Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

23 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I watched and read a lot of in-depth things on Belichick in particular last spring. This is really what it boils down to. 

The Patriots organization seems to be run by intelligent people, whereas most other football  teams in the league are run by "football guys."

4 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Get ready for a 6-10 season 

I've been thinking we will be at best 8-8. More likely less. I know this is a cold blanket on those more optimistic but objectively speaking that's what I see.

Darnold, Eli?, Dalton, Brady, Mariota, Fitz/Rosen, Wentz, Keenum, Mayfield, Flacco, Prescott, Jackson, Roethlisberger are the QBs we'll be seeing this year. 

This Bills roster is objectively better than last year's. That doesn't always translate to more wins, because the NFL is wild

I think they'll be in the 7-9 win range like usual, and better than the Sabres for the ~8th season in a row.

They're also ridiculously easy to root for. The development of Jerry Hughes into a serene team leader has quietly been one of the better stories in Buffalo sports over the last couple of years. Lorax is the new Kyle. Tre is Tre. The safety duo is so fun to watch, and I'm incredibly excited for Edmunds. Hopefully Milano is fully recovered. 

Imagine if Josh Allen works out, and we get a stud WR in next year's loaded draft class. 

3 minutes ago, freester said:

If you think the bills will only win six games I can’t imagine what you think of the Sabres record. 

This forum definitely perpetually picks the bills for a bottom 5 team and the Sabres for the playoff bubble even though the opposite has almost always been true the last good while 

I believe 96% of the votes cast in the "which team will have a better season" poll last year were incorrect.

Edited by Randall Flagg

I'm just excited about football in general. It's becoming more and more fun to watch for me over the last few years. I absolutely love the new wave of QB stars, Mahomes/Watson/Mayfield/Darnold, and actually have some degree of hope that 
a.) the Bills' guy has a real shot to get there
b.) they will quickly try again if it doesn't work out

Like, all I ever asked for from 2005-2013 was that we just TRY to get a franchise guy. Even though EJ didn't work out and Josh might not, it feels so much better to be in the "actively trying" part of that process rather than whatever we were doing otherwise

• Like (+1) 2

I know this isn't a football forum but I'm trying to procrastinate here, so I'm going to go through with my predictions for every team (the W/L records might not add up, it's just a general feel for how well i think they'll do)
AFC East
1.) New England Patriots: 12 - 4. Same old same old. 
2.) New York Jets: 8 - 8. While Gase and Gregggg are rather mediocre and goofballs, I think Darnold is legit and their WRs are enticing, as is Bell if he still has it. For as bad as the outside of their defense is, the middle of it looks to be pretty damn good. They're on the rise, though I don't think this coaching staff is going to be there long-term.
3.) Buffalo Bills: 8 - 8. I think the right side of Morse-Ford-Nsekhe is going to be a wall, though I'm worried about LG. Either way, Allen and the backs will have a lot more time than they did last year, even if the line isn't GREAT yet. And while our skill positions are spectacularly mediocre, I like John Brown and Cole Beasley more than any receiver we used last year, so there's at least improvement even though it's not really acceptable yet. Someday we'll join the modern NFL with a modern TE. The defense should be solid, needs to be better in the red zone. You obviously shouldn't analyze the schedule before you see teams play, but it appears that our first half is a lot easier than our second half, so I predict a strong start and struggle at the end.
4.) Miami Dolphins: 3 - 13. Fitz throws for 432 yards and 4 TDs in each of those three wins. They're trying to lose. The question is do they draft Tua or try and wait for Lawrence? Or both? They robbed Houston getting 2 first rounders and a 2nd rounder for a mediocre WR and a tackle who was bad his rookie year and solid-but-not-spectacular in year 2.

AFC North
1.) Cleveland Browns: 11 - 5. They manage to control the egos in the room (mostly because the big ones, Baker and OBJ, are satisfied sharing 1400 passing yards and 13 passing TDs). The story/face of the NFL this season. 
2.) Pittsburgh Steelers: 9 - 7. Ben and Juju is still a lethal combination, I think I've read that their defense might be good this year? The RB they used in place of Bell did just fine last year. Drafted a nasty LB in round 1.
3.) Baltimore Ravens: 9 - 7. Lamar is really hard to get a handle on. The league could catch up to what they did with him last year, but he could also continue to develop as a passer and make that not matter. I'm not sure I like their skill positions much, but I'm pretty sure their defense is just always going to be good?
4.) Cincinnati Bengals: 5 - 11. Meh

AFC South
1.) Jacksonville Jaguars: 9 - 7. Not sure why I'm picking this, but I think Foles is better than Bortles, and their SB is not in week 3 this time. 
2.) Houston Texans: 8 - 8. They'll be better if their line doesn't get Watson killed by week 5, but I'm not confident in that, and the general clown organization vibes I'm getting right now limit their ceiling in this post, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they win 11 and take the division.
3.) Tennessee Titans: 7 - 9. These guys always seem to have solid of not spectacular rosters. We once again face them in a week 5 game, it will probably be the most forgettable game of the season like Bills-Titans games usually are. 
4.) Indianapolis Colts: 4 - 12. What a gut-punch that must have been. It's like when Eichel sprained his ankle the day before the season, but worse. The real shame is that for the first time ever, the roster was starting to come together around Luck. I think Reich is a good coach, and I have heard that Brissett isn't the worst (the only games I've seen him in are the Bills shutout of the Pats 3 years ago and then the snow game, so it's tough to judge from that) but I think the team's spirit for this season is shot. They're going to find a new QB quick though, and they'll be back before long.

AFC West
1.) Kansas City Chiefs: 13 - 3. Their offense will be electric, their defense a hair better. Rather than blowing teams up for a total of 5000+ passing yards and 50 passing TDs, they're going to take a step back in the stats department and focus on rounding their game out for January. 
2.) San Diego Chargers: 9 - 7. I thought Rivers' arm looked pretty shot at the end of last season. But their defense is awesome, and their team is well-rounded outside of that.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the 10-13 win range.
3.) Denver Broncos: 6 - 10. Mediocre. Von Miller is cool. 
4.) Oakland Raiders: 2 - 14. You just know Gruden is going to play Peterman at some point. 

NFC East
1.) Philadelphia Eagles: 11 - 5. Rock solid roster and coaching staff, obviously Wentz' health is critical. Their center is ridiculous
2.) Dallas Cowboys: 10 - 6. Another roster that appears to be rock solid. Fairly critical year in seeing what Prescott will be as an NFL QB. 
3.) Washington Redskins: 7 - 9. I know basically nothing about this team. Keenum had a good season in Minny? Maybe Haskins gets to sit and learn a full year.
4.) New York Giants: 3 - 13. They bad. Barkley is worth putting them on though.

NFC North
1.) Minnesota Vikings: 10 - 6. Don't buy the Cousins big game narrative, and as the guy from Minny in my office has reiterated nineteen times, they really have addressed their biggest holes on the roster and their goofy OC. 
2.) Green Bay Packers: 10 - 6. I really have no idea though. With Rodgers anything is possible, although apparently he's a douche? No idea if their other weaknesses have been adequately addressed.
3.) Chicago Bears: 8 - 8. A step back, first place schedule, and I don't really like Mitch. Their D is scary though. 
4.) Detroit Lions: 7 - 9. Not a Patricia fan but I like their roster a little more than most people do. Scary D line, Hockenson is going to be a star. 

NFC South
1.) New Orleans Saints: 11 - 5. Brees, Jordan, that WR, Kamara, good stuff.
2.) Carolina Panthers: 9 - 7. All depends on Cam's shoulder. 
3.) Atlanta Falcons: 7 - 9. Can't say much.
4.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 6 - 10. This is a lot of people's surprise pick, I guess they like Arians. 

NFC West
This is the most interesting division in football to me.
1.) LA Rams: 12 - 4. This is a great team with a wizard head coach that has learned lessons from its super bowl defeat, and will be incredibly driven to get back. Aaron Donald......man. 
2.) Seattle Seahawks: 10 - 6. I adore Wilson, and I've read that their line might actually be better? And that their defense is coming around again? Bobby Wagner is special.
3.) San Francisco 49ers: 10 - 6. Yeah, I said it. I think this is a good team. Despite their first 2 QBs getting hurt last year, I'm pretty sure their offensive metrics were at/above league average, because Shanahan is good at that stuff and Kittle is sick. I'm a JG fan. Their defense might be solid too.
4.) Arizona Cardinals: lol 2 - 14. Interested to watch Kyler though.

Take all of these with a huge grain of salt because I really don't know much about football. 

4 hours ago, Radar said:

I've been thinking we will be at best 8-8. More likely less. I know this is a cold blanket on those more optimistic but objectively speaking that's what I see.

How are you speaking objectively? You are offering an opinion of what you think will happen this season, which is inherently subjective.

Here's my SUBJECTIVE take on the Bills this season: the Bills have improved at every position this season (except punter at the moment). Josh Allen has more experience and familiarity in Daboll's offense. Singletary and Gore will be better than McCoy and Ivory. Brown and Beasley improve the WR's. Kroft, Knox, Smith, and Sweeney have got to be a collective upgrade at TE. 4 new starters on last year's abysmal OL. Oliver and a healthy Murphy at DL. A full year of NFL experience for Levi Wallace and Taron Johnson. Better depth all across the roster. Better kick returner with Roberts.

I'm seeing 10 wins (Jets, Jets, Dolphins, Dolphins, Bengals, Ravens, Titans, Broncos, Giants, Redskins) and 6 losses (Pats, Pats, Eagles, Cowboys, Steelers, Browns) if no major injury losses. They'll probably drop a game or two that they should win (Jets, Ravens) and steal one or two among the tougher opponents (Cowboys, Steelers, Browns).

By the way, I've noticed how McDermott and Allen seem to take a lot of crap from people on this particular message board, much more so than other message boards. Why is that? Is it all the extra hate left over from the failed NHL franchise that is Pegula's Sabres?

7 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

How are you speaking objectively? You are offering an opinion of what you think will happen this season, which is inherently subjective.

Here's my SUBJECTIVE take on the Bills this season: the Bills have improved at every position this season (except punter at the moment). Josh Allen has more experience and familiarity in Daboll's offense. Singletary and Gore will be better than McCoy and Ivory. Brown and Beasley improve the WR's. Kroft, Knox, Smith, and Sweeney have got to be a collective upgrade at TE. 4 new starters on last year's abysmal OL. Oliver and a healthy Murphy at DL. A full year of NFL experience for Levi Wallace and Taron Johnson. Better depth all across the roster. Better kick returner with Roberts.

I'm seeing 10 wins (Jets, Jets, Dolphins, Dolphins, Bengals, Ravens, Titans, Broncos, Giants, Redskins) and 6 losses (Pats, Pats, Eagles, Cowboys, Steelers, Browns) if no major injury losses. They'll probably drop a game or two that they should win (Jets, Ravens) and steal one or two among the tougher opponents (Cowboys, Steelers, Browns).

By the way, I've noticed how McDermott and Allen seem to take a lot of crap from people on this particular message board, much more so than other message boards. Why is that? Is it all the extra hate left over from the failed NHL franchise that is Pegula's Sabres?

I think it's really just a product of the purpose of the message board. The same way this board bashes the bills and is optimistic about the Sabres every year, I see the exact opposite on TBD, where you will get pounced on if your criticism of the team goes above John Murphy levels and the Sabres are regularly the butt end of jokes. 

And people don't like McDermott because he appears conservative/old-school, and they're worried about Allen's accuracy on short/intermediate routes. 

1 hour ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Okay. You're correct it's my opinion. Actually I have no real feelings one way or the other on our coach,GM or team. By objective I should say not caught up in pre-season hype and over zealous fandom. About your 10 wins? Let's talk after the season. Hope you're right but doubt you will be.

18 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Get ready for a 6-10 season 

It just seems unlikely that a team with a completely revamped offense and a slightly improved defense that went 6-10 last year, does that bad again this year. 

I think they can 9-7. I'd loved to see them go 10-6 but have a hard time getting them there unless they split with the pats.

I think this is a good reason why I am skeptical of a repeat 6-10 performance. They added too much talent to the offensive line to end up just as bad. Also of the 11 starters from last years offense, we are returning only potentially 3 and possibly only 2. Dawkins, Allen, and maybe Zay. 

But this year’s depth looks more impressive yet when comparing it with the mess the Bills fielded for opening day 2018.

A look back at the crew that began last season in a downpour against the Baltimore Ravens and each lineman’s current status:

Left tackle Dion Dawkins is back in the same role.

Left guard Ducasse is unsigned.

Center Ryan Groy is unsigned.

Right guard John Miller is starting there for the Cincinnati Bengals.

Right tackle Jordan Mills is unsigned.

Tackle Marshall Newhouse played that day and is unsigned.

Bodine dressed but did not play.

Inactive were Conor McDermott, who is back with the Bills, and Teller.

The practice squad included Gerhard de Beer, De’Ondre Wesley and Ruben Holcomb, all unsigned.

https://theathletic.com/1178480/2019/09/02/from-diluted-to-dominant-bills-o-line-leaves-2018-in-distant-past/