Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

12 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

That really does appear to be quite the move. 

And Josh developing to a point where he felt comfortable doing it. 

I know you are smarter then that. Upstairs, downstairs, uptempo, down tempo. A lot of it is just window dressing. Play calling is more of a process then anything else and evolves over time but it all comes down to players. This town has run offensive coordinators out of town who have ended up in the Super Bowl and who are now the talk of the league. When plays work, they are geniuses. The rest of the time they are either too conservative or too aggressive.

Another thing, a large part of the use of the uptempo has to do with the fact that they have only two legitimate NFL receivers at the moment and Knox is both the best receiving TE and best blocking TE. 
I’d like one of the numbers guys calculate QB ratings for passes of more then ten yards downfield thrown to McKenzie, Roberts or Foster.

OK, I was sure to double check my facts this time... But it was Thanksgiving Day in Detroit in 1994 when the Super Bowl era for the Bills seemed to end. The Bills went into the game at 6-5 and holding on to hope for a fifth straight appearance. They lost to the Lions, 35-21, and this time they wouldn't come back.

Is it possible a win on Thanksgiving Day a quarter century later will usher in a new, glorious epoch?

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Neo has it - a lot of battered fan syndrome made it very hard to try and talk bills in this thread earlier this year. It was fun to watch them in the preseason and learning how to win early, but every time a few of us tried to talk about it most of the responses were "yeah but the bills" and "same old bills" and "they still suck" 

I wasn't the only one but it was lonely! 

True always enjoyed wins and believed in us beating the teams we were better than, and Swamp, Juju and a couple others had fun too.

Then there were the guys who want to care so bad and still watch, but can't help the crushing feeling of impending doom, like inkman. Can't really blame them. 

Meh I think a lot of us have enjoyed the progress, questioned JAs development at times and dont trust the clapping of McD unsure if it was fake or not... hard to evaluate though it appears to be real.

3 hours ago, GoPre said:

? A play that sums this up involved Allen dropping back in the pocket and simply standing there waiting for a play to develop.  He did not bounce around.  Kept his feet flat on the ground.  No movement at all until throwing to a receiver 15 yards down field.  He waited a very “long” time for this happen.  Allen was very comfortable.  

Also note that during that play, the offensive line was doing a great job.  The unsung heroes on both sides of the ball are the Bills linemen.  As they come together as a team on offense, it propels Allen's development by giving him more time and therefore more options.  On defense they apply constant pressure to opposing passers, taking options away from the other teams' quarterbacks.

I am a bit surprised at how much of a tipping point this game has been for the fan base suddenly starting to believe.

It’s an 11-point win over an inferior opponent that the Bills should have won.

The Bills were already this team; it didn’t just happen yesterday.

History weighs heavy.

32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I am a bit surprised at how much of a tipping point this game has been for the fan base suddenly starting to believe.

History weighs heavy.

Suppose it does.

And it really wasn't fair to overlook them due to having a really easy schedule (on paper) to start the year.  But that's human nature.

Last night's game was a lot of fun.  Had my parents and kids both in town to watch. 

But, who knew that though it would take about 9 years, that Drane's prediction the Bills would win a playoff game before the Sabres won a series might actually turn out to have been correct?

49 minutes ago, dudacek said:

History weighs heavy.

I don't know nothing about nothing re: the NFL and the Bills, but to my eye, Josh Allen has never looked that good. That has to be driving the fever. And, they beat the Cowboys, in Dallas, on Thanksgiving. Dallas, Jim Nantz, a national TV audience, a bunch of ghosts...

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

History weighs heavy.

Not a soul outside of Buffalo thought Buffalo was going to win this. Combine that with a fun game, solid performance by both Allen and the coaching staff, add some pumpkin pie, an upset Jerry Jones and over two-decades of being a nothing nationally, and of course fans are going to be pumped up. 

2 minutes ago, ... said:

Not a soul outside of Buffalo thought Buffalo was going to win this. Combine that with a fun game, solid performance by both Allen and the coaching staff, add some pumpkin pie, an upset Jerry Jones and over two-decades of being a nothing nationally, and of course fans are going to be pumped up. 

Of course, now that they beat the Pokes, nay sayers can again point to the Bills having not beaten anybody with a winning record. ?

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Suppose it does.

And it really wasn't fair to overlook them due to having a really easy schedule (on paper) to start the year.  But that's human nature.

It also goes back to what was mentioned upthread. Think about how hard it is as a Buffalo fan to buy in. All of those hot starts during the drought only to miss the playoffs. Add in the Sabres looking good to start each of the last two seasons. Now add in what had been literally the easiest strength of schedule in the entire NFL (not sure where we'll stand after this week) so we don't know how much is the team or the schedule. It can be hard. You don't want to be burned yet again. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me ten times....

Anyway, I was planning on spending lunch researching projectors for Black Friday but I ended up just basking in the aftermath of our win. Go Bills!!!

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

I know you are smarter then that. Upstairs, downstairs, uptempo, down tempo. A lot of it is just window dressing. Play calling is more of a process then anything else and evolves over time but it all comes down to players. This town has run offensive coordinators out of town who have ended up in the Super Bowl and who are now the talk of the league. When plays work, they are geniuses. The rest of the time they are either too conservative or too aggressive.

Another thing, a large part of the use of the uptempo has to do with the fact that they have only two legitimate NFL receivers at the moment and Knox is both the best receiving TE and best blocking TE. 
I’d like one of the numbers guys calculate QB ratings for passes of more then ten yards downfield thrown to McKenzie, Roberts or Foster.

I must be dumb, because I'd put money on it being far easier to see the flow of the game and dissect potential areas of mismatch from up top, which is why he would decide to do it in the first place. It's no coincidence that, in addition to execution, the playcalling has been more sensible the last three weeks. And Daboll has said himself (according to Murphy) that he stayed on the sideline to have easier access to Josh and now can move up because of Josh's growth. 

13 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I must be dumb, because I'd put money on it being far easier to see the flow of the game and dissect potential areas of mismatch from up top, which is why he would decide to do it in the first place. It's no coincidence that, in addition to execution, the playcalling has been more sensible the last three weeks. And Daboll has said himself (according to Murphy) that he stayed on the sideline to have easier access to Josh and now can move up because of Josh's growth. 

We both know you aren’t dumb. Frazier doesn’t seem to have issues calling the defense from the sidelines. 
They changed more then his physical presence last three games, I’d argue where he is has had the least impact.

Just now, tom webster said:

We both know you aren’t dumb. Frazier doesn’t seem to have issues calling the defense from the sidelines. 
They changed more then his physical presence last three games, I’d argue where he is has had the least impact.

Frazier has been doing this a lot longer, and doing it with a defense he's had together for 3 years now. Not a very clean comparison. 

Maybe Daboll just had a coinciding come to Jesus moment, but the number of bad-to-horrifying tendencies and play calls, controlling for execution, has been about 1/50th what it was before the move

Edited by Randall Flagg

33 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Each person processes things differently.  What helps Frazier process the game and positions while on the ground might get in Daboll's way and vice-versa.  If you had a choice to sit anywhere you wanted at a Sabres game, so long as you chose your seats only for the view they provide, where would you sit? I bet you it will be different than where I would choose.  Can't believe this is even a thing. 

Edited by ...
oopsy

57 minutes ago, ... said:

You forgot to mention a 2 game lead in the wildcard race with 4 games to go.  This doesn't technically lock them for a playoff spot, but it pretty much assures it.  Had they lost, the playoff race would be wide open.

• Like (+1) 1

Finally got to watch this game. What fun!

Other than how they called the two hits on the QBs (incorrectly, btw) I thought the officiating was pretty (very) good. And I can defend those calls based on the fact that running QBs just don't get the benefit of the doubt in those situations. They were still wrong, though. Glad it didn't effect the outcome.

Josh is a gamer. I'm a fan.

Great block by Brown on Josh's TD run,… great block

***** Jerry Jones.

***** the Cowboys.

Go Bills!!!!

the only thing terrible about the officiating was that, once again, the Bills were on the wrong end of a brutally lopsided holding call disparity (i think it was 3 or 4 to zero holds called) despite the gameplay not actually shaking out that way (check out the Dallas OL on Oliver during his strip sack, compared to the one taht was called on us the very next play)

The bills have to be at a net -40 on holding yards per game this season. I think they hold a bit more than their opponents, but not THAT much more.

Edited by Randall Flagg

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

Finally got to watch this game. What fun!

Other than how they called the two hits on the QBs (incorrectly, btw) I thought the officiating was pretty (very) good. And I can defend those calls based on the fact that running QBs just don't get the benefit of the doubt in those situations. They were still wrong, though. Glad it didn't effect the outcome.

Josh is a gamer. I'm a fan.

Great block by Brown on Josh's TD run,… great block

***** Jerry Jones.

***** the Cowboys.

Go Bills!!!!

I remember another Bills QB that played with the same leadership, never say die attitude and somewhat like a linebacker; his name is Jim Kelly. 

The biggest difference.  This kid is bigger, stronger and faster.  If he can continue to complete 65-70% of his passes, we’ll finally have our franchise QB. 

On 11/30/2019 at 1:56 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I remember another Bills QB that played with the same leadership, never say die attitude and somewhat like a linebacker; his name is Jim Kelly. 

The biggest difference.  This kid is bigger, stronger and faster.  If he can continue to complete 65-70% of his passes, we’ll finally have our franchise QB. 

I'm not sure that's the biggest difference.  The biggest difference might be that Allen doesn't play hungover and/or drunk, as far as we know.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Does the NFL care that some fans' plans will be disrupted? Imagine the little kid who got tickets for his first game as a birthday present and now it's too late for him to go.

Would they flex any games if they did?

Would they play night games in January just outside Baaah-stan or in Filly if the fans in attendance were more than an afterthought?