Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

6 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Bills doing exactly what they should be today. Attacking a vulnerable defense with pace, and not taking their foot off the gas against a lesser opponent. 

Now is as good a time as any to let Allen hit a 300 yard game.  I'm curious to see if they let him pass on this upcoming drive.

2 hours ago, JujuFish said:

Now is as good a time as any to let Allen hit a 300 yard game.  I'm curious to see if they let him pass on this upcoming drive.

Why do people continue to talk about 300 passing yards like it matters? Fitzpatrick threw for 323 yards today. Lamar Jackson threw for 222. Kyle Allen threw for 325.

It's not really that important - in terms of wins or in terms of QB development - for Allen to be throwing 300+ yards in any game this year. 

41 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Why do people continue to talk about 300 passing yards like it matters? Fitzpatrick threw for 323 yards today. Lamar Jackson threw for 222. Kyle Allen threw for 325.

It's not really that important - in terms of wins or in terms of QB development - for Allen to be throwing 300+ yards in any game this year. 

It's not as a measure of his development, it's because passing is fun to watch and he hasn't done it a single time.

55 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

It's not as a measure of his development, it's because passing is fun to watch and he hasn't done it a single time.

Phillip Rivers has more 300 yard games than the Buffalo Bills franchise. 

I think Allen will have somewhere between Trent Edwards' and Doug Flutie's number of 300 yard games in his career. Maybe somewhere between Edwards and Losman.

Every time I feel down about the Bills I watch any other NFL team play. 

Any time I feel down about Allen, I watch his peers aside from Mahomes and Watson. (Yes, I know we should have drafted one of those guys.)

NFL teams are not that good, and I wouldn't trade Allen for any QB not named Mahomes or Watson, under the age of whatever Russell Wilson's age is. 

The reason why I wouldn't trade him for Jackson is because John Harbaugh is one of ~3 coaches that would successfully convert their franchises the way he has for it to work the way it has, and we aren't one of those franchises. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Every time I feel down about the Bills I watch any other NFL team play. 

Any time I feel down about Allen, I watch his peers aside from Mahomes and Watson. (Yes, I know we should have drafted one of those guys.)

NFL teams are not that good, and I wouldn't trade Allen for any QB not named Mahomes or Watson, under the age of whatever Russell Wilson's age is. 

The reason why I wouldn't trade him for Jackson is because John Harbaugh is one of ~3 coaches that would successfully convert their franchises the way he has for it to work the way it has, and we aren't one of those franchises. 

Maybe.  Jackson is a talent.  

I like our coaches and management of the Bills.  They really have done a very credible job building this team.  There is still a way to go and Allen needs to get better as a passer, but he is definitely a leader and a player who gives max effort.  We haven't seen that here since Jim Kelly.

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Maybe.  Jackson is a talent.  

I've heard several people in the media calling Lamar an "athlete never seen before at the QB position".  Did they miss the Mike Vick years?  He ran a 4.3 40 and could throw the ball 70 yards.  I'm not sure what they are talking about. 

46 minutes ago, inkman said:

I've heard several people in the media calling Lamar an "athlete never seen before at the QB position".  Did they miss the Mike Vick years?  He ran a 4.3 40 and could throw the ball 70 yards.  I'm not sure what they are talking about. 

Lamar is quite a bit more accurate than Vick and better at working the pocket, which is maybe what they're getting at. 

56 minutes ago, inkman said:

I tend to agree that these takes are weirdly over-stated.

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

More proof that McBean saw Newton in Allen

Oh, there's just no doubt about it.

8 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Lamar is quite a bit more accurate than Vick and better at working the pocket, which is maybe what they're getting at. 

Sure, fair. He's an evolution of sorts. But to act as though he's somehow unprecedented is a bad take -- one that many dumb-pits seem to be offering.

11 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

There's a lot to unpack there; I think I get it.

I feel sort of similarly about Mahomes. If the Bills had drafted him, he would not be who he is now.

• Thanks (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, WildCard said:

More proof that McBean saw Newton in Allen

That seems unbelievable to me.  With Allen it really does some kind of mundane when he does that, like... eh, no big deal.

EDIT:  Having said that, having the run game part of Allen's toolbox seems.... appropriate.  When he runs, he does so with purpose and authority like a running back, not with a scrambly self-preservation like a QB.  The fact that he's such a good running QB continues to buy him time while his passing game develops.  That said, I think he needs to continue to improve his passing so that the running aspect becomes much less a part of his game if he's going to survive in this league.

Edited by Doohickie

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

That seems unbelievable to me.  With Allen it really does some kind of mundane when he does that, like... eh, no big deal.

EDIT:  Having said that, having the run game part of Allen's toolbox seems.... appropriate.  When he runs, he does so with purpose and authority like a running back, not with a scrambly self-preservation like a QB.  The fact that he's such a good running QB continues to buy him time while his passing game develops.  That said, I think he needs to continue to improve his passing so that the running aspect becomes much less a part of his game if he's going to survive in this league.

When you make it look easy doesn’t that equate to the player saying “watch this *****”. 

13 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Negative.  Vick was a better runner.

I don't know that I believe this. How many games of Lamar have you been able to see? I'm seriously not comfortable saying there are running backs in the NFL right now definitely better than he is at running

Edited by Randall Flagg

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't know that I believe this. How many games of Lamar have you been able to see? I'm seriously not comfortable saying there are running backs in the NFL right now definitely better than he is at running

I've seen quite a bit of Lamar.  He is terrific.  He is also sturdier of build than Vick was and a better passer.  But when running with it, pre-imprisonment Vick was a supernova.  He was the fastest guy on the field, when the field was filled with world-class athletes.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I've seen quite a bit of Lamar.  He is terrific.  He is also sturdier of build than Vick was and a better passer.  But when running with it, pre-imprisonment Vick was a supernova.  He was the fastest guy on the field, when the field was filled with world-class athletes.

I agree that Vick was faster. I don't think he was better. 

Spiller was faster than Freddie too. 

I've never seen Vick do the video game run Lamar had a couple weeks ago