident about WHERE Allen will ultimately settle, but I like what I see from him now more than what I saw from Mitch the bitch last year. And given our slate of draft picks (I read somewhere we had 9?) and 90 mil in cap space, we're set to have the offseason Chicago did BEFORE they got good, not the one they had after they filled up their cap space and regressed to this season. 

And of course always improve the OL

We're gonna need a CB too, K. Johnson is gone and Levi is questionable and there's no one behind him 

We're gonna need a CB too, K. Johnson is gone and Levi is questionable and there's no one behind him 

10 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Also I'm pretty shocked that we're 20th in passing DVOA. I would have guessed like 29. 

If we can snag a good receiver in the draft, maybe another solid option in UFA, replace Gore with someone capable, and have Allen give a fraction of the reps to the deep ball he did to the middle of the field this summer, for a fraction of the return on investment, along with typical development of a 2nd to 3rd year QB, This could be a top 12 passing offense as soon as next year. I'm not confident about WHERE Allen will ultimately settle, but I like what I see from him now more than what I saw from Mitch the bitch last year. And given our slate of draft picks (I read somewhere we had 9?) and 90 mil in cap space, we're set to have the offseason Chicago did BEFORE they got good, not the one they had after they filled up their cap space and regressed to this season. 

I think they're content with Wallace as the #2 CB. He did have a few bad games this season, but his overall two-season body of work has been excellent. As fans, we may tend to think he's worse than he really is simply because he doesn't look nearly as good as White. Having said that, Carolina's James Bradberry is a potential free agent #2 CB the Bills may very well target because they have the money to do so. Ahead of CB, my off-season wish list includes a #1 WR, a starting RT, a RB to replace Gore, a pass-rushing chess piece on the edge like Clowney, and an OLB to replace Alexander (in that order).

So it looks to me like the most probable path to the Super Bowl is:

Round 1: at Houston

Round 2: at Baltimore

Round 3: at KC (some might say at New England)

That's an extremely intimidating path. But it's worth noting that this will be the best road team the franchise has ever had if they win Saturday (7-1 road record to surpass the 1964 Bills' 6-1 record).

NFL execs have chosen McDermott as the coach of the year. The actual award isn't given/voted on until after the season is over

https://wyrk.com/buffalo-bills-coach-sean-mcdermott-named-coach-of-the-year/?fbclid=IwAR3YfC0EfXKEVzI3me8Av1ExDFkPLJbQ5OqDG-W5-VtgFPPDexeemmGUjxo

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, WildCard said:

NFL execs have chosen McDermott as the coach of the year. The actual award isn't given/voted on until after the season is over

https://wyrk.com/buffalo-bills-coach-sean-mcdermott-named-coach-of-the-year/?fbclid=IwAR3YfC0EfXKEVzI3me8Av1ExDFkPLJbQ5OqDG-W5-VtgFPPDexeemmGUjxo

Wow. I would have thought Harbough in a landslide.