Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Good. You get to keep watching. The others, who think the game is rigged, shouldn't be wasting their time. Why would you watch a sport that's rigged against your team? That's like rooting for (insert name of professional wrestler who never won).

I haven’t watched the Patriots play in years. Today was no exception.

46 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I would put forth that Allen's performance today suggests that he will never be the QB a lot of Bills fans hoped he would be.

It wasn't just mistakes, it was the nature of the mistakes at this point in his career.  

I can't think of a good QB who looked this bad this far into his career.

And right on cue...

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

I would put forth that Allen's performance today suggests that he will never be the QB a lot of Bills fans hoped he would be.

It wasn't just mistakes, it was the nature of the mistakes at this point in his career.  

I can't think of a good QB who looked this bad this far into his career.

It's his first full year as a starter. 

He got beaten by the top D in the league -- the same D that didn't give up a TD in the Super Bowl.

He may or may not turn the corner and become elite, but to think the story is written at this point is nuts.

Separately:  for the referee truthers:  did you have the same opinions when the refs gave the Bills the benefit of multiple questionable calls on scoring plays vs the Jets and the Giants (2 teams from a not-so-small market that ref truthers often think are favored by the refs)?

Or is this just a loser's lament?

13 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It's his first full year as a starter. 

He got beaten by the top D in the league -- the same D that didn't give up a TD in the Super Bowl.

He may or may not turn the corner and become elite, but to think the story is written at this point is nuts.

Separately:  for the referee truthers:  did you have the same opinions when the refs gave the Bills the benefit of multiple questionable calls on scoring plays vs the Jets and the Giants (2 teams from a not-so-small market that ref truthers often think are favored by the refs)?

Or is this just a loser's lament?

This post is nonsense.

EDIT: actually, I totally agree with the first 3 lines. The rest is your usual nonsense. In a one score game, the officials can make a difference. Today they did. 

Edited by SwampD

10 minutes ago, SwampD said:

This post is nonsense.

EDIT: actually, I totally agree with the first 3 lines. The rest is your usual nonsense. In a one score game, the officials can make a difference. Today they did. 

No one is disputing the bolded, but I don't think the bolded is your "theory."

I believe you typically argue (and have done so in this very thread several times) that "the refs" are biased against the Bills and thus "intentionally" give the other team critical calls because they want the other team to win and the Bills to lose.

Those dastardly refs are thus "not fair."

No?

Just now, nfreeman said:

I believe you typically argue (and have done so in this very thread several times) that "the refs" are biased against the Bills and thus "intentionally" give the other team critical calls because they want the other team to win and the Bills to lose.

No?

In this case there is technically reasoning to suspect a bias based on the Patriots' past crooked behavior and seeming ref assistance. 

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

No?

I don't care about saving the world. I'm simply talking about today and today alone. If the officiating was fair today, and today alone, I think we win this game.

Take that for what it's worth.

Now I'll say, if you string enough "todays" together, you start to see a pattern.

It most likely is not "anti-Buffalo", but is most certainly is "pro current darling."

It's a real thing. Multi-billion dollar industries usually don't leave much to chance,… certainly not competitive balence.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

In this case there is technically reasoning to suspect a bias based on the Patriots' past crooked behavior and seeming ref assistance. 

There is no "seeming ref assistance."  There is just sour grapes from the fans of teams that lose to the Pats. 

(The Bills are now 3-31 vs Brady, and McD is 0-5 vs BB.)

And if there is any team that the league would be biased against, it's the Pats, since Goodell has a longstanding beef with both Brady and the owner.

But we lost!  It must be someone else's fault!

It's ridiculous on its face.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

There is no "seeming ref assistance."  There is just sour grapes from the fans of teams that lose to the Pats. 

(The Bills are now 3-31 vs Brady, and McD is 0-5 vs BB.)

And if there is any team that the league would be biased against, it's the Pats, since Goodell has a longstanding beef with both Brady and the owner.

But we lost!  It must be someone else's fault!

It's ridiculous on its face.

This is patently false.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Are you watching their games?  They get away with stuff that no other team does.  They get phantom calls that no other team does.

I am willing to write it off as "good teams get the calls," but to deny the phenomenon itself?!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Are you watching their games?  They get away with stuff that no other team does.  They get phantom calls that no other team does.

I am willing to write it off as "good teams get the calls," but to deny the phenomenon itself?!

Even the Pats fans I know don't deny it.

Honestly what was Daboll and Allen thinking today, long balls with no touch into good/great/double coverage... A defense that owned the pats and all we had to do o do was play just average on offense. 

Turning over the ball that many times would probably see us losing to the dolphins, let alone the pats. Now I don't think the officials had their best game today by any means, and im still frustrated about the no ejection/retaliation on Brady (call me childish). But that's beside the point. 

My hope is that JA is OK after the hit and that this was a big learning experience, and going forward he will correct this. A short to middle game with gore running like a stud would have eliminated the Grey areas and turnovers and we'd be having a much different conversation now. 

Also was our O line as bad as it appeared on TV? 

10 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Honestly what was Daboll and Allen thinking today, long balls with no touch into good/great/double coverage... A defense that owned the pats and all we had to do o do was play just average on offense. 

Turning over the ball that many times would probably see us losing to the dolphins, let alone the pats. Now I don't think the officials had their best game today by any means, and im still frustrated about the no ejection/retaliation on Brady (call me childish). But that's beside the point. 

My hope is that JA is OK after the hit and that this was a big learning experience, and going forward he will correct this. A short to middle game with gore running like a stud would have eliminated the Grey areas and turnovers and we'd be having a much different conversation now. 

Also was our O line as bad as it appeared on TV? 

Belichick blitzes like there's no tomorrow, and they were already leading the league in sacks because of it. But our tackles are turnstiles from what I've seen. The guards and center seem okay-to-good. Spain is better than he was in preseason. Daboll and Allen weren't helping them with the amount of deep dropbacks, and the WRs had a tough time getting open consistently. 

I am actually more positive about this Bills team after this loss than I was before it. I think they’re really good. 

And it’s not “someone else’s fault” that we lost. (Hi nfreeman)

Hopefully Josh Allen will be okay. He’s going to be a great one (go back and look at how many multi int game Kelly or other great QBs have had early in their careers). The team plays for him, and that’s more important.

***** NE. ***** the refs. ***** the NFL. And ***** nfreeman, he feigns naivety, but he knows.

Go Bills!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Since about 2017, I would say that on balance calls, including and especially critical ones, have favored the Bills more often than not. I do think that good teams can get the benefit of the doubt more than bad teams, and that this is largely due to  an inability for refs (due to the fact that they're human beings) to be perfectly unbiased. I think being a fairly disciplined team helps this a lot. 

This is what's changed my mind about the league being "rigged" and wanting the Pats to win. Before 2017, when the Bills were notoriously undisciplined and lacking in football fundamentals, you'd see stuff like Sanders whining on the ground in a critical game in Denver, drawing the PI flag, and then getting up and giving a literal bow to the crowd for his acting performance. You'd see stuff like the drive-extending personal foul on Hughes for slapping his teammate in the helmet after sacking Brady on 3rd and 18. But ever since McDermott took over, I've seen us get benefits of the doubt - a critical drive-extending penalty at home against Denver that let us take the lead back for good just because Von Miller faked out helping Tyrod Taylor off the ground. Multiple wrong calls about turnovers in Atlanta, and dubious PIs in our favor as well - refs arguably took that game from ATL and put it in our pocket. Similar stuff against Oakland and KC that year. And the number of 3rd down drive saving penalties in the Bills' favor this year HAS to be at like 6 or 7 at this point, and not all of them were good calls. I don't recall any going the other way, because our defense is incredibly disciplined. I haven't felt shafted by officiating since the KB TD in Foxborough in December 2017, and going nearly 2 years without feeling that way has helped me to shift towards feeling that while there's plenty of incompetence to go around with NFL officiating, none of it is malicious. 

Just now, SwampD said:

I am actually more positive about this Bills team after this loss than I was before it. I think they’re really good. 

I was just telling my dad this. Going into the game, I was pretty sure about what our offense was, but worried that, while we have a top 10 D, an elite offense would pick it to pieces.

Now I feel the same way about the offense (they DID move the ball a fair amount, but of course need to clean up turnovers) but am not even sure if Chicago could have put up that performance today on D.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Thruther,... thats just dumb.

"Truther" refers to believers in whacked-out conspiracy theories.

The shoe fits.

55 minutes ago, SwampD said:

This is patently false.

Wrong.

55 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Any data on this?

For the record, I agree that the same hit on Brady would've gotten the defender ejected.  But that's not the same as what you are saying here.

20 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Since you are asking for data, show some that proves Goodell has a longstanding beef with Brady and the owner.

Dare I say, fake news.

Maybe before you assert that someone else's post is false, you could do 30 seconds of google:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/robert-kraft-opens-goodell-deflategate-donald-trump-article-1.2958959

Kraft was livid Goodell fined the Patriots $1 million and took away a first-round draft pick in Deflategate – the most contrived controversy in NFL history – but he was apoplectic that Goodell suspended Tom Brady, whom Kraft truly loves and considers his fifth son, for four games and dirtied the reputation and integrity of the player considered the greatest quarterback in NFL history.

Goodell has avoided Gillette Stadium the last two years with no indication he will ever come back or receive another invite to a party at Kraft's home in Brookline.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/07/robert-kraft-deflategate-nfl-roger-goodell-tom-brady-statement-war

“There are those in the league office who are more determined to prove they were right rather than admit any culpability of their own.”

Of course, it's much easier to just blast away with whatever half-baked notion happens to be residing between brain and fingers.

16 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Trying to decide if that's the best defensive performance I've ever seen from the Bills. Its only competition for me (since 2005) is against Rodgers in December 2014. 

I think they were better today.

It was indeed great, but probably not the best -- the Pats were shorthanded and the Bills have had some very good defenses in the past 7-8 years.