Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

The cool thing about Allen is that he's starting to compare to Jim Kelly in various stats.  Kelly played 2 seasons of pro ball in the USFL before the league folded and he came to the Bills who had drafted him in the NFL draft.  The fact that Allen is drawing comparisons to him in his second year is very encouraging.

22 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

This is a key point:

It's not so much that he's "good" it's that he's getting better, and rather quickly.  The last two games made that very apparent.  The TD pass to Brown yesterday stands out to me as a pass he doesn't make last year, or even earlier this year.  He's getting through his progressions much more quickly and is learning to just throw it away if the receiver isn't open and he's being pressured.  He's turning from a shoot-out kind of QB to a game manager, although the shoot-out mentality is still in his DNA.  In other words, he's harnessing his talent with discipline, something that his critics doubted would ever happen.

Maybe. I'll be curious to see if he gets more consistent against better opponents. 

27 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

This is a key point:

It's not so much that he's "good" it's that he's getting better, and rather quickly.  The last two games made that very apparent.  The TD pass to Brown yesterday stands out to me as a pass he doesn't make last year, or even earlier this year.  He's getting through his progressions much more quickly and is learning to just throw it away if the receiver isn't open and he's being pressured.  He's turning from a shoot-out kind of QB to a game manager, although the shoot-out mentality is still in his DNA.  In other words, he's harnessing his talent with discipline, something that his critics doubted would ever happen.

This is likely only a temporary but necessary stage in his development as an NFL franchise QB. He simply doesn't have the experience (not just as a pro, but as a QB in general) to run a high-octane offense right now. To be honest, the current WR's and OL don't have the talent to do it either. But when you have a top-5 defense and a top-5 running game (partly due to Allen's own running skills), why not opt for the game-manager QB role a bit more? The team is a singular Steelers away game victory from an 80% chance of making the playoffs; they are an additional Jets home game victory from having their best record since 1999.

• Like (+1) 1

I totally agree with your point; that's why I mentioned his "DNA".  Ultimately I see him as a Favre/Kelly gunslinger kind of QB, as opposed more of a surgeon like Marino or Brady.  But to maximize the gunslinger upside, I think Allen will need a good foundation.

Edited by Doohickie

51 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I totally agree with your point; that's why I mentioned his "DNA".  Ultimately I see him as a Farve/Kelly gunslinger kind of QB, as opposed more of a surgeon like Marino or Brady.  But to maximize the gunslinger upside, I think Allen will need a good foundation.

Favre.

@woods-racer

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

That Lamar Jackson certainly making a lot of scouts look foolish.   Both him and Allen had growing pains but to me are the only two QB's in this draft actually making progress.  

Lamar Jackson is on another lever than Allen but that is ok, I think you need to be lucky to find  a gem like that.

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

That Lamar Jackson certainly making a lot of scouts look foolish.   Both him and Allen had growing pains but to me are the only two QB's in this draft actually making progress.  

Lamar Jackson is on another lever than Allen but that is ok, I think you need to be lucky to find  a gem like that.

Several of us had Lamar above Allen. Maybe not as the top QB of the draft, but still.

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Dallas is definitely beatable. I wouldn't bet on us to win outright, but I do think the spread is higher than it should be. 

Very worried about Gallup vs Levi Wallace. The Dolphins and others have exposed him as being a prime target to throw against in avoiding White, and Gallup is very good.

Plus ya know, that offensive line and Zeke against our very poor run defense and average pass rush

14 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

And though we've played bad teams this year, that doesn't mean he's doing this against bad defenses: Our opponents have defensive DVOA rankings of:
1, 5, 7, 12, 13, 18, 21, 27, 30, 32. Pretty standard 

Yea but which ones has he been good against? I know #1 he was very bad against. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea but which ones has he been good against? I know #1 he was very bad against. 

Did you see the stat I am referring to? He's 20/29 on converting 3rd and 10+ when asked to throw. It's not like he ws 0/9 versus 1,5, 7, and 20/20 against the rest of them. It's distributed pretty evenly most likely. We beat teams 5 and 12, And I'm pretty sure Denver was like 7th before we beat them up and sent them to 12th this week. And despite the 3 turnovers, Josh heavily outgained New England (375 total yards to 224, 23 first downs to 11, and yes, some of those were Barkley, but before Josh went out he had a TD drive and was in the middle of driving down the field again, well into NE territory, which is more impressive against NE's D than NE's lack of yards against our worse D) - that wasn't the first time a young QB had trouble with Belichick disguises (compare Darnold on MNF against NE to Darnold now, for another example). In fact the Ravens are the first team with a QB in the first 2 seasons to beat NE in like 25 games or something like that

But anyway, I don't know what your point is considering the stat was 20/29, and there was a whole spread of defensive rankings there, 5 above average and 5 below, obviously some of that success came against good teams and some came against bad 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Did you see the stat I am referring to? He's 20/29 on converting 3rd and 10+ when asked to throw. It's not like he ws 0/9 versus 1,5, 7, and 20/20 against the rest of them. It's distributed pretty evenly most likely. We beat teams 5 and 12, And I'm pretty sure Denver was like 7th before we beat them up and sent them to 12th this week. And despite the 3 turnovers, Josh heavily outgained New England (375 total yards to 224, 23 first downs to 11, and yes, some of those were Barkley, but before Josh went out he had a TD drive and was in the middle of driving down the field again, well into NE territory, which is more impressive against NE's D than NE's lack of yards against our worse D) - that wasn't the first time a young QB had trouble with Belichick disguises (compare Darnold on MNF against NE to Darnold now, for another example). In fact the Ravens are the first team with a QB in the first 2 seasons to beat NE in like 25 games or something like that

But anyway, I don't know what your point is considering the stat was 20/29, and there was a whole spread of defensive rankings there, 5 above average and 5 below, obviously some of that success came against good teams and some came against bad 

Weren't you referring to DVOA? I was just curious to know which ones Josh beat and lost too and their ranking. Not sure why this is so aggressive. 

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Weren't you referring to DVOA? I was just curious to know which ones Josh beat and lost too and their ranking. Not sure why this is so aggressive. 

Defensive DVOA. The miscommunication here is that I'm not saying that Josh's game was great or bad against any of his teams, I'm saying that his 3rd and long stat is stunning because it comes against a typical slate of defenses that you could expect to see in any season, not just an easy schedule one. He's first in the league at it somehow. There are a lot of things that I never thought he'd be able to do, so even though he's still got a long ways to go to be a top 10 QB, this season is full of surprises and tremendously successful so far