Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

21 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Philadelphia is going to come into OP with a huge attitude problem given what's going on tonight.  The Bills had better be prepared.  And they'd better have Milano ready to go, too.

We really missed Milano, but I also think we were bound for a bit of a letdown.  Hyde and White are amazing players.

14 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

If Allen was fine, we need higher standards for QB play. Miami is one of the worst defenses in the league and they lost their best defensive player on the first drive. We were a heroic Tre White effort from losing. 

Yup. 

I can't understand the Josh Allen was fine crowd. He was meh for 75% of the day. For a guy with an arm to throw it 80 yards how come we don't see very many completions over 20 yards? Josh Allen should have feasted and instead we got another come from behind win against the very worst team in football. To be truthful I feel like I have seen regression in Allen. The first game he came out decisive and firing. Since the Giants game he has slowed way down and there's always several drives where he just can't make a decision to throw the ball. I would like to see more out of a Franchise Qb approaching 20 starts. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yup. 

I can't understand the Josh Allen was fine crowd. He was meh for 75% of the day. For a guy with an arm to throw it 80 yards how come we don't see very many completions over 20 yards? Josh Allen should have feasted and instead we got another come from behind win against the very worst team in football. To be truthful I feel like I have seen regression in Allen. The first game he came out decisive and firing. Since the Giants game he has slowed way down and there's always several drives where he just can't make a decision to throw the ball. I would like to see more out of a Franchise Qb approaching 20 starts. 

It's a bizarre dynamic. The team's 5-1, and yet, week to week, I somehow feel a little bit worse about the QB. OTOH, he still does enough to give hope as well.

Someone who works in media Tweeted yesterday that Allen reminds him of a more athletic Jay Cutler. And I was like: Damn. That's not far off.

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I believe it was Oliver's sack on the WR who was looking to pass.

What a bizarre performance by a reputedly excellent D.

It seems like Fitzpatrick does that to the Bills every time.  He'll follow it up with 18 interceptions next week.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I won't disagree with you; I have similar misgivings.  This team is winning based on being a defensive monster with a competent, but not high performing offense.  And yet when I was watching highlight shows yesterday (I didn't see the actual game yesterday), several of the analysts pointed out the ongoing maturation of Josh Allen. 

It could be that we're diving deeper into the numbers than the talking head analysts are, or it could be that since it's our team and they're perennial underperformers, we're looking at from a glass-half-empty perspective.

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I believe it was Oliver's sack on the WR who was looking to pass.

What a bizarre performance by a reputedly excellent D.

So Jordan Phillips's tackle of Fitz in the play at 3:16 of this video wasn't a sack?  Was it because it was so quick they didn't call it a pass play?  https://www.nfl.com/share/32052020-2020-4d43-502d-343730333131

Evidently not counted as a sack.

Also, shoutout to the showboating Bills d-lineman who was so intent on celebrating his big play that he failed to realize he was damn near sitting on a loose ball.

[The available replay doesn't really support my take, but the replays in-game did.]

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 2

This is one of those teams that plays up or down to its competition.  Though it was clear the defense took the first half after the bye week off.  At least it was only against Miami.  Both sides of the ball looked much better after the half, and that's the comforting part about the game.  Better than previous years' teams that would come out the gate strong and try not to fall apart before the end.

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Evidently not counted as a sack.

Also, shoutout to the showboating Bills d-lineman who was so intent on celebrating his big play that he failed to realize he was damn near sitting on a loose ball.

[The available replay doesn't really support my take, but the replays in-game did.]

If only someone had mentioned this when it happened ?

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yup. 

Who, exactly, would you prefer after 16 starts?  I looked at Montana, Mayfield, Brady.  His first year Allen had a bad D1 receiving corp and worse oline. Is the point he’s “not a pro bowl player”?

He wins.  I want the ball in his hands in the fourth quarter.   I’m not anointing him, but he’s ten miles ahead of my expectations.  What would you like to see more of after 16 games other than “all around all pro play”?  “Better decisions, quicker decisions, more touch, except when it should be more velocity, moving around, except when he shouldn.’t, going through prohressions except when he should be getting rid of the ball, bombs, but no hero ball.”

Well, I’d like that, too.   From every Bill ever.

You coined the phrase “Sam will be fine” and he showed less than Josh with a higher draft expectation.  What’s the standard, here?

He’s a QB.  The standard is wins.  Sometimes you run, sometimes you pass, sometimes you’re deep, sometimes you dink and dunk, sometimes you throw it away.   He wins.   You play differently, at QB, with a team with a great defense than you do with a team with a lousy defense.  I don’t want to see him do anything more than I want to see him win.  There’s no other position like it in sports.  I’d not be throwing bombs with that defense, either. 

I like him best from his draft class through today.  Darnold’s close.  Through today.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Neo said:

He wins. 

I haven't done the work, but I'd be willing to bet he has faced the easiest combined competition of anyone in the league, for his career thus far.  And with one of the best defenses in the league.  This is not a good argument at this stage of his career.

25 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

I haven't done the work, but I'd be willing to bet he has faced the easiest combined competition of anyone in the league, for his career thus far.  And with one of the best defenses in the league.  This is not a good argument at this stage of his career.

I don't know about that one. I'd definitely like to see someone put together evidence of it.

I do know that Josh Allen is the #1 QB in the entire NFL this season during the 4th quarter, with a 139.6 QBR and a 68.8% completion percentage.

What about quarters 1, 2, and 3? Well...that's where he's looking like a young QB still learning how to play in the league after 18 total career regular season games. Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, and even Jackson (if you overlook his incredible running ability) have all looked pretty rough for large stretches of their young careers.

The Josh Allen haters (as opposed to the skeptics, whom I find perfectly reasonable) are the instant gratification personality types who demand Pat Mahomes production with no regard for the concept of different learning curves and different circumstances for different people.

I certainly will expect a noticeable jump in improvement by next September, which at that point Allen will have had 2 full years with Daboll plus a likely 1st round WR and more solidification along the OL. I think we will see that jump, and I think Allen will go on to be a franchise QB (what type of one - somewhere between Stafford and Brady - I have no idea). In the meantime, just accept that Allen is going to frustrate at various points throughout this season. Fortunately, Beane and McDermott have put together the #3 NFL defense and a top 5-10 NFL rushing offense to help the team slip into a wild-card spot with a pretty easy remaining schedule.

8 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Sam Darnold tossing one of the worst QB performances I've ever seen at any level. 

Glad to see my assessment of Sam Darnold has held up.

My assessment was: He sucks. He sucked in college and he sucks in the NFL. He has a throwing motion like a windmill. And Carson Palmer is the only halfway decent USC QB in my lifetime.

7 hours ago, JujuFish said:

It’s not an argument.  It’s all any of us have, pro or con.   I’m saying he’s passing the test.  You’re saying it’s not much of a test.   Talk to me when you like the test.