Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Man - great post. I want to honk this especially. It really does seem to make a difference.

Of course, the team must first be good enough to win its fair share of games before chemistry can help give an edge. And this team is good enough to be that sort of team.

That's not my point. I too was a poster who regularly expressed concern with McDermott's approach and grounding principles (mostly the faith-based theme that Pegula laid down at the presser). I had no issue with the wrestling - that was mostly someone else here (@jeffismagic maybe? (sorry if not)). There were specific examples that I cited in detailing my concern - that book McDermott recommended to Beane (some lightweight Christian self-help claptrap (that's strictly MY take, btw)).

I had (and have) a personal aversion to what appears to be McDermott's outlook on the universe. And when the team struggled, I was willing to pin some or much of the struggles on the fact that the HC had an outlook that I deemed ... not well-considered. I posited that faith-based approaches tend to exclude rigorously intellectual reviews of facts and theories (as contrasted with, say, the Machiavellian Belichick). 

But my views on this have evolved, incrementally. At some point in time, I came to realize that a person like me - (overly) intellectual, highly (hyper?) analytical, closer to being effete than tough - is not the sort of person you find on an NFL roster, at least in any appreciable numbers. And I began to sense that McDermott's "shtick" might work quite well in leading an NFL team. And then the team started to put together better performances with limited talent and significant holes on the roster.

I always find it interesting how so many people don't realize that football is pulling people from a very different background than what we see  in our neck of the woods or in the northeast in general.  That faith-based outlook, it's huge around the football world.  The problem is that for so many people, the second they seem something unfamiliar, they decide to mock it rather than to understand where these people are coming from.  You have to think exactly like me or else I don't trust you.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Hank said:

I've been a supporter of McDermott and Beane from day one. This team was a tire fire when the came in. It looks like they started by shedding salery cap and questionable work ethic / malcontent players. Then they focused on improving the D, making it one of the best in the league while also getting the QB of the future. This year they improved the O line and may have added a very good RB. Next year is a very deep WR class, which I think is their biggest need. I think they've done a very good job so far, are trending in the right direction, and the future is bright. I'm excited. 

But for me, the best part about this year hasn't been the record, or the playoffs. It's that my eyes haven't been subjected to the Bible thumping wrassler mcjesus hate of years past. And the mcbeane/mcclappy nonsense has been minimal. 

Just for you, Hank. McClappy is a chickenhawk and when dies (just like the rest of us) nothing will happen.

9 minutes ago, shrader said:

I always find it interesting how so many people don't realize that football is pulling people from a very different background than what we see  in our neck of the woods or in the northeast in general.  That faith-based outlook, it's huge around the football world.  The problem is that for so many people, the second they seem something unfamiliar, they decide to mock it rather than to understand where these people are coming from.  You have to think exactly like me or else I don't trust you.

cripes, man - way to dog pile on the rabbit.

(ha!)

Edited by That Aud Smell

From Shaw66's weekly Rockpile Review on Two Bills Drive: 
"Having said that, McDermott’s conservative, game-winning approach can be nerve-wracking.  The final minutes of the Steelers game were anything but comfortable; taking a knee while a couple of minutes run off the clock is a much more civilized way to end a game.   A really well prepared team wouldn’t give the Steelers a free timeout with a needless penalty; leaving the Steelers with more than a minute and half, instead of less than a minute, put the game at risk one more time.  

McDermott’s approach is driven by where Allen is in his development as an NFL quarterback.  Allen is a cannon, and I don’t mean just his arm – he has the throwing, running and leadership ability to blow up defenses.  How do we know that?   He is tied with Russell Wilson for the league lead this season with the most game-winning drives (5) and most comeback wins (4).  But he’s young and learning, so he’s a loose cannon.  McDermott has seen his cannon blow up in his face (like against the Patriots) instead of blowing up the defense.  So what does McDermott do?   He doesn’t risk things blowing up in his face unless he has too.  He plays for the win, not for the highlights. 

McDermott lets Allen practice managing the game, practice making the throws he needs to make without putting the team at risk.  Allen gets to practice in the first half.  As soon as the Bills get the lead in the second half, practice time is over and McDermott is playing to win the game.   Winning the game means don’t give your young quarterback a chance to blow up.  As Allen develops into a more reliable weapon, I think we’ll see McDermott open up and go for the jugular."

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/221466-the-rockpile-review-december-football/

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

cripes, man - way to dog pile on the rabbit.

(ha!)

There's no intention of piling on.  The demographics of football are just very different than most of the northeast.  McDermott's mindset is more than likely very prominent in many football circles.  I thought that's part of what you were getting at with the comment about realizing that your thoughts may not line up exactly with the others in those NFL locker rooms.

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

From Shaw66's weekly Rockpile Review on Two Bills Drive: 
"Having said that, McDermott’s conservative, game-winning approach can be nerve-wracking.  The final minutes of the Steelers game were anything but comfortable; taking a knee while a couple of minutes run off the clock is a much more civilized way to end a game.   A really well prepared team wouldn’t give the Steelers a free timeout with a needless penalty; leaving the Steelers with more than a minute and half, instead of less than a minute, put the game at risk one more time.  

McDermott’s approach is driven by where Allen is in his development as an NFL quarterback.  Allen is a cannon, and I don’t mean just his arm – he has the throwing, running and leadership ability to blow up defenses.  How do we know that?   He is tied with Russell Wilson for the league lead this season with the most game-winning drives (5) and most comeback wins (4).  But he’s young and learning, so he’s a loose cannon.  McDermott has seen his cannon blow up in his face (like against the Patriots) instead of blowing up the defense.  So what does McDermott do?   He doesn’t risk things blowing up in his face unless he has too.  He plays for the win, not for the highlights. 

McDermott lets Allen practice managing the game, practice making the throws he needs to make without putting the team at risk.  Allen gets to practice in the first half.  As soon as the Bills get the lead in the second half, practice time is over and McDermott is playing to win the game.   Winning the game means don’t give your young quarterback a chance to blow up.  As Allen develops into a more reliable weapon, I think we’ll see McDermott open up and go for the jugular."

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/221466-the-rockpile-review-december-football/

Very nice. This is an effective explanation of what I see happening out there and it makes complete sense.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, shrader said:

Good post. I guess I don't understand pointing to the sky and thanking Jesus after something good happens to your football team. Beyond being mystified by that, I have no problem if Sean's coaching/Beane's management/Terry's ownership are "faith-based," as long as it's not an effort to convert people and as long as the rights of those who don't believe are respected.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, shrader said:

There's no intention of piling on.  The demographics of football are just very different than most of the northeast.  McDermott's mindset is more than likely very prominent in many football circles.  I thought that's part of what you were getting at with the comment about realizing that your thoughts may not line up exactly with the others in those NFL locker rooms.

i was busting yer nards. as i read your post i was like DUDE I KNOW THAT IS WHAT I JUST ADMITTED TO I WAS WRONG I'M SORRY.

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Good post. I guess I don't understand pointing to the sky and thanking Jesus after something good happens to your football team. Beyond being mystified by that, I have no problem if Sean's coaching/Beane's management/Terry's ownership are "faith-based," as long as it's not an effort to convert people and as long as the rights of those who don't believe are respected.

"thanking jesus after something good happens to your football team" and the more common refrain of "i can't believe people can think god chooses sides in sports" both fundamentally miss why people tend towards thanking a higher power when something good happens to them, even in something silly like a football game. It doesn't correctly portray what McDermott is feeling and thinking in that moment when he is doing that, or even come close to doing so

McDermott, and other religious people, certainly don't believe that god made them win a game or succeed on a play 

I don't purport to have the words or capability to adequately express what is going on, I've only recently been humbled to the point of understanding that I was faulty in possessing the same sentiment

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

"thanking jesus after something good happens to your football team" and the more common refrain of "i can't believe people can think god chooses sides in sports" both fundamentally miss why people tend towards thanking a higher power when something good happens to them, even in something silly like a football game. It doesn't correctly portray what McDermott is feeling and thinking in that moment when he is doing that, or even come close to doing so

McDermott, and other religious people, certainly don't believe that god made them win a game or succeed on a play 

I don't purport to have the words or capability to adequately express what is going on, I've only recently been humbled to the point of understanding that I was faulty in possessing the same sentiment

He doesn't point after the Bills lose a fumble — "Thank you, Jesus, for the life I have, to coach a game for millions of dollars, even when things go wrong." We should probably end the discussion here and now by saying neither one of us knows what's in his head.

1 hour ago, Drunkard said:

Just for you, Hank. McClappy is a chickenhawk and when dies (just like the rest of us) nothing will happen.

Personally, I don't believe in God. Parting of the red Sea, the Virgin Mary, water into wine, Noah's ark, the whole thing. I don't understand how educated people buy into the whole idea of a supreme being that can't be seen or touched but lives in infamy. So, you missed your mark on that one. This also isn't the forum for it. I prefer not to come across the religious hate nonsense on a hockey forum. Maybe I'm peculiar that way. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

He doesn't point after the Bills lose a fumble — "Thank you, Jesus, for the life I have, to coach a game for millions of dollars, even when things go wrong." 

There's a simple answer to that: because it wouldn't then be genuine thanks.  We are allowed to be humans with faults because, after all, we are humans with faults. It's okay, then, to admit that a "thanks" given after a challenge is put in your way would really be humanly disingenuous, because we would actually be aggravated, irritated, upset, and honeslty not thankful for the the challenge (in this example, losing the fumble). It's better (more honest, more genuine) to recognize that, and, therefore not fall into the trap of being disingenuous to your God.

Edited by ...
The Ghost of Dwight Drane

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

He doesn't point after the Bills lose a fumble

Setting aside that we don't fully know what the pointing is all about (although it's a fair guess that he's giving thanks to his God), we definitely do NOT know what entreaty he might make to the same God when things go against him, his team, etc. My guess? He does not give a point of thanks for a temporal danger, toil, or snare -- it's more of a murmured prayer imploring his God's fellowship and guidance through a difficult time.

• Like (+1) 1

So a football teams wins 10 games for the first time in 20 years and makes the playoffs, legitimately this time, in the same period and people still devolve into hating on each other.

This is what is wrong with the Internet.

It's okay to be happy.  It's okay to not over analyze things, over debate things.  It's okay.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LTS said:

So a football teams wins 10 games for the first time in 20 years and makes the playoffs, legitimately this time, in the same period and people still devolve into hating on each other.

This is what is wrong with the Internet.

It's okay to be happy.  It's okay to not over analyze things, over debate things.  It's okay.

NO! YOUR WRONG!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1