Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

Here you go LTS

I watched the game with my dad last night.

It will most likely be the last time we watch a game together.

He was put into a home in February of this year because my mom just couldn’t take care of him safely any longer. This week, they found Kennedy ulcers which means he could have as little as a few days left. My brother and I, along with my brother-in-law, took a bag of beers and a bottle of wine to his room and had an amazing time. Not sure if they had visiting hours. We didn’t care.

During the game, interlaced in the bouts of dementia and quick, morphine induced naps, were some remarkably clear remembrances, smart quips that got us all laughing, and cheering on the team. The nurse on duty came in to check on him when she heard us shouting. They then scored a touchdown so, of course, I told her she had to stay for the rest of the game. She ended up coming back at the end of her shift at 11 and watched til the end. We found out that she went to high school with and knew my cousins in Syracuse  and that my dad went to college with her music teacher. 

It was unbelievable, and yet not. How many times have we all made connections because of the Bills or Sabres? This board included.

I know he had a ball. Several time he had a huge smile on his face even though he couldn’t keep his eyes open. 

Whether they won or lost did not matter. Last night for me was everything sports should be and I can’t think of a better memory to be left with of him.

... still glad we got to see a win though. Gonna miss those Sunday night phone calls.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Here you go LTS

He was put into a home in February of this year because my mom just couldn’t take care of him safely any longer. This week, they found Kennedy ulcers which means he could have as little as a few days left. My brother and I, along with my brother-in-law, took a bag of beers and a bottle of wine to his room and had an amazing time. Not sure if they had visiting hours. We didn’t care.

During the game, interlaced in the bouts of dementia and quick, morphine induced naps, were some remarkably clear remembrances, smart quips that got us all laughing, and cheering on the team. The nurse on duty came in to check on him when she heard us shouting. They then scored a touchdown so, of course, I told her she had to stay for the rest of the game. She ended up coming back at the end of her shift at 11 and watched til the end. We found out that she went to high school with and knew my cousins in Syracuse  and that my dad went to college with her music teacher. 

It was unbelievable, and yet not. How many times have we all made connections because of the Bills or Sabres? This board included.

I know he had a ball. Several time he had a huge smile on his face even though he couldn’t keep his eyes open. 

Whether they won or lost did not matter. Last night for me was everything sports should be and I can’t think of a better memory to be left with of him.

... still glad we got to see a win though. Gonna miss those Sunday night phone calls.

Wasn't sure whether to go w/ awesome or sad for the reaction.  Your experience yesterday inspires a bit of both.  Glad you now have a great recent memory of your father and family.  I hope you get to reflect on it and smile about it often.  Sorry that it seems you won't get many more of them. 

Truly hope 2020 goes better for you and yours than 2019 did.  ?

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Here you go LTS

Cheez, Swamp.  It's getting dusty in here.

Interesting article from the Athletic by Tim Graham about last night's game and goes towards McDermott's seeming Belichickian attention to details.

Apparently, when at home and needing the D to step up and the crowd to get worked into a frenzy they play Styx' Renegade before the series.  They've had some try good results from it.

And McDermott blasted it during practice this week somewhere between 30-150 times so when it started playing, it didn't faze the Bills - it pumped THEM up.  Guys were going nuts on the sideline and Allen came out and hit Brown for a 40 yard gain and the drive ended with the winning TD.

Apparent, the Bills are considering looking at the song like a college rivalry trophy and might start using it too, since they "won" it from the Steelers.

Brash, but kind of cool.  And shows how they really do try to prepare for all the wrinkles.

https://theathletic.com/1463729/2019/12/16/what-the-cameras-didnt-show-bills-came-prepared-to-own-the-steelers-hype-anthem/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Here you go LTS

You know a fellow NT'er is with you.  Went through this a while back with my mom who was a quintessential hockey mom.   I'll be thinking about you and your dad tonight.

I usually hate the whole “run 10 yards up field to celebrate a sack” thing, but I have to admit that I really enjoyed Phillips mocking Watt’s “kick the field goal” motion late last night. Granted, he’s celebrating all while Pittsburgh is rushing to lineup, but it was worth it. That Watt celebration was poorly timed considering the fact that his team was about to give up the lead once that field goal went through the uprights. 

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Wasn't sure whether to go w/ awesome or sad for the reaction.  Your experience yesterday inspires a bit of both.  Glad you now have a great recent memory of your father and family.  I hope you get to reflect on it and smile about it often.  Sorry that it seems you won't get many more of them. 

Truly hope 2020 goes better for you and yours than 2019 did.  ?

I went with the thumbs up thingie, as it is a happy, but also sad story.  Seems that @SwampD was in the happy camp, which is the main thing.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Here you go LTS

Damn....

I'm saddened by the situation that brought this to fruition.  I'm heartened by the "We're hanging with Dad no matter what." that your family displayed for him. I absolutely love that the nurse not only did not shut you down, but came back to hang out and help make it even more special.

Cheers to you, your family, the nurse, and most of all your Dad.

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

Here you go LTS

It's incredible what people can muster up at the end of life. I've seen it twice. It's so beautiful and so sad. To bring it back to hockey, I remember what the great Pete Weber said with the Aud crowd on its feet with seconds to go in that building's history. "This is the way everyone will remember it." Your pops gave you a great gift last night.

3 hours ago, LTS said:

So a football teams wins 10 games for the first time in 20 years and makes the playoffs, legitimately this time, in the same period and people still devolve into hating on each other.

This is what is wrong with the Internet.

It's okay to be happy.  It's okay to not over analyze things, over debate things.  It's okay.

What hate? Why distort and exaggerate?

Nor is the country hating on each other. Nor are we divided. Nor is a civil war about to break out.

In my life, I always look for those who sow fear, because then I know they're trying to sell me something. Media, their content. Politicians, their platform. I'm not sure what your angle is, LTS. Maybe some kind of world view that you see in every shadow around every corner.

What hate?

9 hours ago, shrader said:

I always find it interesting how so many people don't realize that football is pulling people from a very different background than what we see  in our neck of the woods or in the northeast in general.  That faith-based outlook, it's huge around the football world.  The problem is that for so many people, the second they seem something unfamiliar, they decide to mock it rather than to understand where these people are coming from.  You have to think exactly like me or else I don't trust you.

I watched Sunday’s game with the coach of two coaches.  We talked for a long time about trust and love.  You are so, so, spot on about leadership and wild diversity.  NFL coaches are men you meet only a few times in your lifetime.

Imagine yourself walking into an NFL locker room and owning it.  These men are Senators, CEOs, Generals and Prophets all at once, each with a different style and emphasis.  Sunday gave us a Prophet and a General.

When you think “I’d not yell so much, stew so silently, clap so much, play so aggressively, so conservatively ...”, follow up and ask “would men follow you?”.

Would they do as you ask?

Xs and Os are necessary, but not sufficient.  Same with talent.

I believe the Bills trust and love.  We’ll see about Xs, Os and talent.  We are light years from 2016.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Interesting article from the Athletic by Tim Graham about last night's game and goes towards McDermott's seeming Belichickian attention to details.

Apparently, when at home and needing the D to step up and the crowd to get worked into a frenzy they play Styx' Renegade before the series.  They've had some try good results from it.

And McDermott blasted it during practice this week somewhere between 30-150 times so when it started playing, it didn't faze the Bills - it pumped THEM up.  Guys were going nuts on the sideline and Allen came out and hit Brown for a 40 yard gain and the drive ended with the winning TD.

Apparent, the Bills are considering looking at the song like a college rivalry trophy and might start using it too, since they "won" it from the Steelers.

Brash, but kind of cool.  And shows how they really do try to prepare for all the wrinkles.

https://theathletic.com/1463729/2019/12/16/what-the-cameras-didnt-show-bills-came-prepared-to-own-the-steelers-hype-anthem/

I left a box to join the crowd for “Renegade”.  No one owns Heinz field except the Steelers, but the Bills players and fans said “BRING IT” all night long.

There was a series, deep in Bills territory, in the fourth quarter.  The Bills defense was exhorting the crowd with their arms.   A roar erupted and was sustained.  The scoreboard flashed “Quiet, Steelers at work”.   HA!

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, shrader said:

I usually hate the whole “run 10 yards up field to celebrate a sack” thing, but I have to admit that I really enjoyed Phillips mocking Watt’s “kick the field goal” motion late last night. Granted, he’s celebrating all while Pittsburgh is rushing to lineup, but it was worth it. That Watt celebration was poorly timed considering the fact that his team was about to give up the lead once that field goal went through the uprights. 

I’m with you, completely.  I loved the kick.

Something about Josh. Some of his throws slightly high or slightly outside, just out of reach or off of finger tips. His receivers are 5'11", 5'8", 5'8", and his RB is 5'7". If we can find a decent WR with size in FA to go with the one we'll likely draft, factoring in probable longer arms to go with the height we might be looking at an increased catch radius of of 10-14" per man. That's a huge difference. Josh may look like a very good QB next year. 

• Like (+1) 6

11 hours ago, shrader said:

I actually hated that a lot. Get to the ***** line and be ready. A penalty there for being offsides would have stopped the clock and given them better field position. It really irked me. Celebrate when you win. 

A post script regarding the Steelers and their Renegade song tradition: It's fun and all that they do that (and the song does rawk for a stadium), but when I watched YouTube clips of Renegades at Heinz Field, I thought about how much cooler it would be if the fans audibly sang along.

I have no love for the SEC, Florida, or, for that matter, Tom Petty, but this is cooler than the Steelers Renegade.

17 hours ago, Hank said:

Personally, I don't believe in God. Parting of the red Sea, the Virgin Mary, water into wine, Noah's ark, the whole thing. I don't understand how educated people buy into the whole idea of a supreme being that can't be seen or touched but lives in infamy. So, you missed your mark on that one. This also isn't the forum for it. I prefer not to come across the religious hate nonsense on a hockey forum. Maybe I'm peculiar that way. 

I'm a heathen as well, but that's better than a hypocrite like McDermott. When all the stories came out about his chaplains and prayer circles, coupled with him strutting around like a poser in all his camouflage clothing, I did my part to take jabs at it and point out his nonsense. Kind of tough to take a pro gun, pro war stance while claiming to worship the guy who preached turn the other cheek, but maybe that's just me. Yeah it's off topic but so much of what gets posted on these and every other board runs off topic from time to time. I haven't been giving McDermott crap as much lately, but that's because I haven't been watching, not because the Bills have suddenly been winning. Otherwise I'd still be crapping all over his bible in one hand, rifle in the other schtick which is a cross between laughable and puke inducing.