Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

19 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This is almost correct. Ohio State did offer him *some* compensation--a free education--it was up to Bosa to avail himself of it. 

I'm very interested to see how the California law giving athletes a right to market their names and likenesses changes things.

How exactly does that work anyway?  They've always had the right to profit from their name and likeness, they just weren't able to do both that and play.  The thought that's constantly thrown out there about how they should be treated just like any other student drives me crazy most of the time.  It's fine if you want that, but let's not pretend that everything available to players is available to the average student. 

My personal opinion on all of it is that we will eventually see a complete split between the student-athlete label.  I don't know how they get there, but it's only true solution I can accept.  Allow them to go to schools specifically for sports and don't count as a spot in the classroom.  Those who want to do both?  Good for them.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

The idea that Bosa should have played a highly dangerous sport in order to show that he cares about a brand and profit center valued in the billions -- an entity that gave him precisely nothing in terms of legitimate compensation -- and thereby risk his own ability to earn tens of millions of dollars is ... laughable.

He signed a commitment to play for Ohio State and if he was actually fully healed and cleared to play, then I can understand the frustration of the fans and teammates who were unhappy. But if he was still injured and was advised not to play, then that's fine. While he didn't get compensated beyond a free education, he also got the opportunity to play for one of the best college programs in the country and showcase his talent that helped get him drafted to make his millions.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

How exactly does that work anyway?  They've always had the right to profit from their name and likeness, they just weren't able to do both that and play.  The thought that's constantly thrown out there about how they should be treated just like any other student drives me crazy most of the time.  It's fine if you want that, but let's not pretend that everything available to players is available to the average student. 

My personal opinion on all of it is that we will eventually see a complete split between the student-athlete label.  I don't know how they get there, but it's only true solution I can accept.  Allow them to go to schools specifically for sports and don't count as a spot in the classroom.  Those who want to do both?  Good for them.

Treat them the same as student artists or musicians or whatever.  When Emma Watson was at Brown, she could still make money off her talent and reputation. The better student musicians will get gigs; the better poets will sell poems; the better scientists might patent something.  If a QB gets signed as a car dealership spokesman, fine by me.

But paying them to play? I’d rather kill college athletics.  Institutions of higher learning are just that, and already too many lose, rather than make, money on sports. (Hi, UB.) Our education dollars should educate, not entertain.

Edited by Eleven

49 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Treat them the same as student artists or musicians or whatever.  When Emma Watson was at Brown, she could still make money off her talent and reputation. The better student musicians will get gigs; the better poets will sell poems; the better scientists might patent something.  If a QB gets signed as a car dealership spokesman, fine by me.

But paying them to play? I’d rather kill college athletics.  Institutions of higher learning are just that, and already too many lose, rather than make, money on sports. (Hi, UB.) Our education dollars should educate, not entertain.

I'm fine with that too.  If they want their paid teams that's fine, but at that point it should be separated from the academic side.  If an elite athlete is enrolled in a bunch of cupcake classes with zero interest from day one, I hope that never takes away a spot from someone who would actually be there for the education.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm fine with that too.  If they want their paid teams that's fine, but at that point it should be separated from the academic side.  If an elite athlete is enrolled in a bunch of cupcake classes with zero interest from day one, I hope that never takes away a spot from someone who would actually be there for the education.

In some cases, why are they even connected to academics to begin with?  It's not like every Auburn or Alabama fan is an alum of either school.  It's like pro teams to them.  The students aren't from nearby, either, in a lot of cases.

And it's not like every pro Buffalo athlete has a connection to our city; very few do.

So we *could* just divorce them, already.  Separate academics and athletics and let the U of Whatever "sponsor" a team, and Whatever State can sponsor another one.

Edited by Eleven

7 hours ago, Marions Piazza said:

He signed a commitment to play for Ohio State and if he was actually fully healed and cleared to play, then I can understand the frustration of the fans and teammates who were unhappy. But if he was still injured and was advised not to play, then that's fine. While he didn't get compensated beyond a free education, he also got the opportunity to play for one of the best college programs in the country and showcase his talent that helped get him drafted to make his millions.

Fans who are “frustrated” over a scenario like Bosa’s — an elite top level talent sitting out to preserve his health and earning power — have chronic cranial rectosis. D-1 football is a business. Pure and simple. There are a number of fictions and stories implemented in and around it, but those fictions and stories are just that. They are there to keep the wealth consolidated (it’s what money most loves, after all; to be near other money).  I do not for a nanosecond begrudge a guy like Bosa making a decision to preserve and advance what’s best for him. That billion dollar football brand doesn’t actually give a good goddamn about him. No reason he should feel differently toward said brand.

18 hours ago, Marions Piazza said:

Yes and he already showcased that talent. Bosa sitting out and getting fully healed up and ready for the NFL is one of the smartest moves I have seen a kid make. Bosa played 29 games for Ohio State. I think he more than honored his commitment to play. 

Also to your commitment thing, how many times do kids get injured playing college ball after they sign their commitment and teams cut their scholarship? 

Also he signed a scholarship to play football for free education. That was the commitment. He left school so that commitment was gone. He did not sign a commitment that said he had to play 4 years of College Football at Ohio State whenever healthy. Justin Fields signed a "commitment" to Georgia and then didn't get the starting QB job and left. Doesn't matter. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Fans who are “frustrated” over a scenario like Bosa’s — an elite top level talent sitting out to preserve his health and earning power — have chronic cranial rectosis. D-1 football is a business. Pure and simple. There are a number of fictions and stories implemented in and around it, but those fictions and stories are just that. They are there to keep the wealth consolidated (it’s what money most loves, after all; to be near other money).  I do not for a nanosecond begrudge a guy like Bosa making a decision to preserve and advance what’s best for him. That billion dollar football brand doesn’t actually give a good goddamn about him. No reason he should feel differently toward said brand.

People can agree with his decision but at the same time be disappointed that he made it.  A fanbase losing an elite player in the middle of the season?  Of course they're going to be upset and frustrated.

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

It's probably the ultimate who cares story, but this Richard Sherman thing is pretty funny.  You have to love when an attention ***** gets caught blatantly *****ing for attention.

That dude is just the worst. Talks non-stop about player safety and then has some of the cheapest hits in the league. Such a hypocritical attention ***** 

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

That dude is just the worst. Talks non-stop about player safety and then has some of the cheapest hits in the league. Such a hypocritical attention ***** 

My personal favorite was the complaining about violating "NFL etiquette".  This from the same guy who is a notorious taunter.  What's next, Smell complaining about people posting GIFs that make no sense?

People can agree with his decision but at the same time be disappointed that he made it.  A fanbase losing an elite player in the middle of the season?  Of course they're going to be upset and frustrated.

Fair. Some of this might be semantics. I'm not talking about a normal Ohio State fan who was, like, "aw, man - it sucks that Bosa won't play!" The people I have in mind are way more than just disappointed -- they're, like, sanctimoniously enraged; they're on Twitter getting MAD ONLINE; they're acting like stakeholders in THE Ohio State University who have been RIPPED OFF by a GLORY BOY athlete who does not understand the GIFT that it is to play for THE Ohio State University.

It's probably the ultimate who cares story, but this Richard Sherman thing is pretty funny.  You have to love when an attention ***** gets caught blatantly *****ing for attention.

He is a problematic guy.

My personal favorite was the complaining about violating "NFL etiquette".  This from the same guy who is a notorious taunter.  What's next, Smell complaining about people posting GIFs that make no sense?

Yo. Dude. @shrader. Just @ me, bruv.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

These guys do some fantastic video breakdown of Josh Allen every week, highly recommend 

really good stuff.

23 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Ohio State fans are the absolute worst. 

I'll see your Ohio State and I'll raise you Penn State. When the entire buckeye fanbase explains away child rape then you might have something.

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ubkev said:

I'll see your Ohio State and I'll raise you Penn State. When the entire buckeye fanbase explains away child rape then you might have something.

It’s worth restating every so often: Penn State needs to be razed to the ground and the earth salted so that nothing ever grows there again.  

10 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

It’s worth restating every so often: Penn State needs to be razed to the ground and the earth salted so that nothing ever grows there again.  

The crimes of a few don't condemn the whole 

• Like (+1) 1